My favorite scientific paper of the day

Options
LabRat529
LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
Important part in bold:
BMJ. 2011 Aug 26;343:d4488. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d4488.
Chocolate consumption and cardiometabolic disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Buitrago-Lopez A, Sanderson J, Johnson L, Warnakula S, Wood A, Di Angelantonio E, Franco OH.
Source
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge CB1 8RN, UK.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To evaluate the association of chocolate consumption with the risk of developing cardiometabolic disorders.
DESIGN:
Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials and observational studies.
DATA SOURCES:
Medline, Embase, Cochrane Library, PubMed, CINAHL, IPA, Web of Science, Scopus, Pascal, reference lists of relevant studies to October 2010, and email contact with authors.
STUDY SELECTION:
Randomised trials and cohort, case-control, and cross sectional studies carried out in human adults, in which the association between chocolate consumption and the risk of outcomes related to cardiometabolic disorders were reported.
DATA EXTRACTION:
Data were extracted by two independent investigators, and a consensus was reached with the involvement of a third. The primary outcome was cardiometabolic disorders, including cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease and stroke), diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. A meta-analysis assessed the risk of developing cardiometabolic disorders by comparing the highest and lowest level of chocolate consumption.
RESULTS:
From 4576 references seven studies met the inclusion criteria (including 114,009 participants). None of the studies was a randomised trial, six were cohort studies, and one a cross sectional study. Large variation was observed between these seven studies for measurement of chocolate consumption, methods, and outcomes evaluated. Five of the seven studies reported a beneficial association between higher levels of chocolate consumption and the risk of cardiometabolic disorders. The highest levels of chocolate consumption were associated with a 37% reduction in cardiovascular disease (relative risk 0.63 (95% confidence interval 0.44 to 0.90)) and a 29% reduction in stroke compared with the lowest levels.
CONCLUSIONS:
Based on observational evidence, levels of chocolate consumption seem to be associated with a substantial reduction in the risk of cardiometabolic disorders. Further experimental studies are required to confirm a potentially beneficial effect of chocolate consumption.

It's a pity I can't add rainbow sparkles to highlight the bolded part. It's THAT important.

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/indepth.food/sweets/chocolate.cravings/index.html

Specifically: "Now, researchers have found that eating chocolate, the number one food craved by American women, causes the brain to release endorphins, chemicals that make us feel good."

Conclusion: Chocolate is health food.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    My heart is thanking me as I nibble on this Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bar. :heart:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My heart is thanking me as I nibble on this Scharffen Berger dark chocolate bar. :heart:

My heart would thank you too if you shared. GIMME!!!!!!!
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT !!! Aldi has some geat 80% cocoa bars - maybe I will get one on the way home :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Most of the europeans have always known that chocolate is very good eats. Its what kind of chocolate you eat and how you eat it and how often you eat it. You goto a store, a typical candy bar (snickers) have all kinds of added crap. Corn syrup, more sugar, this, that, blah blah blah. The list of ingredients in them goes on forever....

A typical chocolate outside of north America you will find is simple. They might have some nuts, milk chocolate and a few other ingredients that enhances the flavor of the chocolate. They know that chocolate is amazing by itself and dont need TONS AND TONS of crap loaded into it.

Try dark chocolate btw, its even better for ya