Weight routine suggestions

Options
Any suggestions on a new weight lifting routine? I've been stuck on same routine for a long time and i know i need to mix it up.
Goal is to trim down more but keep/refine muscle...

Current workout is 6x per week...

Day 1 Back/BI (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of elliptical, abs
Day 2 Chest/TRI (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of treadmill intervals
Day 3 Shoulder/Legs (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of elliptical, abs
REST DAY
Repeat above for days 4/5/6

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I prefer simple workouts routines that allow sufficient recovery time, currently..

Day 1.
    Squats
    Pull ups
    Bent rows

Day 2.
    Bench press
    Clean, & press
    Misc abb work

Day 3.
    Dead lifts
    Misc. Curls
    Bent arm pull overs or narrow grip bench

Whatever cardio excersize I feel like on off days, maybe body weight routine, or some type of lifting complex.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a straight Full Body workout routine? I have recently found one on a seperate site called Steve Reeves Classic. Basically its 3 day a week routine. It consists of the following:
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Barbell or Dumbbell Row
    BB or DB Overhead Press
    BB or DB Bench
    BB or DB Curls
    Dips
    Abs
    Start with 3 sets of each and 8 reps per set so Monday would look like this
    Squats
    150x8
    150x8
    150x8
    Wednesday you would add one rep to your first set
    150x9
    150x8
    150x8
    Friday add another until you get to 12 then start adding 1 rep to set 2
    150x12
    150x9
    150x8
    and so on until you can do all three sets at 12 reps
    Then increase the weight. Its all about progression.
    160x8
    160x8
    160x8 and so on
    Im on my third week and all ready seeing results.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I do 2 full-body workouts on the weights each week. The rest of the time I do whatever sounds like fun that day. Sometimes classes like cardio-kickboxing or spin, sometimes something more low-key like pilates or yoga, sometimes swimming, running or cycling, sometimes treadmill or elliptical. When I'm doing cardio, I do sometimes do straight cardio for a longer-time for endurance or, if I have less time or just feel like it, I'll do a shorter HIIT-style workout. I like to mix it up. Keeps it more fun for me.
  • bciochetti
    Options
    You could look at the training plans on bodybuilding.com for lots of ideas. Don't get thrown off by the name, they aren't just for body builders and they are a good way to save some time as all you have to do is write down the workouts they've already planned.
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions and resources!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    www.startingstrength.com
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on a new weight lifting routine? I've been stuck on same routine for a long time and i know i need to mix it up.
    Goal is to trim down more but keep/refine muscle...

Current workout is 6x per week...

Day 1 Back/BI (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of elliptical, abs
    Day 2 Chest/TRI (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of treadmill intervals
    Day 3 Shoulder/Legs (3 different exercises each, 3 sets and 12-15 reps) 30 minutes of elliptical, abs
    REST DAY
    Repeat above for days 4/5/6

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
    I just wanna suggest switching back and triceps together and chest and biceps. If you do close grip presses for triceps you're also working chest, and when yoou do back exercises, you're also working biceps. Also your biceps or triceps won't be exhausted from doing benches, deadlifts or whatever your main exercise is.