any regular swimmers on here?

Options
I have some neurology function problems with having FDNS and I also Fibromyalgia as a secondary illness so I swim for exercise.
I just wondered if anyone else swims for exercise.

Replies

• tammyclair
    Options
    I swim. I was swimming 5 hours a week. Then I hit a plateau. The trainer said the law of diminishing returns. This sucks because I am not crazy about the treadmill. So February is bust the plateau month. My doctor is helping me. Phase one: my thyroid meds were upped to 88 mg. no swimming the first week. This week I swam twice (2 miles) and did the treadmill the rest of the week - boring. Next week I get to swim three hours. Then four. Then I am back to 5 hours a week. I can't wait. Hopefully it works. It takes me about an hour to swim a mile. I like the free stroke / front crawl best. But I switch it up as much as possible. How about you? Have you experienced the law of diminishing returns? I feel glorious after a swim.
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I swim once per week, about 50-60 lengths (25 meter pool). I am hoping to do a try-a-tri in May, so this is helping me train.

I also do Deep Water Workout once a week.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's a necessary evil when training for a triathlon. I love swimming (most of the time), but I love the variety of doing something different every day. It's helped a lot with my weight loss because I'm constantly changing my activities.
  • MissesJai
    Options
    I swim as well. I used to do it daily but found that switching things up yielded better results. So now, I swim anywhere from 1/2 to 1 mile once a week. I love it. It brings me peace and calm.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I used to swim on a Master's team 3 or 4 mornings a week for an hour and a half. Kids and an ear thing have made me into a runner, but I MISS swimming sooo much!
    It's wonderful exercise.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    sorry i havent been online much for a few days but thanks for all the replys
    i swim at least 3 miles a week and its so therapeutic yet has all the benefits too i dont think you can beat it really
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    oops that should say 2 miles not 3
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have some neurology function problems with having FDNS and I also Fibromyalgia as a secondary illness so I swim for exercise.
    I just wondered if anyone else swims for exercise.

I swam all the time as a kid and in high school. Docs tell me that's one of the things that led to my shoulder problems. Swimmers tend to have rotator muscle issues. After a couple surgeries, (and a lot of years), I'm not able to swim any significant distance. But I will do water jogging at times. Instead of swimming laps, I run laps in the pool. It's a good workout. I can't do normal jogging as the pounding does my back in. But water jogging is no issue.
  • ff1diver
    ff1diver Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I swim 2000m to 4000m everyday. On my light swim days I row 5000m as well. This so far has been working for me.