Do you think exercise is stalling my weight loss?!?!

Options
I started this journey the week before New Years. I lost 9 lbs. with just eating better. Recently, I started exercising and since then my weight loss has stopped. I have been doing 30DS for about 9 days and walking. Just not sure how to get it started again...any help is appreciated...thanks!

Replies

• ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No. Check your measurements. You may be losing some fat but gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat (but good news!! more muscle=faster metabolism=a thinner you). But no. Exercise should never hinder your weight loss. Keep exercising.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When you're new to an exercise, it creates tiny tears in your muscles (not a bad thing... that's how muscles get stronger). Those tears cause your muscles to retain fluid as they repair. Retain fluid = inflammation = sometimes a stall or increase on the scale.

Give it time. And be sure to give yourself rest days. Even the 30 Day Shred shouldn't be done for 30 days straight.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree... dont' stop exercising...take measurements. I've heard that a lot of times people don't lose much weight doing 30DS but they lose a lot of inches. I know when I did RI30 having those measurements definitely helped. Now I record them every Friday and have seen a steady decline every week since I started.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When you're new to an exercise, it creates tiny tears in your muscles (not a bad thing... that's how muscles get stronger). Those tears cause your muscles to retain fluid as they repair. Retain fluid = inflammation = sometimes a stall or increase on the scale.

Give it time. And be sure to give yourself rest days. Even the 30 Day Shred shouldn't be done for 30 days straight.

what she said!!
  • rochey1098
    Options

Spot on
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Happen's when people start up...it will start coming off. Take your measurements too...everytime I feel like I'm not loosing I measure and see the difference. Always helps me feel better!!!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Take those measurements! You might be pleasantly surprised.

This past weigh in I had only lost 1lb (I weight every 2 weeks) but I also lost 2 inches on my waist and 1 on my hips. Sometimes the numbers on the scales do not give you the full story. My clothes are fitting better (I really need to go buy a belt) and I feel better. There are victories that have nothing to do with the scale.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    30DS most likely incorporates resistance training moves which cause you to build muscle. By doing this you are changing your body composition from a higher % of bodyfat and lower % of muscle to a higher% of muscle and a lower % of bodyfat. When measuring the same volume of muscle to the same volume of fat, muscle will always weigh more since it is more dense. Translate this to the body. You may gain 5 pounds of muscle and lose 5 pounds of fat, however, since muscle has a higher measure of density, you are actually physically smaller. This can be proven when you measure yourself and are losing inches but not physical weight. If your within 10-20 pounds of your goal weight, concentrate more on bodyfat % and loss of inches then weight. By not measuring your success solely on weight will benefit you in the long run since it will help you to continue to change your body composition instead of sacrificing hard earned lean muscle to achieve some arbritary number on the scale.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Sometimes I think it's hindering mine. I keep stalling. I went away for a week, with not counting calories and not to much exercise. I did have some walking and a short cardio session, but not much and I came back and lost a pound. Since then nothing. I sometimes feel like backing off exercise a bit, but I know I'll feel guilty and lazy if I do.
  • tiggertigger
    Options
    I started working out a couple of weeks before Christmas, so far I have only lost 2 lbs, no inches, I do a 20 min cardio, and I have a few aps downloaded on my phone called Daily ab, Daily leg, Daily butt I do these about 5 times a week, I don't see a difference in me. I have been watching my calories, went from 1200 to 1500 like my dr. said to try and boost my metablism and nothing has worked, very frustrated. :angry:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

THIS. You haven't gained muscle this fast. That takes a long time...but it's water weight from the exercising. It WILL come off. Keep going!
  • albuslux
    Options
    Just keep at it. You may not lose weight as fast but you'll be leaner and look better. Do not stop exercising, just don't drop your net cals into starvation mode. Good job!
    I have the same issue. Lost 12 lbs and 1.5" from my waist over 4 weeks. Started working out more about 10 days ago and ramped it up. I've regained 3 lbs but maintained the waist. So i need to change the stats I watch. I increased my protein percentage to help repair the muscle.
  • jennhamps
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am trying to just stay focused as I know fitness is not just measured by the scale, however I guess that's how I am reassured what I am doing is working. I have never taken measurements but I think I will start :0) Thanks, again!
  • jennhamps
    Options
    When do you think the scale will start moving again...it has been 2 weeks...it has to go somewhere soon, right?!?! lol
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    No. Exercise is not stalling your weight loss. Exercise will never stall a weight loss. But diet will do it every time.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it's hindering mine. I keep stalling. I went away for a week, with not counting calories and not to much exercise. I did have some walking and a short cardio session, but not much and I came back and lost a pound. Since then nothing. I sometimes feel like backing off exercise a bit, but I know I'll feel guilty and lazy if I do.

You may need to eat more....just a thought :)

Completely and totally agree. The more you work out, the more muscle you gain. The more muscle you gain, the more calories you burn. The more calories you burn, the more you need to eat to keep yourself from stalling.

Basically, with working out, eating more = losing more.

Backward, I know. Crazy? Probably. But it works.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When do you think the scale will start moving again...it has been 2 weeks...it has to go somewhere soon, right?!?! lol

My scale stayed stuck for 3 months.

I ended up dropping a pants size.

Weight is relative. Remember, a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. I encourage you to take your measurements every other week.