Breakfast foods without sugar

Options
sizzle92
sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
This is a question about my 7 year old son. He is being worked up for ADD. He has a hard time focusing at school and is very easily distracted. I feel when I feed him eggs and fresh fruit for breakfast he has better days. I gave him pancakes with VERY little syrup, bacon, and fresh fruit yesterday and he had a bad day. I don't know of it is the sugar, (HFCS) but I am looking for breakfast ideas full of protein and little to no sugar for him. I can't feed him eggs everyday (obviously). Any ideas would be great. :)

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    High quality foods! Eggs are okay for children. Steel cut oats prepared with milk would be good. High fiber content, decent protein, and truly satisfying with a few raisins or some brown sugar (less than a tablespoon!) and cinnamon. An english muffin with cold cuts and/or cheese is good too.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oatmeal with fruit (blueberries or apples) and cinammon, boneless/skinless chicken breast, turkey breast.

Why can't you feed him eggs for breakfast every day? Many people do, including myself. Just served them differently once in a while...scrambled, hard-boiled, poached, etc.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    My husband said I shouldn't. (likely cholesterol thing) I'll ask his physician. He loves poached eggs with a piece of bread. He does like oatmeal, I will check the sugars in the type he likes and try my husband's old fashioned ones and see if he likes them. Thank you guys so much!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My kids prefer a 'non-breakfast' every morning. They eat grilled chicken or cold cuts. The like whole grain english muffins with eggs, cheese and ham. The also eat whole grain rice cakes with laughing cow cheese, avocado and some cold cuts. Something I do for my husband is to give him a corn tortilla with scrambled eggs, salsa, shredded cheese and sometimes bacon or turkey sausage. And steel cut oats are a good alternative. I add walnuts, cinnamon and fruit to mine without the sugar.

As for the egg thing, the fat in the yolks is supposed to be good for a childs brain development and I read recently that eggs aren't a huge contributor to increased LDL levels. My kids however, prefer the whites.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    Good to know about the eggs! :)
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    For what it's worth I have been eating eggs for breakfast every single day since I was a child. I'm 42 now and I have never even once had high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol, low good cholesterol, or any problems of any kind. I thinks eggs are a super food and I don't know why the idea persists that they cause any problems. If he loves eggs and they help him have a better day, I'd go for it. Some of that info is outdated from the 80s when they thought fat makes you fat, foods with cholesterol raise your cholesterol, etc. Lots of research negating all that is out there now.
    Also, some fruits are lower in sugar than others. Berries are the best, bananas and pears generally the worst.
    Finally, 100% natural maple syrup has no HFCS. If you are looking for a cheaper option, Log Cabin has no HFCS either.
    Good luck!
    Donna
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    You know just because it's the morning doesn't mean it HAS to be breakfast type food. Anything that he may enjoy at lunch or dinner that isn't sugar rich may be a good idea. I usually eat fruit for breakfast but if I have leftovers from last night I'll eat them as breakfast.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    not sure how "healthy" it is in terms of carbs, but cheerios (1 g sugar) or frozen waffles w/ sugar-free pancakes do it for me...and i have the taste buds of a little kid.
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One of my favs for breakfast is oatmeal with mashed up banana (I use half a banana) sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and it tastes like banana bread. =) No sugar needed.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My son-3 rd grade has the same problems as yours. Check out the Feingold diet.com. It's not so much the sugar as it is the preservatives and colors in the foods. I have noticed with my son that when I try to feed him stuff with less preservatives and art. colors he is able to stay focused for longer. Staying away from sugar is good too. The more " real" things he has in his diet the better. I wouldn't worry so much about the eggs. Eggs are fine.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    My son-3 rd grade has the same problems as yours. Check out the Feingold diet.com. It's not so much the sugar as it is the preservatives and colors in the foods. I have noticed with my son that when I try to feed him stuff with less preservatives and art. colors he is able to stay focused for longer. Staying away from sugar is good too. The more " real" things he has in his diet the better. I wouldn't worry so much about the eggs. Eggs are fine.

Thank you!
  • tmbwaite
    Options
    Has he been tested for food allergies? Too many kids these days are being diagnosed with "ADD" or "ADHD" just because their doctor can't attribute their behavior to anything else. And sometimes....it's as simple as adding a daily multivitamin in their diet. Anyway...just an idea! :) Good luck!
  • sizzle92
    Options
    He hasn't been tested for food allergies. He also hasn't been diagnosed with ADD but will be tested soon. IF he is diagnosed as ADD, medication will be a LAST option. I am not pro meds. Not anti either, but I'm not a fan of giving meds until everything else has been tried. He is on a multi and C. I need to get him back on fish oil!

He had a great day today! I am definately going to watch his diet and behavior trends!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I hope he does fine with diet changes! My son was on meds. last year and I hated what they did to him, so this year we are doing our best to keep him off. Very important what kind of teacher he has at school. If the teacher is willing to work with him things will be different. Good luck!
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sugar-free syrup (for the pancakes, if you do that again)? It's actually quite good.