Am I starving myself?

Options
I'm on day 12 or so of getting healthy again. In 2008 I was 165. I'm currently 253. My husband and I have lived fairly sedentary lives for the last 18-20 months.

My BMR is 1920 (or so). MFP has "given" me 1400 calories a day (2 pound/week loss). I try to eat back 70-90% of my exercise calories, and I try to underestimate calories burned during workouts because this site tends to be VERY generous on cals burned.

In the first 10 days, I only recorded a loss of 1.3 pounds. I had a couple of bad days, but I'm averaging just shy of 1400 calories a day. I know slow loss is sustainable, but at my weight, losing 2/week is safe... I'm just frustrated.

My question is- do you think my calories are too low and my body is just holding on to fat?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Patience. It takes many people years to get a body they're happy with.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you looking to lose? Being that you are 12 days into eating better I dont think you are starving yourself yet. "starvation mode" takes longer than that to go into affect
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Patience.

This.

If your BMR is really 1920, try upping your calories some. Might make the process more enjoyable.
  • joyces51
    Options
    Hi ,

I was wondering the same about myself. I have been exercising 5-6 days a week for 30-45 min and been doing this 1 month now and lost 5 pounds. I eat about 1400 calories and most weight watcher meals, drink 8 plus glasses of water , no pop of any sort. I am 51 yrs old, female, and thinkin I am not doing something right as well. I am at 190 #. Wondering if my metabolism is slowing down or why I am not losing as well. Any sugestions to keep my motivation up?
    Joyce
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    How much weight are you looking to lose? Being that you are 12 days into eating better I dont think you are starving yourself yet. "starvation mode" takes longer than that to go into affect

My goal is 90 pounds. I'm not hungry netting 1400 calories a day.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Your math doesn't seem to make sense to me. You say your BMR is 1920, and you lead a sedentary life. In order for you to lose 2 lbs a week you need to cut 1000 calories a day. That means that your total burn on an average day to maintain is 2400 calories? (2400-1000 = 1400) I would double check all your settings and make sure they are accurate.(it could be the activity lever, the gender, the age etc) That just seems high with a sedentary job. I would change your goal to 1lb a week, I know in your range it is safe to lose 2,but, I had mine set for 1lb a week and averaged 2 for the first couple of month.

Make sure you are logging everything you eat and double check the calorie info. There are errors in the data base.

Best wishes.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just keep working, there is no easy route , unless you feel ill or dramatically sluggish double check your numbers and dont hold onto anything else as an exuse except your work ethic.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Your math doesn't seem to make sense to me. You say your BMR is 1920, and you lead a sedentary life. In order for you to lose 2 lbs a week you need to cut 1000 calories a day. That means that your total burn on an average day to maintain is 2400 calories? (2400-1000 = 1400) I would double check all your settings and make sure they are accurate.(it could be the activity lever, the gender, the age etc) That just seems high with a sedentary job. I would change your goal to 1lb a week, I know in your range it is safe to lose 2,but, I had mine set for 1lb a week and averaged 2 for the first couple of month.

Make sure you are logging everything you eat and double check the calorie info. There are errors in the data base.

Best wishes.

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x 253) + ( 4.7 x 66 ) - ( 4.7 x 23 )
    BMR= 655+ 1100.55+ 310.2 - 108.1
    BMR= 1957

Harris Benedict Equation for Sedentary Lifestyle (TDEE)
    BMR x 1.2
    1957x 1.2= 2348

Which means a 1,000 calorie deficit would be 1350-1400

As for food- anything that is prepared at home I use a scale to measure out. If I have to eat something that I didn't prepare, I try to find the most consistent calorie data from sites other than MFP.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

My goal is 90 pounds. I'm not hungry netting 1400 calories a day.

Ok I myself have lost over 100lbs. When i first started the weight litteraly fell off because I was only eating 1200 calories but was working out 3 hours a day. I was taking in a negative amount of net calories. Unfortunately I joined MFP after I had lost almost all my weight and my continuance on a extremely low unhealthy calorie intact with my high impact exercise has caused me to gain about 10lbs. Most of this is due to my body being stresses and storing fat in my midsection because it continues to think it is starving.

Were i to do this all over again I would have joined MFP at the very beginning and followed it to a T. I have gone through such emotional issues from gaining some of that weight back. I have done severe damage to my body and am trying to fix it, but 3 years of my crazy dieting is going to take a while to fix.

Please follow the plan that MFP has set up. It honestly is the healthiest way.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are not eating enough. You're eating plenty of calories, but just too much at one time!

- Do not skip breakfast, if even a small something (granola bar, cereal, shake, etc).
    -Eat more of your calories for lunch vs dinner.
    - Drink a lot more water!! At your weight you should be drinking about 12 glasses a day minimum. My suggestion is to drink 1-3 cold glasses when you first wake up. It stimulates your body and gets the metabolism started - then eat breakfast and it will set you for the rest of the day.
    - Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!
    - Eat more lean protien !!!!

You should eat at least 4x per day.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding sodium to your log as well - looks like a lot of your foods are high sodium (but I'm no expert).
  • vilardip1
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are not eating enough. You're eating plenty of calories, but just too much at one time!

- Do not skip breakfast, if even a small something (granola bar, cereal, shake, etc).
    -Eat more of your calories for lunch vs dinner.
    - Drink a lot more water!! At your weight you should be drinking about 12 glasses a day minimum. My suggestion is to drink 1-3 cold glasses when you first wake up. It stimulates your body and gets the metabolism started - then eat breakfast and it will set you for the rest of the day.
    - Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!
    - Eat more lean protien !!!!

You should eat at least 4x per day.

agree, accept about skipping breakfast and eating heavier at lunch vs dinner..those are just flat out not true...if you can lower your carb total and make sure you consume a solid amount of fiber (from whole grains and veggies) and lean protein you will feel fuller longer
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Think about this. You did not gain ll of this weight overnight. It's going to take time to get it off. Be patient.

The fact that your scale is going down is a cause for celebration. Wether it's 1.5 pounds, or 5 pounds. You are on the right track.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 243 and my BMR is about 1875 so we are similar and my daily calorie goal is also around 1400, but mostly I look at my net and try to achieve 500-700 calorie deficit each day. I agree with the people that are saying eat more lean protein and veggies and start tracking your sodium. But the key here is patience, and to not get frustrated when the scale doesn't move and fall off the wagon. Measure yourself, pay attention to the way your body feels and they way your clothes fit. I know for me I will have 3 weeks when the scale doesn't budge and then on the 4th week I will have a 5 lb loss that is a culmination of a month of hard work. Everyone is different though. And if you want feel free to add me as a friend especially since we have similar stats. Best of luck!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i started @ 244.8lbs and was eating around 1800 a day with exercise so netted around 1300, im now @ 216.2lbs on around 1650 with no exercise due to injury and im actually losing more now, have lost 1.5lbs this week and 3lbs last week, MFP says on 1650 i should lose only 1?!

weight doesnt come off evenly every week, my first week i lost 5, 2nd week i gained 1 eating exactly the same way!

try adjusting your settings to 1.5lbs rather than 2. Try cook from scratch as much as you can, get plenty of fruit & veg, you will get way more food for the same calories compared to takeout / fast food. My diary is open if you want a look - I still eat junk sometimes, last week I had fried chicken, curry, fish & chips and icecream, but not every day, I try and balance it out with more healthy stuff most of the time. Consider altering macro ratios - MFP gives you really high carbs 55%, and low protein 15%, and also add sodium, that can make you retain water and therefore not see results on the scale. Ive altered mine to 40c/30f/30p when exercising, 45/30/25 at the minute.
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary know that this advice is not about your health but about staying with a program. Please remember that only on shows like The Biggest Loser do people lose 20, 15, 10, even 5 pounds a week. And when they do, it is because they are eating lets say 1300 calories a day and working out for 8 hours a day at a minimum. Just pay attention to your diary. If you get to much processed foods, begin with one meal a day being clean. Like oatmeal and a boiled egg in the morning. Or chicken breast and grilled veggies or leafy salad with chicken and (only 2 tablespoons) dressing for lunch or dinner. The little diet changes add up. Also NO ONE drinks enough water. So you probably need to up your intake.

If you need a buddy that won't talk down to you or if you want support from someone that will help you with the small steps or if you choose to take a giant leap into clean eating, friend request me. I will help you either way.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    Hi ,

I was wondering the same about myself. I have been exercising 5-6 days a week for 30-45 min and been doing this 1 month now and lost 5 pounds. I eat about 1400 calories and most weight watcher meals, drink 8 plus glasses of water , no pop of any sort. I am 51 yrs old, female, and thinkin I am not doing something right as well. I am at 190 #. Wondering if my metabolism is slowing down or why I am not losing as well. Any sugestions to keep my motivation up?
    Joyce
    I would stay away from pre-packaged frozen meals....they never have enough veggies and are loaded with sodium!
  • angraham2
    Options

I agree with this, the math doesn't make sense. 2 lbs a week is an awful lot. I would drop back to 1
  • Foxefabuluz
    Foxefabuluz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It will come. Suggestion: Try to leave the junk food restaurants alone (McDonald's etc.). Try preparing more meals at home, much healthier that way.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 12 or so of getting healthy again. In 2008 I was 165. I'm currently 253. My husband and I have lived fairly sedentary lives for the last 18-20 months.

My BMR is 1920 (or so). MFP has "given" me 1400 calories a day (2 pound/week loss). I try to eat back 70-90% of my exercise calories, and I try to underestimate calories burned during workouts because this site tends to be VERY generous on cals burned.

In the first 10 days, I only recorded a loss of 1.3 pounds. I had a couple of bad days, but I'm averaging just shy of 1400 calories a day. I know slow loss is sustainable, but at my weight, losing 2/week is safe... I'm just frustrated.

My question is- do you think my calories are too low and my body is just holding on to fat?

My suggestion based on what I see in your diary is cut back on the eating out. The sodium in those meals would be more than enough to have you retaining water which will cover up any loses you might have. Eating out on occasion is fine, but you seem to be doing it every day.