Wedding Dress & Losing Weight

Options
xjackie83
xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
My wedding is at the end of June and I cannot wait. One thing that has me incredibly worried about this whole losing weight thing is wedding dress shopping. I know that the size and weight I am now probably won't be the size and weight I am 4.5 months from now.

But everyone I've talked to (friends and bridal shop workers) think I'm nuts for not having my dress now or not having it ordered. They're warning that some dresses can take weeks to get in and then with all the alternations it can take even more time.

I'm hoping that some other brides out there will have some advice for me. Do I order my dress now and get it altered? Or do I wait??

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I recently ordered my dress. I'm not getting married until June 2013 and was worried I was doing things way too early, but the manager of the bridal shop assured me that it would be fine, and showed me some example dresses. Losing a dress size causes a MINIMAL adjustment to need to be made to the dress. Really, the change is tiny. I expected losing weight to have a big impact, but she showed me how much material would have to be removed if I reached my goal weight before my wedding and lost another 48lbs, and it was such a small amount when taken equally from both sides of the dress.
    The tailors can do a great job bringing the dress in without it looking ANY different. Taking it out if you buy one too small is a whole different matter, so I bought a dress a bit bigger than I imagine I'll need.

I had to order my dress now for it to be in the shop by the end of 2012, to start fittings in early 2013. Long process.
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    I think buy it and have it altered

I bought my dress 7 months before and the woman in the shop was shocked i'd left it so late too.

Apparently most people buy their dress a year or so in advance, my dress took 6 months to get before alterations..

With yours only 4 months away i think you definitely should xx
  • sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress months ago, I get married on 25th May this year. I know I will just have to have my dress altered.

Even if you bought your dress 2 months beofre it will probably still need altering.

I would get shopping :) xxxx
  • bee1248
    Options
    I'm getting married in July of 2013 and haven't even gone shopping yet but here is something to consider if you do want to wait...

You can go shopping and pick out a dress, then search on eBay for the exact same model in your size. it might be used or need cleaning and pressing, but it will get to you in a matter of weeks instead of months. This way you can wait a little longer if you feel you want to.

Any dress you buy, regardless of the size will probably have to be altered to fit you perfectly anyway.

You should definitely get shopping though if you want to buy it from a salon, or you'll have to pay extra for rush.

Good luck shopping!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My wedding is the May 18, 2012. I have bought my dress at the end of November 2011, and I plan to be back in my pregnancy clothes by the time I get married so I will need mine altered I'm sure. I would buy your dress and have it altered accordingly when that time comes. Hope this helps you! :)
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I actually went out and bought my wedding dress last night! I feel great about it!
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase!! :) That was quick! It took me months to find my gown, I am also getting married in June, the 23rd :) Happy wedding planning! :)