Adding flavor to food without Sodium

Options
K I am realizing how much sodium is in everything and I am not just talking prepared meals I am talking seasoning and other items. What are some things you use to add flavor without adding sodium?
Thanks

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pretty much most spices. I'm a huge fan of using cajun seasoning on steak rather than drowning it in sea salt.

Maybe give us some foods you're eating and we can make some direct suggestions?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I use a ton of spices and fresh herbs in my cooking-- and I mean a ton of them. I sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on oatmeal, use citrus zest on it sometimes, too. I cook with spices and fresh herbs in all of my savory dishes, and tend to add little or no salt to my meals.
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Fresh herbs and spices do it for me. Love me some fresh basil! lol Also, I know this makes me feel better about salt, go for the Himalayan salt, it is so much better for you.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use garlic like I'm trying to ward of vampires. There are few things I cook that I don't add garlic to. Marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil, and oregano are awesome, too. I also use diced onions and bell peppers to add flavor. Also, though, Mrs. Dash makes some reduced sodium seasonings for people on restricted diets, and some of those are really good.
  • lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Table blend and garlic powder- I put that on EVERYTHING!
  • Babyrunner1225
    Options
    I like fajitas, chili those are the two at least this week that seemed to be a problem and I did not use the whole seasoning packet for the fajitas barely half for the whole pan. Even cheeses it seems like everything has salt in it. I am cooking more from scratch to avoid the prepackaged stuff but even biscuits and pizza crust. and those things.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Salt substitute isn't a bad option. I've been using it for a month or so now. It's not as potent/flavorful as real salt, but it's a decent substitute.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Spices, fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice. Prepackaged mixed seasonings are usually full of sodium, unless they're labeled reduced sodium, so I tend to avoid them and make my own mixes.
  • Babyrunner1225
    Options
    Mrs. Dash Table blend and garlic powder- I put that on EVERYTHING!

Bought some and love the flavor thanks
  • SRS1226
    Options
    I like to use Mrs. Dash as well--and I also enjoy using sun-dried tomatoes as a flavorful option.