Not loosing weight!

Options
Hey guys!

I need some help :embarassed:

I started my plan on MFP 4 days ago. I already dieted in the past, and I know if I eat like 1000 kcal a day, eating healthy foods, I'll loose weight.

So this time I put my goal on 1000 kcal a day, and I spent at least 45min to 1 hour doing sport (most of the time I work out at home - fitness - or I go to the swimming pool, cause I'm not a big fan of running, especially in winter :laugh: )

But, here's my problem. Well...I'm gaining weight!
I used to loose my weight really easy and quick by the past (like 3 pounds a week) and now I feel stucked.

What do you think? Is it because of muscle? Do I need to eat less? More? Do more sport, or less? I'm confused.

I still have hope that if I continue the same way, I'll begin finally to loose some weight, but I'd like to know how long it takes...

I'm really not an expert with dieting, so I'll be happy to read your advices on this point!

Hugs from France, and sorry for my strange english :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JessMatts21
    Options
    i know you said sport type exercise....but what kind exactly?? i'm sure you know already, but just keep in mind that muscle weights more, so make sure not to get discouraged if you do gain a couple pounds to begin with especially if you ARE working your muscles enough to build them up...and eventually with more muscle mass, you should burn more calories naturally.

just remember: more muscle = more weight BUT healthier weight

AND your weight is said to fluctuate approximately 2 pounds a day. I am guilty of weighing myself daily, but to get a better idea of where you stand...i would say to pick a day, and only weigh yourself on that same day every week.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    A couple of things -
    First, 4 days is not enough to see real change. Give it a few weeks then you'll know if what you are doing is working.
    Second - it doesn't sound to me as though you are eating enough. Put your data into MFP and follow the numbers suggested, usually it is recommended that 1200 is a bare minimum for women, to ensure that you are getting enough nutrition to keep your body healthy. And note that MFP sets up your daily calorie allowance without considering exercise, so if you are exercising for an hour each day, you need to eat more to give your body enough energy.
  • allies94
    Options
    A couple of things -
    First, 4 days is not enough to see real change. Give it a few weeks then you'll know if what you are doing is working.
    Second - it doesn't sound to me as though you are eating enough. Put your data into MFP and follow the numbers suggested, usually it is recommended that 1200 is a bare minimum for women, to ensure that you are getting enough nutrition to keep your body healthy. And note that MFP sets up your daily calorie allowance without considering exercise, so if you are exercising for an hour each day, you need to eat more to give your body enough energy.

So if you're burning like 450 calories a day from walking/jogging, and you have it set on one pound a week, are you exercising enough to add more calories?
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1,000 calories a day?

I second the recommendation to let MFP set your calorie goal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    A couple of things -

So if you're burning like 450 calories a day from walking/jogging, and you have it set on one pound a week, are you exercising enough to add more calories?

Sure, that's a lot of extra energy that your body needs to burn to get you through the day. And MFP has already taken away 500 cals a day (to let you lose 1 pound a week) so you don't need to create that deficit through exercise.

Just make sure that your activity settings (where you said you were sedentaty or lightly active etc) only include regular daily tasks like work and wandering around the house, don't include exercise there, or you'll be counting it twice.
  • allies94
    Options
    Alright thanks! :)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    A couple of things -

1200kCal is a fictional number because it depends upon your height weight and gender.

However, 1000Kcal is considered a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) and isn't recommended for the majority of people. On top of that 4 days is NOT long enough to judge, even a fortnight isn't really. You could also be dehydrated meaning your body is clinging on to every last drop of moisture and, *TMI alert!* could leave you constipated. Drinking ENOUGH (not too little/not too much) water or getting it in in other form (foods like fruit) is essential in weight loss and just in general for your body's health and function. Your brain especially needs it to focus and concentrate!

I would advise that you eat more in general, I find the net calories thing a bit misleading PERSONALLY because I've found I fared better by eating AT LEAST my calorie goal and then just doing plenty of good quality cardio and strength training most days to bring my net calorie down. That way I don;t ever go hungry.

The quality of how you get your calories is important.

I choose plenty of lean protein. Sometimes in the form of meat, but I especially like things like beans and low fat cottage cheese which is whey protein, the same thing in most protein shakes. I also make sure I have a lot of Carbohydrates in the form of low GI stuff so things like porridge oats, bananas, honey, baked potatoes, LOTS of vegetable, wholemeal or rye bread. Itry to go for about 60-70% carbs 15-25% protein and 5-15% fat.

I very rarely cook with oil or fat, just a non stick pan and microwave and oven. I get some fats from the cottage cheese, one or 2 treats and in some foods like avocado.

I workout for 1-3 hours most days. And I make all that time count, no strolling around the gym or "relaxing" Smash up the cardio and weights. Stretches at the end and in the shower.

Hope that all helps.
  • healthytiger
    Options
    Thank you guys for everything! I really appreciate your advices.

So, I give me one week more to see if what I'm doing is working or not, then I'll try to eat a little bit more like you adviced.

Anyway, right now I eat 1000 kcal + my exercice calories so something like 1500 kcal a day. I don't feel hungry, but I have a sweet mouth, and I miss candies and chocolate bars so much :D

I also drink a lot of tea (a liter a day) because it's really cold these days!! And some water in bottle too.

When you exercice while dieting, is it possible to first have weight gain because of muscles then weight loss on the scale? Any experience of that?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to lose weight, I stick to around 1200 calories, exercise as much as I can but it takes me a while, some people are just like that. Just hang on in there, see it as a total change rather than a quick fix and eventually it will happen.
  • sarahmarieb36
    sarahmarieb36 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for everything! I really appreciate your advices.

So, I give me one week more to see if what I'm doing is working or not, then I'll try to eat a little bit more like you adviced.

Anyway, right now I eat 1000 kcal + my exercice calories so something like 1500 kcal a day. I don't feel hungry, but I have a sweet mouth, and I miss candies and chocolate bars so much :D

I also drink a lot of tea (a liter a day) because it's really cold these days!! And some water in bottle too.

When you exercice while dieting, is it possible to first have weight gain because of muscles then weight loss on the scale? Any experience of that?

i think this might help. it helped me a lot when i was first starting out and had a lot of questions. (its kinda long, but well worth the read) hope it helps!! feel free to friend me if ya need more encouragement =)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    4 days?
    Come back in 4 months, and then lets talk.
    And do this:
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.
    In 4 months you'll be 20 lbs lighter and much more healthy.
    You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    wow... most people post a "not losing" thread after a week or two. i don't think i've ever seen someone post up in just four. congrats.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1,000 calories a day?

I second the recommendation to let MFP set your calorie goal.

I third! Your porbably not eating enough. Remember its a lifestyle change and not a "diet".
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    actually when you first start exercising it's rough on your body and your muscles retain water. You've not really gained muscle yet, just water you'll find loss occurs about a week or so into the exercise, but if you're not very big and setting your calories too low you won't lose much if any. It's not what we are taught to think but you must eat enough to lose weight. lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well your first mistake is your trying to loose weight instead of lose weight.

2nd. You have only been on here for 4 days. Give it some time
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    wow... most people post a "not losing" thread after a week or two. i don't think i've ever seen someone post up in just four. congrats.
    I don't think I've seen anyone tell someone they're gaining muscle in just 4 days before either....although that's usually thrown out there at least once on every "I haven't lost" thread.

To the OP..give it time, and no, you have NOT gained any lbs of muscle in just 4 days while eating only 1000 calories. Just stick with the program, eat at least 1200, drink the water, watch your processed foods and sodium, and be PATIENT!

Good luck!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Awww, beat me to it!

And just listen to the others, they know what they're talking about!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

OP is from france, give her a break.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    An average man eating a calorie surplus on a heavy weight routine can expect 2lbs of lean muscle per month, for women it's much harder especially on a calorie defacit. Much much much more likely is that you've started a new workout routine that stressed the muscles thus forcing them to repair. When muscles repair they take on water, this is what you're looking at when you get on the scales in my opinion. The water weight will naturally dissapate over the next 2 weeks unless you change up your routine again a la 30 day shred or similar style of program.