Diabetic help

Options
OK, I am confused..well not so much, but more like torn. I am diabetic and very carb sensitive. I understand to get all of my carbs from natural fruits and veggies so thats what I have been doing.

I was reading about the "biggest Loser" diet plan and they say to have 2 servings of whole grain a day. Now I know whole grain is very good for you but the carb count still bothers me. They say they have had plenty of diabetics on this diet and it has worked very well for them.

Are there any diabetics out there that can give me advice?

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Be careful about "they say" statements. They'll say anything. I'd talk with your doctor or, better yet, a nutritionist.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    there is a great book, The Wheat Belly Diet. Whole grains are not all they are cracked up to be. I have PCOS so am in a similar situation with being carb sensitive. I have gone gluten free and it has helped a lot!
  • jobie4153
    Options
    Hi..I just found out I have type II diabetes this fall. I am seeing a dietician and she has recommended 45-60 carbs per meal (three meals a day!) and 15-20 carbs per snack (up to 3 snacks a day)...no more that 200g of carbs a day. She recommends whole grains, so I have oatmeal about four times a week and whole grain cold cereals most other days. I also have whole grain bread/lavash/pita for sandwiches often for lunch. I eat saltines/rice cakes with peanut butter, Chobani yogurt, popcorn or fresh fruit for snacks. I do not get all of my carbs from fruits and vegetables..and I always eat my fruits as opposed to drinking juices. I do eat pasta and rice on occasion and baked potato. skin and all, about twice a week. All I am watching right now are carbs and serving sizes. I have lost about 28 pounds since October, but only found MyFitnessPal in January. I like using it to track everything. Best of luck and I hope this helped some.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone, they have helped me so much! (((huggs)))
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was also diabetic, and what jobie stated is very true. If you're not working with a RD I strongly recommend you do so. In fact make an appointment and print out your food log and take it with you. As of November I am no longer considered diabetic, but I still e-mail my RD and she helps me tweak my eating plan so I can make my goal of losing 100 pounds. I also have bookmarked a website of low GI foods and eat primarily from that list, but when I do eat grains, they are whole grain. My hubby is eating what I eat and has lost 22 pounds total, and now he's here logging too!

I wish you well on your journey :smile:
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type I diabetic, but I hesitate to give you any advice beyond checking with your diabetes doctor. Everyone is different, everyone's insulin sensitivity is different, and everyone's diet and exercise plan should be tailored individually. Good luck!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I would never follow anything suggested by the "Biggest Loser" or anyone who is a part of that show. I believe the show fosters a very unhealthy approach to diet and exercise. But that's just me.

As others have mentioned, your best bet is to talk to your doctor.

That said, if you're doing well on a low carb diet, I see no reason to change. Why add in the grains if you're feeling good on what you're eating?

BUT whole grains are certainly a healthy choice for those who choose to eat them, and if you decide you want to eat them, then I suggest adding them in a little at a time and monitoring your blood sugar carefully to see how you do. You should be monitoring your blood sugar carefully anyway.

Best of luck to you!
  • tcalhoun72
    tcalhoun72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am T2 and am grain and sugar free.

Go to www.diabetes-warrior.net for some great information.