How to lose fat and tone

Options
Hey there,

I recently started working out.And i plan on losing weight but more importantly gain muscle and for once i want to have a toned body and be proud to wear a bikini lol Can someone give me their tips on what i need to do at the gym?I look so lost and end up just walking on the treadmill for an hour 4mph and 8 incline...Thanks!

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Not going to get a toned body by only hitting the tread mill. You need to add resistance/weight training to your routine. I've heard many women recommend http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583332944 this book.

In short, you lose fat from a calorie deficit. You need to do resistance training in order to spare any muscle tissue you have while dieting. This will force your body to burn as much fat as possible and spare as muscle muscle mass as possible. Also, eating a high protein diet is beneficial for all of these goals. (Aim for ~100g per day of protein)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    lift.
  • tyra47
    tyra47 Posts: 97
    Options
    bump
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to gain muscle, you need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy. The treadmill isn't going to cut it. If anything, it can make you flabby if excessive.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    essentially cardio only with a caloric deficit will just give you a slimmer version of the current you. You need to add weights, the heavier the better to change the composition of your body dramatically.
  • merlyn23
    Options
    Thanks guys,i just started lifting yesterday,im going to kick it up a notch and try lifting 5lbs heavier than what i started with.Thanks for all the feedback :)
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ditto on New Rules. I just started it this week. Interesting so far, and DEFINITELY an informative read.

What are you lifting now? I'd be tempted to say "go heavier."
  • merlyn23
    Options
    Ok dont laugh but right now im lifting 10 but starting tonight im going to try and lift 15 and work my way up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok dont laugh but right now im lifting 10 but starting tonight im going to try and lift 15 and work my way up.

I would suggest for aiming to be able to do 8-10 reps each set with the last couple of reps in each set difficult to complete with good form.
  • mirgss
    Options
    Ditto that. If you find it's too easy, ratchet up your next set. If you find it's too difficult, e.g. you reach failure, ratchet it back down. What sort of exercises are you doing?
  • merlyn23
    Options
    Right now im walking on the treadmill at 4.0 mph and 8 incline and just started including weights.I honestly have no idea what kind of exercises i need to be doing to build muscle so i just try and watch people at the gym and do what they was doing.My main goal is to be healthy not flabby.
  • merlyn23
    Options
    Thanks Eric!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Try circuit training too, where you combine strength and intense cardio, very effective for losing fat.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mirgss
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, there are 4 essential types of exercises you need to do:
    Push
    Pull
    Squat
    Hip hinge

Forget biceps curls and triceps kickbacks. Isolation movements such as those will result in a muscle imbalance. I cannot recommend New Rules strongly enough...you will learn a LOT.

Push could be a barbell press.

Pull could be rows.

Hip hinge = deadlift.

Try searching for some of Steve Troutman's posts on here...stroutman81. He gives great advice for those just beginning. I asked him a ton of questions too :)
  • merlyn23
    Options
    What is bump?
  • merlyn23
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle, there are 4 essential types of exercises you need to do:
    Push
    Pull
    Squat
    Hip hinge

Forget biceps curls and triceps kickbacks. Isolation movements such as those will result in a muscle imbalance. I cannot recommend New Rules strongly enough...you will learn a LOT.

Push could be a barbell press.

Pull could be rows.

Hip hinge = deadlift.

Try searching for some of Steve Troutman's posts on here...stroutman81. He gives great advice for those just beginning. I asked him a ton of questions too :)

Thank you so much!
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • melrose09
    Options
    Try circuit training too, where you combine strength and intense cardio, very effective for losing fat.
    [/quote

^This! Plus it's more fun than just one or the other.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What is bump?

you can look up compound movements on the internet they will give you a list of them. type in compound movements for barbell and dumbell.