Should I stop working out?

Options
I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I still have plenty of energy though. Should I stop working out?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    my physical therapist always said as long as you dont have a fever its ok
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I had a nasty cold, I didn't WANT to go to the gym but I did... I felt a lot better after going.

Just make sure to wrap up warm when you leave the gym!
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    When I have a cold, I give myself a few days off to rest up and get better...but then, my colds are usually quite nasty.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I still have plenty of energy though. Should I stop working out?

Let your body recuperate. You'll feel better and be able to get back to the gym faster.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you feel like working out, then work out. If not, wait until you get better. But, use common courtesy. If you are sick don't go to a gym and share your germs with everyone else.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    When you have a cold, you need fluids and rest. If you're sweating when working out, you could be losing too many fluids. Depending on how bad your cold is, you could overexert your body, which means you need even more rest.

When I'm sick I feel weak, and there's no way I could do strength training.
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on how sick you are, where you want to work out, and what you plan on doing. If you feel like working out, and you are working out at home, then go for it.

I usually try to get in atleast a walk on the treadmill unless I am really sick. Then I rest and focus on getting better, but as previous poster said be courteous and don't go to a gym where you will end up sharing those germs with everyone else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ask yourself...am I using this as an excuse to skip working out? (btw...I am not implying anything...dont know you) this is what I ask myself

then I remember that on those days I want to skip...I know that I ALWAYS an glad that I worked out
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depends how bad really.

Before christmas, i could sleep, eat, swallow water, that was point i couldnt exercise, i was drained!
    I got better 3 weeks later got a mild cold, i was able to push through first 5 days then i got very bad cough, couldnt breathe as great so exercise was very difficult so when i rested.

Point being, should be able to judge your state :)
  • clarkie57
    clarkie57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i would say NO! If you feel well enough to work out, go for it! You will circulate your blood and maybe knock some of the germs out of your system. Just make sure not to sneeze on anyone!! LOL if you are on a machine wipe it off before you get on and off!!!