I am shocked how much sodium is in chicken

Options
And we're talking your boneless/skinless chicken breasts too! I was watching tv the other day and saw several news reports that chicken is one of the top five most sodium filled foods. I had no idea, I eat chicken all the time and never thought to look at the sodium amount on the package. Apparently they inject chicken with salt water as a preservative. Maybe I'm lame for not knowing this, but I was simply surprised at how much that equates to.

I try to keep my sodium down for health reasons but now this! You can buy organic or low sodium, but it's a price increase from what I've heard. I think I"d be willing to try it though. You?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Not all chichen is brined and i wouldn't buy it, ever. A good chicken (is there actually any left) doesn't need brining. it adds water weight and salt, so you paying extra for water weight...........nice business is you can get away with it.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    This is (one of the many reasons) why I only buy freshly butchered, locally sourced, humanely raised meat products.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your post. Buy locally butchered meat?
  • BecksFit88
    Options

I only purchase meat direct from the farms. They're not over-processed since they're going straight from farmyard to consumer, reducing the need for added preservatives.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I only purchase meat direct from the farms. They're not over-processed since they're going straight from farmyard to consumer, reducing the need for added preservatives.

I wasn't talking about yours, haha. I get the concept of buying local meats, I do it often.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I made this same discovery a few months ago when I saw that the frozen chicken I was buying had around 210 - 240 mg (I forget which) of sodium for a 4 oz. portion! Like you said, they are heavily brined. There are options, however.

Harvestland's frozen chicken and Perdue's Fit & Easy line of chicken (not frozen) both have 75 mg for a 4 oz. portion.

Harvestland's website is: http://purelyallnatural.com/

Perdue's website: http://www.perdue.com

Both are a little more expensive but worth it, IMHO.

Good luck!