A stupid question...

Options
But if I was to eat a bag of sweets (pretty much pure sugar, nothing nutritional) in place of a meal (so 500 calories of sweets instead of 500 calories soup and bread etc), still keeping within my calorie limits to lose weight (my BMR) - would that still be acceptable? Or would the sugar get stored as fat if I didn't exercise it off even though it's within my BMR calories?

Replies

• Opheliac_Xx
    Opheliac_Xx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It takes days of overeating before the body starts fat storage and no, eating sugar as you describe, is not going to be stored as fat.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It takes days of overeating before the body starts fat storage and no, eating sugar as you describe, is not going to be stored as fat.

that said, you'll probably feel like crap
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    But if I was to eat a bag of sweets (pretty much pure sugar, nothing nutritional) in place of a meal (so 500 calories of sweets instead of 500 calories soup and bread etc), still keeping within my calorie limits to lose weight (my BMR) - would that still be acceptable? Or would the sugar get stored as fat if I didn't exercise it off even though it's within my BMR calories?

All depends on how often you intend to do that. If it was an absolutely one-off, or was done very rarely, then I would say you are being mindful and trying to stick to your allowance. However, if it is a regular occurrence, I would think very seriously if I were you about the effect it would have on your overall health, on your teeth and on what it will do to your sugar levels.

All depends on how serious you are about losing weight, keeping it off and being healthy whilst do so as well as after.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    No, it's a bad idea for lots of other reasons.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you are in a calorie deficit, then no, it wont be stored as fat.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It's acceptable. A calorie is a calorie regardless of the source. That said, you'll probably feel like crap due to lack of nutrition and the sugar rush will likely make you want to eat more about an hour later.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Not really, obviously if you stayed under your calorie goal you'd still lose weight but you'd be working against yourself by eating food that has no nutrients. Pure sugar is one of the worst ways to get your energy because you'll crash and burn. I like protein the best because it satiates your hunger the longest or so it seems anyway.

Beyond that you can't get a good volume of food in the form of sweets for 500 calories. You may end up feeling deprived and want to go for more later.
  • Elundari
    Options
    You would feel hungry really quickly - you will be much more successful using your calories on food that will leave you satisfied - why not split the bad into four and have a sweet treat everyday as part of a meal?
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    You will not gain weight from the sugar intake, but the effect on your brain chemistry will be significant. The insulin will spike, your brain will tell you to eat to burn off the insulin, and also it will tell you to eat until it gets the nutrients your body needs. The more junk you eat the more malnourished you will become and your brain will try to fix it with strong cravings.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This,

but keep in mind that if you are replacing nutritious food with this candy, then most likely you will not be able to hit your macros or consume enough of certain micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals). It is difficult to get the right amount of nutrients when in a large caloric deficit, or a diet of around 1200 cals or less.

So it is fine for weight loss and one day shouldn't hinder your health but do this often and you may meet your weight loss goal but be malnourished in the process.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This,

but keep in mind that if you are replacing nutritious food with this candy, then most likely you will not be able to hit your macros or consume enough of certain micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals). It is difficult to get the right amount of nutrients when in a large caloric deficit, or a diet of around 1200 cals or less So it is fine for weight loss and one day shouldn't hinder your health but do this often and you may meet your weight loss goal but be malnourished in the process.

^ All of this, plus you may start to lose your hair and your skin will thin if you do it often since you aren't getting quality nutrients.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

This,

but keep in mind that if you are replacing nutritious food with this candy, then most likely you will not be able to hit your macros or consume enough of certain micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals). It is difficult to get the right amount of nutrients when in a large caloric deficit, or a diet of around 1200 cals or less So it is fine for weight loss and one day shouldn't hinder your health but do this often and you may meet your weight loss goal but be malnourished in the process.

^ All of this, plus you may start to lose your hair and your skin will thin if you do it often since you aren't getting quality nutrients.

Plus if you only eat sugar, you'll diet a horrible death. j/k
  • kbcarey111
    kbcarey111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as calories in versus calories used. Your body functions best with "active" calories, foods that take more work to eat and digest boost metabolism and make you feel more satisfied (i.e., fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats). Eating 500 calories of the sweet stuff on occasion will not sabotage your weight loss efforts, but doing so on a regular basis could seriously affect your metabolism and overall health.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not a stupid question. Hopefully you don't have an endocrine disorder like diabetes, metabolic syndrome, or a hormonal disorder like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). A syndrome like PCOS you can eat within your calorie range or under but it includes simple sugars and carbs you would have a very difficult time and not lose a pound because of the insulin resistance. I have PCOS sugar wreaks havoc with trying to lose weight. Hopefully you don't have any of these issues. Also watch your sugar intake because it makes the pancreas work harder, when the pancreas wears out you have type 2 diabetes to worry about.