Can you drink too much water????

Options
Ok MFP friends...I have a question??? Is it possible to drink too much water. I have been feeling extremely bloated for the past two weeks, I have been drinking (usually) about a gallon of water a day + other fluids (my morning coffee, tea exc.) My diet has been a bit off (but not too much from the norm). I have gained 4lbs over the past week! So I started thinking about what I have really changed. The only thing that I can think of is my fluid intake. I did a little research online, and most said that drinking a lot of water can help loose weight, but then I read that you are only suppose to drink 1/2 your body weight in oz. per day including other fluids and fluid that you may get from food (fruits/veg, broths ect.)! What do you all think???

Replies

• BrittC75
    Options
    You can drink too much water and even start flushing out nutrients, vitamins, etc. that your body needs.
  • cdcro
    cdcro Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Water poisoning (water intoxication) is real and dangerous. I had a guy almost die in boot camp from drinking too much water. It causes an electrolyte imbalance that can shut your body down pretty quick. Don't take advice from idiots on the internet, quit drinking so much and call your doctor.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    N/M
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Probably extraordinarily rare but it definitely happens: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/14/local/me-water14
  • Edward220
    Options
    try keeping your water intake to 1/2 your weight in oz !! It has helped me !! You do not want to flush all the nutrients down the bowl :-)
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an individual tolerance level - but yes you can drink to much water as is flushes out the minerals and vitamines in your body - Causes headaches, nasuea, and a few others symptoms - usually found were you are not eating enough and sweating profusly
  • RihK
    RihK Posts: 4
    Options
    Lol, there is no substance known to mankind that you can consume or drink in huge quantities without actually having no adverse effects.

That being said water in huge quantities leads to water intoxication and from that point on quickly to death due to electrolyte imbalances. It is funny how people believe such fairytales and actually die for them.

As an example In 2008, Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-old British woman, died after drinking four liters of water in under two hours as part of her LighterLife diet plan.

Water does not help in any way to lose weight. Sure drinking cold water makes you burn a few calories but that's not much. By eating a tomato you have covered that deficit.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Bloating shouldn't really be an issue...increased water retention could be a possible reason for the weight gain.

Drinking too much water TOO FAST is how you get yourself into trouble, i.e., water intoxication or electrolyte imbalances. That's usually from chugging way too much water or super intense training and not replenishing electrolytes.

A gallon and a half throughout the day is perfectly fine. There's no need for rules like 8 cups a day or half your weight in ounces. They're just a way of simplifying things for people.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    Wow...Ok, thank you!
    I appreciate everything that you all have posted, and have heard a little about water intoxication. I would never drink water in mass amounts just to loose weight I just thought that a gallon a day was what you should be drinking. Makes sense to drink half your body weight in oz. per day(2 lieters-not 4)...and that is what I will be doing from now on. Just couldn't figure out bloat and unusual weight gain for me!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Your water did not sound excessive. Maybe a touch too much but not excessive. If your diet was off, you probably had too much sodium. It can take 4 days to rid your body of one day's excess is sodium. That is the number one bloater and bad for you too. Make sure you include sodium as a tracker. Processed food is literally POISONED with sodium. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    As noted by several people, yes, you can drink too much water. The best guidance I've ever seen is that if you are thirsty, or dehydrated (urine is not clear), then drink. If you are not thirsty and your urine is clear, then don't drink. Just listen to your body.
  • ElizabethKathrynJ
    Options
    Yes, you can. I've done that before because I drink so much. So, I switch between water, powerade zeros, and gatorade to help with that. Hope ypu find a solution(:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I find I get thirstier the more water I drink. But then, so far I'm only up to 2-3L a day...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Water intoxification usually happens when a lot is drunk over a short time. For a healthy adult, the kidneys can generally filter out extra water pretty well. I think the best rule of thumb is to drink when you desire and don't drink when you aren't wanting it.

As far as bloating, etc, how's your sodium? Too much will cause water retention to get the right balance in your body. Also other electrolyte issues could cause this. Or something else .... the best I can offer is to call your doctor!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 8 glasses a day. I drink more if I've had too much sodium. I used to drink as much as possible, 14-16 glasses, and I always felt bloated as well.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought of when reading this had to do with babies. I remembered that after having my son, the doctors made sure to tell me not to give him just plain water and that it can have lethal consequences for babies. And after reading the responses it makes sense. I'm sure babies have a very low tolerance for excess water because they're so tiny and that what they were referring to was water intoxication and electrolyte imbalances
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    Thank you for all of the wonderful responses. I think I will just cut back and dring as I am thirsty...but making sure that I get at least 8 glasses a day in! :flowerforyou: