Thai Food

Options
I am having Thai food for my husbands birthday tonight.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a low cal / Fat dish. This is a family style place, not fast food or grocery bought.

Help me!!!!!! Cause from what I've seen I should most likley stick with water LOL:drinker:

Replies

• Chrissi073
    Chrissi073 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am having Thai food for my husbands birthday tonight.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a low cal / Fat dish. This is a family style place, not fast food or grocery bought.

Help me!!!!!! Cause from what I've seen I should most likley stick with water LOL:drinker:
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't have suggestions, but our thai place we could order half the menu and be fairly safe.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Keep your portions small. Have a soup and a mango salad to start, that will help you eat less of the entree. I use this link, but I double all the calorie counts, because those have got to be super small portion sizes. It's a ballpark, but better than nothing.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/eating_out/thai_food.htm
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE Thai food. At the place near my house they have a Thai BBQ chicken (skinless) and different dipping sauces (spicy, sweet/sour, etc.) - I tend to eat that with veggies and avoid rice/noodles. I love Thai ice tea, although I can't imagine it is good for you. I think I love anything ethnic, lol.

Make sure you save room for dessert - sticky rice with Mango is soooo good!

Last night we went to a Persian restaurant, and Persian's are FAMOUS for heaping mounds and mounds of delish jasmine rice on each individual's plate, along with the entree' (kabob, etc.) I made sure I only ate a fraction of the rice, some chicken, and lots of tomato/cucumber/onion salad. Key to everything is moderation. I brought home enough food for 3 meals! You can ask for a box upfront, put half in right away, and then dive in and ENJOY!
  • Chrissi073
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
  • violetvy
    violetvy Posts: 33
    Options
    Tom yum soup is pretty safe. I've eaten a dish called Crying Tiger which is medallions of beef on salad.

Stay away from curries and noodle dishes!
  • Chrissi073
    Options
    Curry dishes are crazy huh, the beef on salad sounds yummy, thanks
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Tom Yum Goong soup is my fav at Thai!! Omg, it is delicous...spicy, tangy and full of flavor.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I love Thai ice tea, although I can't imagine it is good for you. I think I love anything ethnic, lol.

It's made with Sweetened condensed (sp) milk..no, not good for your, but ohhhhh so good. Viet. coffee is made the same way...again soooo good.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    I love Thai ice tea, although I can't imagine it is good for you. I think I love anything ethnic, lol.

It's made with Sweetened condensed (sp) milk..no, not good for your, but ohhhhh so good. Viet. coffee is made the same way...again soooo good.

You can buy the tea itself. Your local spice market or perhaps an Asian market will have the Thai tea for sale. It is black tea already correctly mixed. You can brew it up yourself and drink it hot or cold. Of course, this way you can omit the sugar and sweetened condensed milk. The spice market near me sells 1/2 lbs for $12. That is a lot of tea!