Fitbit

Options
I am thinking of purchasing the new Fitbit. I would really like to know what everyone thinks of it. :smile:

Replies

• RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I, too, am considering getting it but haven't heard much about it aside of what I saw on their website http://www.fitbit.com/
    A salesperson at Best Buy informed me he is a MFP user and uses the FitBit as it is a lot less work than trying to figure out how far he walked, and how many calories he burned. So I will be following this thread to see if anyone 'out there' has experience using it, or if there are other alternatives out there.
  • robb7
    robb7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I picked one up about a week ago. I used MFP to track exercise and food because they have a native android app. The food tracking on fitbit.com is all web based and not as nice. You can join fitbit.com and use it without having an actual fitbit. I find that it's about 90% accurate. The one thing I don't like about it is that when you are in the car driving there's no way to 'pause' it so that it doesn't count these as steps so you end up logging all your car trips as activities on fitibt.com to help with accurate tracking. The couple things I like about it is the 'sleep tracker' and the constant calorie update. The sleep tracker is a little creepy but I can scroll through my previous days and see what night's I didn't sleep well or see why I'm tired. The constant calorie tracking helps me eat more. I have a habit of trying to create huge calorie deficits (which is bad bad bad) and the website and the fitbit actually show me that I burned X number of calories simply by living. This keeps me eating to keep up with it so that I do reach my daily goals.
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I picked one up about a week ago. I used MFP to track exercise and food because they have a native android app. The food tracking on fitbit.com is all web based and not as nice. You can join fitbit.com and use it without having an actual fitbit. I find that it's about 90% accurate. The one thing I don't like about it is that when you are in the car driving there's no way to 'pause' it so that it doesn't count these as steps so you end up logging all your car trips as activities on fitibt.com to help with accurate tracking. The couple things I like about it is the 'sleep tracker' and the constant calorie update. The sleep tracker is a little creepy but I can scroll through my previous days and see what night's I didn't sleep well or see why I'm tired. The constant calorie tracking helps me eat more. I have a habit of trying to create huge calorie deficits (which is bad bad bad) and the website and the fitbit actually show me that I burned X number of calories simply by living. This keeps me eating to keep up with it so that I do reach my daily goals.

it logs car trips as steps if you don't manually enter it??
  • cassi_johan
    cassi_johan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would really like to know if I should throw my money towards the Fitbit or if a HRM would work just the same?
  • RobinvdM
    Options
    AFAIK not all heart rate monitors are the same.

Fit bit actually accumulates all this info then sends it off to your pc (assuming its on) every time it gets close to it It tracks your steps, altitude (for stair climbing, not sure if it counts hills during walks or not,) sleeping patterns if that was something you wanted to know, and calories burned - among other things. It does NOT have a heart rate monitor AFAIK.

Heart rate monitors come in a variety of different packages. Most do calories, not all are pedometers, some do not have GPS, a rare few come with MP3 players, some you wear on your wrist, and a few high end ones are belts you wear around your chest just above your sternum or something like that. Those, however, are limited in sizes.

Research is your best friend, because everything comes with different abilities, different shapes and sizes, and a huge difference in price range.
  • cassi_johan
    cassi_johan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Which makes this all wayyyyy CONFUSING! I think my main objective is to get something that is going to track (calculate) all the calories I burn. I don't know if thats something I can get with a HRM or if Fitbit would be better. UGH!!!
  • RobinvdM
    Options
    Ya I've been looking for a HRMonitor for the last cpl days, and am just as lost though more informed now than I was then. I suppose basically you have to know what it is you are looking for exactly and then start looking for it. I like what FitBit has to offer, and the fact that it works with MFP is awesome. But it isn't a heart rate monitor, and my darling hubby has fixated on the heart rate thing.

So I spose what *I* want is: a heart rate monitor, altimeter(cause I know its out there so now I want it :P), calorie tracker, pedometer. I don't need a GPS tracker, MP3 player, since I can use my android phone/apps for those.

So, dig around, find out what it is you want, don't want, and go from there. The options are pretty cool.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Anytouch Pedometer Heart Rate Watch, I like the heart rate part of it, but it does not do what I need other than that. I too am looking at the fitbit wanting it to track calories burned during activities such as cycling and walking and pretty much any exercising I do. If any one knows if fitbit does that or if there is a machine that does that people are aware of I would love to find out!
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    I have a fitbit as of a couple of days ago. What's really good about this thing is it counts all calories burned...not just activities, but calories burned when idle. Also the website (after you set up and give details etc like here) gives you a general idea of how many calories you should aim for during the day, and it keeps adjusting depending on your activity level every time you sync the device. So instead of MFP having a set in stone calorie goal...this website has an ever adjusting one. As a result, I'm now ignoring the MFP calorie goal and just using MFP to log food with the fitbit website to monitor progress and stats.

There are a couple of downsides to it though. For one, as another person mentioned...when in a car or public transport, it still counts steps and stuff (but you can add them to activities on the fitbit website to adjust things) and another downside is that its impossible to add calories burned to MFP since it counts all calories burned during the day. So I guess thats both a good and bad thing.

Overall though, I have to say I'm really liking it so far. :-)

Although I haven't used the sleep monitoring side of it yet and may never do. I think I may leave that to my sleep cycle alarm clock app as and when I need to use it.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    I have a fitbit as of a couple of days ago. What's really good about this thing is it counts all calories burned...not just activities, but calories burned when idle. Also the website (after you set up and give details etc like here) gives you a general idea of how many calories you should aim for during the day, and it keeps adjusting depending on your activity level every time you sync the device. So instead of MFP having a set in stone calorie goal...this website has an ever adjusting one. As a result, I'm now ignoring the MFP calorie goal and just using MFP to log food with the fitbit website to monitor progress and stats.

There are a couple of downsides to it though. For one, as another person mentioned...when in a car or public transport, it still counts steps and stuff (but you can add them to activities on the fitbit website to adjust things) and another downside is that its impossible to add calories burned to MFP since it counts all calories burned during the day. So I guess thats both a good and bad thing.

Although I haven't used the sleep monitoring side of it yet and may never do. I think I may leave that to my sleep cycle alarm clock app as and when I need to use it.

I am not trying to be obnoxious but does it track everything you burn, if I went for a bike ride and then walked on a treadmill and then did karate, does it track all activities (exercise) that one could possibly think of? I really can't spend the $100 on each since I need two if I don't have more info, if you can answer that could you please? Thanks for everything to this point and your answer is very helpful.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello, I received my FITBIT 3 days ago ( I live in Australia) and it is fantastic!
    Linked to MFP is great as it automatically enters extra calories you have earned from exercise/movement. ( I aready have a heart monitor - this is better)
    I am now buying one for each of my family, as they need to realise how much more they need to move. Especially the children parked infront of their computers or game stations!
    The activity setting can calculate such things as "walking the dog" accurately - distance, if uphill, how many steps this equals.
    It even calculated how many calories I had gained to my allowance by doing the weekly house work yesterday!
    Very easy to use - I am 53!
    Very simple to wear - I put it on my bra and it is not noticable.
    Sleep feature very good -I work night shifts - now I have evidence of how well I recover on nights off.
    Can't fault it!
  • matt1986wilson
    Options

I am not trying to be obnoxious but does it track everything you burn, if I went for a bike ride and then walked on a treadmill and then did karate, does it track all activities (exercise) that one could possibly think of? I really can't spend the $100 on each since I need two if I don't have more info, if you can answer that could you please? Thanks for everything to this point and your answer is very helpful.

Yes it does, but its nondescript. It just counts the loss, not how you are losing the calories.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Love my FitBit! Great to know when I have an active day around how many calories I am burning. It's really impossible to estimate things like grocery shopping and running back and forth at the office some days without a FitBit or Bodybug or something. It's nice to know if I'm hungry that I have, in fact, burned enough calories with my daily activities not to worry about it. I like the activity tracking, sleep tracking, weight and heartrate tracking (manual), etc. It's nice to have everything in one place, and it syncs with MFP.

Pam
  • MuseumOfAsh
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit for over a month now and I love it. I use MFP to log my calorie intake, as the database is so much better than Fitbit, but I use Fitbit to log all exercise. The only thing with Fitbit is that it doesn't record activities where you're still a lot of the time. It picks up body movement so with stuff like yoga and weight lifting when you're not moving your body a lot then it won't accurately track it. For yoga and strength training I either use MFP or just log it on the Fitbit website or app. Honestly, I rarely use the app but it comes in handy from time to time.

You have to be next to the docking station for the Fitbit to sync up and that's a bit inconvenient because I can't check throughout the day when I'm out running around. The actual Fitbit itself keeps track of steps taken, miles gone, calories burned, and flights of stairs climbed which is nice to have at your fingertips. It also syncs with MFP and, according to how many calories Fitbit says you've burned, it'll add the extra calories in as exercise on MFP so that you can take into account the extra calories you can eat.

Another thing I really like about it is that it breaks your day down into 4 categories, the amount of time you're sedentary, lightly active, fairly active, and very active. That's really helpful in seeing how your day was and how active or inactive you were. There's a function that records sleep and the tracker comes with a wrist band. I found it really uncomfortable to wear the wrist band at night and the Fitbit kept falling off so now I just hook it onto the collar of my shirt and it works just as well! It tells you what time you went to bed, how long you were in bed, how many times you woke, and the amount of time you were asleep. I find it so interesting.

Hope any of that helped!
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options

Yes it does, but its nondescript. It just counts the loss, not how you are losing the calories.

Thank you very much, now all I need to do is buy it! I am so thankful for all the help.:bigsmile:
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    Everyone was extremely helpful for me, thanks
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    Options
    Mine will be here Monday! I can't wait! I will probably be on here asking people how to use it!
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has been posted in other posts, but just wondering where you purchase the Fitbit in Australia? I was planning on buying it from Amazon, but was worried about the charger not suiting Australian power points?
  • BootyCamper
    BootyCamper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It charges via USB cable. And I love it!