So I read you're not supposed to eat under your bmr..

Options
My BMR is 1,618 but MFP has my calorie number set at 1,510?
I don't really know what to think about that..

Replies

• emmy0417
    emmy0417 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah - MFP had mine set at 1444 and my nutritionist has me set at 1800. Apparently it's really more about the amount of proteins, carbs, fats and sugars you take in and what your desired outcome is - e.g. do you want to lose weight? do you want to tone? do you want to get cut? All that. I'm doing the 1800 now but the diff is I'm taking in way more carbs and proteins - I notice it, but it's all clean food so it doesn't feel like a million trillion more cals.
  • girlholiday
    Options
    My bmr is 1,795 but MFP has me set at 1,240 for 2 pounds a week. I don't get what I'm supposed to follow.
  • allies94
    Options
    I had mine set at 2 lbs a week and I started actually gaining weight.. then, on the same topic, someone said that if you don't eat enough calories your body starts storing more? ughhh It's just so confusing :/
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Eat at your BMR... You will still have a daily deficit as long as you get out of bed each day.
  • allies94
    Options
    Eat at your BMR... You will still have a daily deficit as long as you get out of bed each day.

Okay, thanks, I'll do that :)
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mfp uses your estimated tee ( or tdee) which (in general terms)is calculated using your bmr and activity level
    Bmr is your resting rate-like if you were in a coma
  • KCMMommy
    KCMMommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you set your amount to lose too aggressively, it WILL put you under your BMR. (It's just doing the math to give you enough of a calorie deficit to give you the loss you ask for. For example, I have about 25 - 30 lbs to lose. When I set it to lose 2lbs a week, it puts me at 1200. That IS under my BMR, so I actually gain. It sucks, and I had to learn it the hard way
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't go under your BMR. Yeah, it will work for a while, but then you will stall out and potentially start gaining. I was eating around 1,200 calories a day, and was at a stand-still for nearly a year. I took on a personal trainer who told me to eat 1400 calories every day, indicating that I also wasn't getting enough protein. He said you should aim for your goal every day...no bouncing around. You control the rest of the deficit with exercise. I did what he told me to do, and lost 10 lbs in the first month, and I continue to lose. I've slowed down a little, but have noticed that my clothing fit is not changing. At this point, it is probably a case that I'm starting to gain more muscle, as my body fat percentage...without really changing a size...went from 34% to just over 24%. This is perfectly fine with me...as I think I'm slim enough (now between sizes 4 and 6 depending on who is making the clothing), and I am now striving for better tone of my problem areas.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've been eating my exercise calories back and I lose a tiny bit then plateau again. So I'm giving it another week or 2 and if I'm still not really losing, I'm thinking of just eating my BMR. I am going to go by my body media fit. Which tells me by the time I've woken up in the morning my calories burned say like 640 or so, and that is around 8:30 am. So I figure my actual BMR is around 1800 or a little less. So I may just try the 1800 for a little bit. Currently with my work outs I'm eating 2000, so it's not to much less. But maybe it will help. MFP wants me to eat 1200 for 2 lb/week (actually it's only 1.9), but I had bumped it to 1.5 lb/week. so it gives me 1400.
  • hannata86
    Options
    If you set your amount to lose too aggressively, it WILL put you under your BMR. (It's just doing the math to give you enough of a calorie deficit to give you the loss you ask for. For example, I have about 25 - 30 lbs to lose. When I set it to lose 2lbs a week, it puts me at 1200. That IS under my BMR, so I actually gain. It sucks, and I had to learn it the hard way

this.

theorectically you should follow something like this:

bmi 32 + = lose 2lb
    bmi 28-32 = lose 1.5
    bmi 26-28 = 1lb a week
    bmi <26 = 0.5 a week

At the end of the day its not an exact science... you have to play around with it, balance your exercise & how much you eat with your tdee and your bmr to get your results.