How many calories can eat?

Options
According to this site I should only eat about 1230 calories and when I look around to what the average 36 yr old woman should eat it tells me 2230 for daily intake. Is the count that I get here because it calculates the number according to the pounds I want to loose during the week?

Replies

• eeyoreblair
    Options
    Yes thats right so the 1000 calorie deficit should result in a 2lb weight loss weekly, is that what you wanted?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    According to this site I should only eat about 1230 calories and when I look around to what the average 36 yr old woman should eat it tells me 2230 for daily intake. Is the count that I get here because it calculates the number according to the pounds I want to loose during the week?

Yes, if you chose to lose 2 lbs/week this site will give you 1000 less calories then what you need to maintain your weight. So if your maintenance is 2230 you need to eat 1230 to lose 2lbs/week (7000 cal deficit/week, 3500 cals = 1 lb)

That being said I see you only have 35lbs to lose, I would suggest changing your goal to 1lb/week, as a 2lb/week is only recommended when you have a lot of weight to lose, which is why at the goals section MFP recommends 1lb/week. If you changed your goal to 1lb/week you would get to eat 1730/day, or even if you set it at 1.5lbs/week you would get 1480.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't know the correct answer to that, but for me.... MFP set me at 1200 calories and I simply didn't feel like that was enough to keep my fulfilled. I set mine at 1500 and that was much better!! I was at 1500 for over a year and I have now raised mine to my maintenance level of 1740 calories. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The number it's giving you takes into consideration the activity level you put in, your current weight and your goals.
  • ashleykrauch
    Options
    That is my understanding. The calories for your age and weight (the higher number) are the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. In order to lose, you have to reduce that number. As you get closer to your goal weight, the daily caloric number will increase a bit. Hope that helps!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes, it bases your cal goal on how active you are and what you want your rate of loss to be. I caution you to not just go with what MFP tells you. Look under the Tools Tab and calculate your BMR. It is best for long term, continuous loss to not eat below that number. Setting your goals above your BMR may calculate a loss rate of only 0.5lb/week or less but chances are you will loose more than that and it will be a sustainable loss rate.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had mine set to lose 1/week at 10-15 to lose, and it had me at 1200. I've since started ignoring what it wants and put in my own goals. Upped my calories to 1500 and I lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks.

The fat didn't get put on overnight; it won't get taken off overnight.
  • eeyoreblair
    Options
    Look under the Tools Tab and calculate your BMR. It is best for long term, continuous loss to not eat below that number. Setting your goals above your BMR may calculate a loss rate of only 0.5lb/week or less but chances are you will loose more than that and it will be a sustainable loss rate.

Would you be able to explain what the BMR is/means and do you use the calculated rate for weihtloss or that then take off a deficit?
  • Willethel
    Options
    Iam back just frusted and sore. I am back to start again I have nit stopped exercising or watching what i eat I just have not lost, not 1 pound. Ok ! am back.
  • eeyoreblair
    Options
    Thanks, im relatively new to this, i have calculated mine but wasnt sure how to use the result?
  • Lisa_More
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will change my weekly lost to 1lb and check out my bmi. I really want to loose the weight and change my life style!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the base number of calories you need to live if you were in a coma - no activity. Basically it's what your body needs to pump blood, breath air, etc. That's why it's best not to go below that number bc it can mess things up. I don't freak out if I'm low every now and then, especially if I was really active that day but it's best to keep it above your BMR on a regular basis.

When you set up your goals, MFP will ask you how active you are. That determines your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you go under Goals-Change Goals-Custom, you will see it in the upper right corner. The best thing to do is eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE.

MFP is not the God's truth when it comes to these numbers. MFP says my BMR is 1420 but I did some research (I cannot afford to have it measured in a lab) and I really think my BMR is more like 1540. Try some different online links and use an average. I also reccently got a FitBit and realized I am much more active than my MFP TDEE says I am.

Bottom line is I've increased my calorie goal from 1400-1600 and it seems to be working. It's only been 1.5 weeks so I can't really tell yet.

The best thing to do is set your goal between your BMR and TDEE and then play with it. If you stall in your weight loss or are really tired, increase your calories. I think you should try every test run for at least a month before deciding it's not working. It takes time for our bodies to react. I know it seems wierd at first but you really need to eat to loose. Really low cal diets do not work in the long run for most people.

Good Luck!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    All it takes is a little research :)

Here's something that explains how TDEE is calculated.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Edited to add: there are other equations out there. This is just one of them.
  • Lisa_More
    Options
    Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is the base number of calories you need to live if you were in a coma - no activity. Basically it's what your body needs to pump blood, breath air, etc. That's why it's best not to go below that number bc it can mess things up. I don't freak out if I'm low every now and then, especially if I was really active that day but it's best to keep it above your BMR on a regular basis.

When you set up your goals, MFP will ask you how active you are. That determines your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). If you go under Goals-Change Goals-Custom, you will see it in the upper right corner. The best thing to do is eat somewhere between your BMR and TDEE.

MFP is not the God's truth when it comes to these numbers. MFP says my BMR is 1420 but I did some research (I cannot afford to have it measured in a lab) and I really think my BMR is more like 1540. Try some different online links and use an average. I also reccently got a FitBit and realized I am much more active than my MFP TDEE says I am.

Thank you this is very helpful!! and according to my bmr I should be at 1575 instead of 1220. I will go with 1500 for a month and see what happens. Thank you!

Bottom line is I've increased my calorie goal from 1400-1600 and it seems to be working. It's only been 1.5 weeks so I can't really tell yet.

The best thing to do is set your goal between your BMR and TDEE and then play with it. If you stall in your weight loss or are really tired, increase your calories. I think you should try every test run for at least a month before deciding it's not working. It takes time for our bodies to react. I know it seems wierd at first but you really need to eat to loose. Really low cal diets do not work in the long run for most people.

Good Luck!
  • Lisa_More
    Options
    Thanks for the mbr info!! I looked mine up and it says 1575 instead of 1220 as recommended here..I think I will do 1500 for a month and go from there. Thank you so much for this helpful information!!
  • eeyoreblair
    Options
    Thanks from me aswell for that info. MFP had me on 1390 but says my BMR is 1727 so maybe why i am so so very tired? Especially as my youngest son is a very poor sleeper so my days regularly start at 2am! Thanks again
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you chose to lose 2 lbs/week this site will give you 1000 less calories then what you need to maintain your weight. So if your maintenance is 2230 you need to eat 1230 to lose 2lbs/week (7000 cal deficit/week, 3500 cals = 1 lb)

That being said I see you only have 35lbs to lose, I would suggest changing your goal to 1lb/week, as a 2lb/week is only recommended when you have a lot of weight to lose, which is why at the goals section MFP recommends 1lb/week. If you changed your goal to 1lb/week you would get to eat 1730/day, or even if you set it at 1.5lbs/week you would get 1480.
    That is my understanding. The calories for your age and weight (the higher number) are the number of calories you need to maintain your current weight. In order to lose, you have to reduce that number. As you get closer to your goal weight, the daily caloric number will increase a bit. Hope that helps!
    Yes, it bases your cal goal on how active you are and what you want your rate of loss to be. I caution you to not just go with what MFP tells you. Look under the Tools Tab and calculate your BMR. It is best for long term, continuous loss to not eat below that number. Setting your goals above your BMR may calculate a loss rate of only 0.5lb/week or less but chances are you will loose more than that and it will be a sustainable loss rate.

Good Luck!

*Thanks for sharing! Bump this to save for later!
    Elephantbutt.gif

I am still trying to grasp this~~~

Since starting my MFP journey I have only been consuming 1200 calories give or take alittle. My progress thus far is I have lost a total of 4 lbs. that is two lbs. per week. I have lost a total of 8.5" inches overall.
    Not sure which capability level I should select before I started MFP I was very sedentary with little or no exercise due to my disability. I am now trying to set a regular schedule of exercise of 30 minutes a day for 5-6 days.

My MFP profile states my DAILY NUTRITIONAL FOOD GOALS:
    MFP states

NET CALORIES CONSUMED -1200 daily calories -
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2070 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1200 calories/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 870 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.7 lbs/week

I was told that my BMR is BMR Is 1660
    My TDEE 2375

Could someone tell me what is my correct TDEE and BMR.
    How many calories should I be burning per day?
    How many calories to eat on a workout day?
    How many calories to eat on a rest day?

Should I stay at the current 1200 calories per day. Then change it once I am closer to my weight loss goal/target?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with a MFP newbie.