Tabata or HIIT

Options
I've lost 140 lbs this past year, staring to plateau for the first time, lowered the caloric intake and still platueau'd. Was thinking of trying to incorporate Tabata or HIIT to break through. I lift 3 times a week and jog between15-20 miles a week. Any suggestions on a break through?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You generally want to increase calories as you progress, not decrease.

Re: Tabata vs HIIT, Tabata IS a form of HIIT. It's an excellent form of exercise and conditioning, but it has little or nothing to do with breaking weight loss plateaus.

ETA: congrats on a stellar weight loss!
  • The_Jurgen
    Options
    I did a Tabata the other day and measured the calories on my HRM (Polar). I burned off a 100 in those 4 minutes, which is about the same if I'm running at 8.0mph for 4 minutes. However, my heart rate went higher in Tabata - which is what it is designed to do. The theory is that if done at the beginning of the day, that it will leave you in a higher metabolic state post-workout, where you will then burn calories at a greater rate.

Give it a try and put it at the end of a workout (burpees of often the prefered exericse) and make sure your calories are baselined to your current weight and you're getting the right nutrients. I agree that cutting calories to low will ultimately be counterproductive for you.
  • nancydrew1964
    nancydrew1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure what calories you are at currently as to comment whether to lower or increase calories. However, with most plateus trying something new than what you are doing helps. I would try the HIIT training.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Either workout is awesome. I agree with more food as well.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    HIIT/Burst Training/Tabata are all great for breaking through plateaus. If you are fit enough to do them! I also love plyometrics at the end of a workout. (squat jumps, burpee/frog jumps/ split jumps) And I second making sure you increase calories. (healthy calories) Too little and your body will want to hold on to fat not burn it.

I like this treadmill workout from George DeJohn

warm up
    sprint full effort for up to 1 minute
    walk until you catch your breath
    repeat 10 times

Be careful not to fall during the transition. After my sprint I grab the rails and hop to the side, then slow the speed down.

Naturally be sure to use good form whatever workout you choose, you have to keep your mind into it.
  • tannjam
    tannjam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HIIT 3 times a week does wonders..Love it
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    HIIT training is great. Make sure that you progress slowly as it will be exhausting the first few times you do it. Go from 5 intervals of 30 second sprints the first time you do it and increase the number of intervals that you do each time until you get to 10. Great way to break a plateau. Do HIIT 3-4 times a week is all though.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You generally want to increase calories as you progress, not decrease.

Re: Tabata vs HIIT, Tabata IS a form of HIIT. It's an excellent form of exercise and conditioning, but it has little or nothing to do with breaking weight loss plateaus.

ETA: congrats on a stellar weight loss!

Yes for above!

I just finished my forth day of HIIT and so far, I love it! I can burn around 500 in about 40 minutes AND it's a great work out. I feel so much better when I'm done the just the plain old tread mill jogging at 4.5 mph.
    I'm not getting bored. That's the important thing to me. And if I do I can switch machines.
    It's pretty intense, so I could break a plateau. However, it's not designed to. It's to get you into good cardio health.

Dido on the wonderful progress!