Too many oranges? Too much fruit?

Options
I eat 2-3 oranges a day plus other fruit and vegies. I am probably getting about 8 servings aday.Does anyone know if this is ok or not good?

Replies

• dogwdots
    dogwdots Posts: 146
    Options
    I eat 2-3 oranges a day plus other fruit and vegies. I am probably getting about 8 servings aday.Does anyone know if this is ok or not good?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Its perfect! you are supposed to have 5-10 a day according to the canadian food guide.
  • dogwdots
    Options
    I was just worried that maybe it was too much citrus.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    well I bet you don't get many colds :wink:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I was just worried that maybe it was too much citrus.

The only thing about citrus is acid wear on your teeth, but you can do things to help prevent it:

* Follow the advice of your dental professional and make sure you have regular dental check ups.

* Allow acidic foods and drinks to pass through your mouth quickly to reduce the time they are in contact with your teeth. Strong evidence suggests that the manner in which the acidic food or drink is consumed is more important than the overall quantity.

* If possible, drink soft drinks through a straw directed into your mouth and not directly at your teeth.

* Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after consuming acidic foods and/or drinks, as this is when enamel is at its softest and most likely to be damaged.

* Dentists recommend you brush teeth gently, but thoroughly, with a medium or soft toothbrush like the Sensodyne ProNamel toothbrush. This will help to minimize the risks of abrasion and tooth wear.
  • dogwdots
    Options
    Thanks - just went to the dentist and he said everything looks great - so no worries there.

And I don't drink soft drinks hardly ever anymore. Gave 'em up about a month ago.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi...more variety would be better...now that I'm older, my Dr. wants me to eat oranges, bananas and tomatoes sparingly because to high of potassium levels is hard on the kidneys and could even cause kidney stones...I was shocked, I thought I was taking good care of myself eating so many oranges and I love oranges.
  • dogwdots
    Options
    That is interesting. I am going in for aphysical in a couple of weeks. I will ask my doctor about that.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Just be careful about the calories in fruit.....some of them are pretty sneaky! :frown:
  • mikeleroux1970
    mikeleroux1970 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Canada's food guide suggests:
    vegetables and fruits: male 19-50yrs=8-10 servings
    - female19-50yrs=7-8 servings
    -over 50 =7 servings male and female

grain products: -m19-50=8 <50=7
    -f19-50=6-7 <50=6

milk and alternatives:-m&f 19-50=2 <50=3

meat and alternatives:-any age male=3
    -any age female=2
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Remember, you should have 8 - 10 servings of Fruitis AND vegetables. If you are covering that with only fruits you are probably limiting your vitamins and taking in a lot more sugar.