How accurate is the fitbit with tracking calories?

Options
I am looking at the fitbit just to see how many total calories I am really burning each day. Do those of you that have this think that it does a good accurate job of measuring this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. It seems to be wwaaayyy more than what I thought.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    BUMP... ANYONE?
  • dimplzz
    Options
    hmm one more bump and then not again till the evening crowd I guess. I know that some of you out there have one! :-D
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have one... I'm really interested in the answer though because I am looking into getting one. :smile:
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I believe the website states 90% accuracy.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    DITTO!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. It seems to be wwaaayyy more than what I thought.

I agree, not too sure about that...I also found that if I wear it on my bra and it's not pressing directly against my chest the readings seem way under. I'm going to give it 30 days tho
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at it and wonder if it's worth the money or if I should go with a different one...I'm curious to see what other's experiences with it are.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering too and thinking about getting one...It's not too much more than a good hrm.
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did 45 min on elliptical and the machine said 800. Fitbit said 1000 and Mfp said 328. CONFUSING!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You might try posting on the Fitbit group here on MFP, too. That's a pretty responsive group and you know people there have one!

If you mean the calories burned number on the tracker/Fitbit website ... The only thing with accuracy that I can compare the Fitbit to is my heart rate monitor ... If my only activity is walking, the fitbit seems to be a little bit higher - but then it's including your daily base rate, too, based on your height/weight/stats on the Fitbit website.

If you mean the calories burned "Fitbit adjustment" that ships over here to MFP - you might notice that it will post one number immediately after sync'ing, then it will adjust that number over the course of the day as your BMR uses some of them up.

Hope that helps - you'll probably get better info from the Fitbit group though (Community --> Groups --> search "Fitbit" )
  • Dwalp28
    Dwalp28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on this site (but can't find it, of course) that the Fit Bit is about 90% accurate, but it doesn't correctly calculate things like weight lifting or kick boxing. The Fitbit doesnt measure calorie burn like a HRM does. I wear my Fitbit all day, but also wear a HRM when I'm working out doing things other than running/elipitcal etc. Ive worn both during running and they're pretty similar readings, but when I've worn them both in Zumba or a cardio/lifting class, the HRM always is way higher. Hope that helps.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I agree, not too sure about that...I also found that if I wear it on my bra and it's not pressing directly against my chest the readings seem way under. I'm going to give it 30 days tho

I have one, I'm of the same opinion at the moment :)
  • robinpickles
    robinpickles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about a month.. I was stalled out ,and now since seeing that I was not eating enough back (exercise and bmi cals) I seem to be on a loosing path again!

As far as exercise goes, I use the Wii and Kinnect for most days, and elliptical machine as well. the count was right on (the wii and kinnect read higher by about half +50) and the elliptical was right on the mark...

I find its greatest benefit is knowing how much I'm moving (or not moving), and to be able to track those numbers quickly and easily.

Hope that helped some!
  • dimplzz
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! Thanks so much everyone for the responses! Now it is decision time.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    They're really designed to only calculate calories for steps (paces and stair/steps)... so if you're doing a strenuous workout that doesn't involve a stepping motion, the Fitbit won't "see" it.... I use both the Fitbit (to get credit for my walking/stairs activities) and then use an HRM during workouts for the workout calories burned. That way all bases are covered!