How do you prevent your knees from killing you when running?

Options
No matter if it's on the ground or on a treadmill, my knees are always in pain whenever I run. What can I do to prevent his? FYI, I have "running shoes."

Replies

• 987Runner
    Options
    I'm no medical expert, but what works for me, is easing into running. I don't know if you are a beginning runner or not? I typically run the first five months of the year then quit when it gets hot. However this year, I'm training for a few half marathons and the plans keep saying "ease" into running to prevent injury. They have you start out very slow, short runs/walks so you can build up muscles. I have a tendency to go full out when I run. This time I'm following the plan to a "T" and my knees feel so much better than years past.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my knees hurt occasionally now, but not nearly as much as when i started running. the correct running shoes for your running style and physical make-up is very important. i would also agree with the poster that said "ease into it." i've been running 3-5 miles 3-4 times a week, but when i stretch out my long run too far, my knees suffer. i think some of it is due to the added pounding they take and some is probably due to poor form as my muscles grow tired. don't take on too much too quickly and let your body get used one distance before increasing milage.

hope this helps.
  • svackar
    Options
    I would agree you need to ease yourself into running. I know that I need to make sure that I'm warmed up before I do any running otherwise I have shin splints. Also, if you haven't - you should visit a running store and have them evaluate the type of running shoe you need. It's possible that your shoes are not providing the proper support or providing too much support which is putting a strain on your knees.

Good Luck!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    You shouldn't continue running if you have knee pains. Or at least you should cut back such that those pains go away and slowly work your way up to the distance.

I'm assuming you are a "heel-striker", which is how the majority of novice runners run. This is very bad for your knees, and leads to tons of injuries, in both novice and advanced runners. One thing you could try is to change your running form to a mid-foot strike, which absorbs shock much better. It can take months to fully adapt to the change, but it can pay off if it avoids chronic injuries.

Here is an article that talks about the problems with heel striking.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/why-runners-get-injured/
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Im a former collegiate sprinter with terrible knees from running tight turns all the time, i still run and they get stiff , best thing to do is get a Gait analysis to get the correct shoes , all running shoes are not the same, trust me there is a reason why some are 100$ plus , look into aisics or brooks, both have excellent price ranges and they really dont make a bad shoe, go to a running store or company and get fitted. i bet you will see a big improvement
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Getting proper shoes that fit your particular running style is important (not all running shoes are created for YOU specifically).

Also, you can try doing some weight training of strengthening exercises to help build up those muscles. Take it easy when you ease into running, too much too fast can really set you back quite a bit.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    LIke others have said, simply having "running shoes" is not the same as having the RIGHT running shoes. If you;re going to get serious about running, you'll have to go to a serious running store to get shoes -- at least, your first pair.

So, how do you find a "serious running store"? Easy. Google knows everything. Look up a couple of running stores, and go check them out. If they don't have a treadmill in the store for you to run on, leave.

The thing about "serious running stores" is that you'll probably end up paying MSRP for your shoes, but the service will be galactically better than what you get at the big-box running store.

Case in point: I needed new shoes, since mine were worn through the sockliner and giving me blisters. off to the running store (Boulder Running Co., in my case) I went. I left with a brand new pair of Asics Gel Kayanos. The first couple of times I ran in them, outdoors and on the mill, I started having knee pain at around 2-1/2 miles.

I called the store at about 20 minutes to closing on a weeknight and motored right over. They tried another five or six pairs of shoes on me, with the treadmill and video gait analysis, found another pair of shoes that would control my motion better, and sent me on my way -- with a full refund on the first pair of shoes, even though I'd already run outdoors in them.

Try getting that service from Sports Authority.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the running shoes comments. Go to a running store and have them evaluate how you run/strike the pavement and have them suggest some good shoes for you. Good running shoes, for your running style are very important.

I have knee pain when I run but have found when I weight train my legs they do much better.

Also use the foam rollers. I had a trainer tell me (at the end of my training for a Half Marathon) that if I had used a foam roller during the duration of my training I wouldn't have had the knee pain I had been dealing with the whole time. If you have never used a foam roller know in advance that in the beginning they HURT but are well worth it if you stick with it.
  • Laf300
    Options
    where on your knees does it hurt? if it is outer left side of left knee, outer right side of right knee it may be your IT bands... they can get cranky when you start to run a lot. If so, look up exercises to stretch them out and also invest in a foam roller... makes a HUGE difference, also youll need to rest and heal.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to repeat what PP's have said - get analyzed for the right shoes. If you already have, awesome.
    What are you doing other than running? Make sure you are strength training - the whole body.
    I used to have occasional knee pain, mostly when I was running too fast/far/much - but when I incorporated some really basic strength training (lunges, squats) into my weekly routine, the knee pain stopped (I was still increasing mileage). Also got rid of knee pain while walking up the stairs.
  • 44nFab
    44nFab Posts: 19
    Options
    I only started running for the first time in my life this past October. I agree about the gait analysis and the shoes. But I think you should also see your doctor about it. My knees started hurting terribly too. The doctor said I have "jumper's knee" and now I wear knees straps everytime I run. To put that in perspective, I run 5 days a week for 30 mins. My knees feel wonderful!! Hope this helps.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Generally, with runner's you hear knee pain is caused by weaknesses in the hip. I'd meet with a physical therapist to determine your weaknesses. Cross training and Yoga have been the key to me. Foam Rolling and lots of stretching. Just because you have running shoes, doesn't mean they are the correct shoe. I had to try several, and still use different types at different times depending on my distances or surface I'm running on. My knee issues really came the first time from 'only running' not cross training and the second issue was from tightness in my hip, my massage therapist has done wonders for me
  • jonnyk82
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I will check out a running store soon.

@LAF300, the pain in my knees is in the direct center of the knee caps.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Try Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run method
  • 987Runner
    Options
    Generally, with runner's you hear knee pain is caused by weaknesses in the hip. I'd meet with a physical therapist to determine your weaknesses. Cross training and Yoga have been the key to me. Foam Rolling and lots of stretching. Just because you have running shoes, doesn't mean they are the correct shoe. I had to try several, and still use different types at different times depending on my distances or surface I'm running on. My knee issues really came the first time from 'only running' not cross training and the second issue was from tightness in my hip, my massage therapist has done wonders for me

I nearly forgot that! I was going to physical therapy for my shoulder and mentioned that I was having knee pains. He showed me a few exercises having to do with my hip and NOT coincidentally, my right side hip was much weaker than my left and my right knee was the one in pain. Good point, thanks for the reminder!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Super Cissus Powder.. (Warning buy pill form, the powder to drink is NASTY)

Will say as someone who gets joint pain Super Cissus powder is awesome, it takes about 12 days to feel the full effect but it does wonderful. I get shoulder issues with lifting and it's a staple of mine now. Today I thought I'd do the toss the powder in my mouth and chug water down method... warning, don't do that.

You can pick the powder up at most nutrition stores, or I buy mine online.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the weak hips comment. My week hips (and not crosstraining) caused IT Band issues for me. I haven't ran in 2 months because of it. :cry:
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    One more vote for getting fitted/analyzed for the right running shoe for you. Every 2 pairs, I get fitted (due to mileage, this is about 2.5-3 months). I just went in yesterday and I knew that the shoes that were fine 3 months ago, were no longer so. I was getting weird pains in my left hip, my right groin and my right foot/ankle. I could tell that I wasn't running balanced in them. Person watched me run in them a couple of times, diagnosed the issue which btw accounted for all my pains and then took 30 minutes putting me in various lasts, shoe models, inserts, etc until I got into a pair that made me say "ahhhh" and had me running balanced.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to retain water. I have noticed that, on days when my legs are retaining more water, my knees hurt more when I'm running. I think maybe it's from the extra pressure from the excess fluid...idk. I've been trying to go low on the sodium intake, and the pressure/pain in the knees seems to have lessened somewhat. However, I always have some knee discomfort when running because of my size. I've lost 45lbs, but I still weigh 256lbs.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    To add to what everyone else has said (particularly about getting fitted for shoes---highly recommend) also what is your supplement routine like? I found that once I began taking fish oil capsules 3 times a day, my joint pain practically disappeared. I used to get pain in my hips and left knee and now it's only on occasion and only if I've had a particularly long/tough run. Take it easy :)