Biggest Loser contestants

Options
I have noticed there are a few people that are against the show and the methods used there to lose weight. I was looking a picture of the contestants vs people who have had surgery. And the Biggest loser contestants' bodies look firmer and healthier. Now i dont know, i could be missing something. What is so unhealthy with the methods used in the show?

Replies

• MatrixDyke
    MatrixDyke Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I havent watched the show in a while but my thoughts would be that it is just an extreme way to lose weight and "extreme" sometimes makes people disagree.

I think the results on that show are amazing, I just hate the way it's edited together (they could totally make it an hour long show, not a 2 hour show) so I stopped watching.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    They loose the weight too quickly that the majority of them are unsuccessful in keeping it off and gain it back after the show.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I havent watched the show in a while but my thoughts would be that it is just an extreme way to lose weight and "extreme" sometimes makes people disagree.

I think the results on that show are amazing, I just hate the way it's edited together (they could totally make it an hour long show, not a 2 hour show) so I stopped watching.
    oh yes, the editing is annoying.
  • onmyway31
    Options
    I enjoy the show, but to me it is not realistic. They are pushed so hard to have a weekly big number weight loss. Normal working people can't be in the gym for 8 hours a day. I think it gives viewers at home a false sense of what they should be doing. I've been losing weight and I haven't been killing myself like the people on the show. I can imagine it is a very hard show to be on. I enjoy watching as they lose weight, but at the same time they are all stressed out because they do not want to get voted off, I don't think that stress is healthy.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    They loose the weight too quickly that the majority of them are unsuccessful in keeping it off and gain it back after the show.
    Is it quicker than people who have done surgery? I cant comment on the keeping off part, yes i know a few. Maybe 3who gained back some. But is that how it is with most diets. People who have done surgery do gain back some too.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried watching the show, but I just couldn't do it. It makes it look like it's easy. Too easy. I realize that the state I'm in is my own fault, don't get me wrong. But they make it seem like if you would just eat right and exercise for about 15 min a day then you will lose all of your weight. I just hate the way they portray the people and how diets work. That and for some reason I can't define I really CAN'T STAND Jillian Michaels. She annoys me to say the least.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do not think they make anything look easy. They definitely do not make me feel like working out 15 minutes will get results. They work out for hours and hours a day and they say that. I dont think they are any more likely to gain back their weight than people who have weight loss surgery. In fact, almost all of their contestants have kept their weight off successfully since they have been on the show.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I enjoy the show, but to me it is not realistic. They are pushed so hard to have a weekly big number weight loss. Normal working people can't be in the gym for 8 hours a day. I think it gives viewers at home a false sense of what they should be doing. I've been losing weight and I haven't been killing myself like the people on the show. I can imagine it is a very hard show to be on. I enjoy watching as they lose weight, but at the same time they are all stressed out because they do not want to get voted off, I don't think that stress is healthy.
    Sure a person working a 8 to 5 cant compare themselves with people on the ranch, who s only job is to loose weight. I understand what you saying. But i still dont see why the way they do it has to be called unhealthy, NOT realistic. Yes its not realistic. Most people have jobs, husbands, wives, kids to take care of. And definately dont have 8hours to exercise.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it's unrealistic in the sense that most people cannot quit their jobs in order to loss weight, but as far as what they are doing? Hey, I'm all for it. I think the transformations are amazing. Not just physically, but mentally for most.

I hope for all of them that they can keep the weight off, but if they can't, I don't believe that's because they lost it too fast in the first place. They put it on for the same reason(s) that so many of us have or will after losing any amount of weight (whatever those are).
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I love the show, and it gives me a lot of inspiration. That being said, I understand that these people are doing absolutely nothing but exercising and learning about nutrition. They have world class doctors and fitness coaches at their beck and call 24 hours a day while on the show. Of course, nobody else (besides the super rich) have access to that.

This is my same thought when people compare themselves to supermodels. Their JOB is to have a great body, so of course they're going to spend all their time working out and watching what they eat. It's how they make their money.

I don't think what they are doing is unhealthy, though. Like I said before, they are under doctor supervision at all times. They also have meticulously planned out eating programs. I mean, look at the two sisters who were the finalists the season before last, Hannah and Olivia. They are in amazing shape, and they are living healthy lifestyles. Unrealistic for the average person, yes, unhealthy, I don't think so.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    To me, there's nothing innately wrong with what they do. They're taught about healthy eating and the effort of exercise, and they lose weight safely (albeit quickly) under the watchful eyes of medical professionals.

However, the environment isn't realistic. They just sort of...disappear from their lives. No work, no money worries, no general stresses, no need to balance time with family, friends or loved ones. Things are great for them knowing that it's temporary and they'll get to return to the people they care about, and it's wonderful that they lose some much weight and put themselves in a healthier position, but when they're back at work and having to balance their time many come crashing back down to Earth very quickly. I love watching the show, seeing the emotion and effort and how people deal with things, but I feel sorry for the contestants.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I actually met a previous contestant from last season a few weeks ago - they work out hard for approx 3 hrs and then are just active the rest of the time (walks and other cardio). The have a certain burn to achieve everyday. They also have a rest day and a spike day. They actually told me it was out of the ordinary for Bob to walk in with 7 boxes of Pizza and say eat ..... I love the show I did wish they showed more working out than some of the drama but that is what a DVR is for you can fast forward thru the crap LOL
    I think it is presented as a healthy lifestyle and not something extreme - of course we can't do everything they do but we can take some of the advice and exercises and through little things change our lives.

I think most people's problem is they have a lose it now attitude - but we didn't gain it that quick so losing it is going to take a while too !
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Because what they do is extreme. Their workouts are extreme. Their dieting is extreme.

And extreme is not sustainable.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I tried watching the show, but I just couldn't do it. It makes it look like it's easy. Too easy. I realize that the state I'm in is my own fault, don't get me wrong. But they make it seem like if you would just eat right and exercise for about 15 min a day then you will lose all of your weight. I just hate the way they portray the people and how diets work. That and for some reason I can't define I really CAN'T STAND Jillian Michaels. She annoys me to say the least.
    lol. Ha ha
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I do not think they make anything look easy. They definitely do not make me feel like working out 15 minutes will get results. They work out for hours and hours a day and they say that. I dont think they are any more likely to gain back their weight than people who have weight loss surgery. In fact, almost all of their contestants have kept their weight off successfully since they have been on the show.
    True, i agree 100%
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Because what they do is extreme. Their workouts are extreme. Their dieting is extreme.

does that mean maintaining has to be extreme? Just because its extreme dieting, does it have to be unhealthy?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

does that mean maintaining has to be extreme? Just because its extreme dieting, does it have to be unhealthy?

I don't think the dieting is unhealthy, I just don't think its maintainable. Just watching them at a restaurant and Bob/Jillian guiding them on what to eat. Its pretty ridiculous.

The exercise they do would be unhealthy if attempted by an unfit person without the supervision of a doctor and/or trainer.
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well, if comments by one of the former contestants are anything to go by it's not just extreme but dangerously unhealthy:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/biggest-loser-contestant-kai-hibbard-eating-disorder/story?id=11012666#.TzQsBSNQBZI
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I belonged to Weight Watchers, members would complain they lost one pound or a half pound. Why couldn't they be like Joe Shmo on Biggest Loser who is losing 8-10 pounds a week? The show may be inspirational to some, but it causes unrealistic expectations for those doing other weight loss program. Losing a pound or two a week is the normal, healthy way. Any rapid, extreme weight loss could kill you.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options

I don't think the dieting is unhealthy, I just don't think its maintainable. Just watching them at a restaurant and Bob/Jillian guiding them on what to eat. Its pretty ridiculous.

The exercise they do would be unhealthy if attempted by an unfit person without the supervision of a doctor and/or trainer.
    mmmhh i hear you :-)