Breastfeeding & Starting my weight loss journey

Options
:smile:

Hi! I am new to this site so hopefully I am doing this right. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 29yrs old and a mother of 2 little ones ( 3yrs old & a 9 month old). I am breastfeeding my littlest one and most of the baby weight fell off quickly. However, the last 10lbs are stubborn and I hate the appearance of my stomach now (loose prune looking skin). Anyhow, I have finally made the decision to stop complaining and start doing something about it. I have been using my elliptical each morning and have also added a Jillian Michaels DVD on some days (when I don't have a baby crawling under me :smile: ).

I hope to connect with other mom's also making the decision to loose the baby weight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, because I am nursing I want to be sure I don't loose weight too quickly. I am not dieting. Just making better decisions about what I eat and cutting out the bad stuff (soda & dessert :mad: ).

Good luck to everyone else on your journey too!

Replies

• precious2012
    precious2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    am also breastfeeding :bigsmile:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Hello and welcome. This is a great site and has helped my a lot. I love Jillan's DVD's I am also a mother of two and wish you all the luck :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I breastfed my two babies for over two years each.... my youngest just weant at 2.5 years. I managed to lose 40 lbs while nursing to get to my goal weight. I've been maintaining since August.

Look up weight loss while breastfeeding on LLL and on Kellymom to get some specifics, but you shouldn't try to lose more then a pount a week while nursing. Usually you don't want to go under 1800-ish calories, depending upon how much you nurse your baby. Stay hydrated, and keep an eye on your supply.

Good luck!
    ~maddymama
  • Mrs_Me
    Mrs_Me Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mother of three and I still nurse my 12 months old. I have only just started dieting but I figure it's fine since my baby more or less eats and drinks the same as her older siblings (3 and 5) now and I work full time during the day anyway. I always weigh-in after I feed her though.

Feel free to add me! : )
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    hi i am a nursing mom of a 7 month old. i get an extra 300 calories a day for nursing an older baby who eats other foods. i am at 1500 calories a day and it has been working fine for me. i think at this point your milk is pretty much established so you shouldnt have any issues with your supply. i know mine has been fine.
  • wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    In the same boat as you. I am still nursing my baby and she is 10 months old. I am a full time working mama so if I am not nursing, I am pumping! I have about 10 lbs to go where I will be happy though I have been slimmer than that. 15lbs was my original goal and I have lost about 3 lbs since Jan beginning. Not a lot, but I think the last 10 are the most stubborn ones.

My supply is being compromised a little bit but I am not sure if its because of watching my diet (I am still eating betweek 1600-1900 calires) though I work out pretty hard 3-4 times a week. It could also be the result of working FT and pumping vs. the baby drinking directly.

My suggestion to you would be to watch your caloric intake but do not go under 1800. Also, eat a lot of protein to maintain you supply.

Good luck and welcome! Feel free to add me if you want.
  • nryther
    nryther Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm a nursing Mom of a 6months old. I also have a 5 five year old. So far my milk supply has been fine. It's nice to see that there are other nursing moms who are working out and trying to eat right!:smile:

Feel free to add me to!
  • lmg10123
    lmg10123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am a new mom of a sweet 6 week old girl. Unfortunately I am not able to breastfeed,,, my LO was losing too much weight. When I was told to supplement, my baby stopped wanting to nurse and I was unable to pump sufficiently as my supply dropped quickly. Since I no longer have to worry about maintaining a higher calorie rate for the breastfeeding I decided to try out this app. I've only been using it for a few days and already feel better about myself. I can't wait to weigh in next week.

In any case I would love for any of you fellow mommy's to add me as a friend so we can do this together!!!
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    hi i am a nursing mom of a 7 month old. i get an extra 300 calories a day for nursing an older baby who eats other foods. i am at 1500 calories a day and it has been working fine for me. i think at this point your milk is pretty much established so you shouldnt have any issues with your supply. i know mine has been fine.

I am also trying to stay around 1500/day also. I have never tracked calories before so the food journal on here was definitely an eye opener! It has really made me more away of what I am eating and servings.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i agree!!!

I am also trying to stay around 1500/day also. I have never tracked calories before so the food journal on here was definitely an eye opener! It has really made me more away of what I am eating and servings.
  • Rachel122810
    Rachel122810 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I breastfed until my baby was 6 months. When I stopped the pounds packed back on now that she is 13 months I am still trying to get rid of all the baby weight!! Good luck!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose the last 10lbs until I weaned my son. It's weird because I lost all the weight and a couple more pounds while breast feeding my daughter, so I thought it would be the same the second time around. But it wasn't.

You are off to a great start. Good luck on your journey.
  • joabe
    joabe Posts: 6
    Options
    I didn't lose the last 10lbs until I weaned my son. It's weird because I lost all the weight and a couple more pounds while breast feeding my daughter, so I thought it would be the same the second time around. But it wasn't.

You are off to a great start. Good luck on your journey.

Funny, I had the baby weight come off so easily with my daughter as well and this time around, with my son, I have had to really work at it. I thought the same thing that it would come off easily, and it hasn't... not so easy the second time.

He is 3 months old now, still BF in the mornings and late night when he wakes up and pumping while I'm at work. Supplementing with formula though.... I have never been able to pump enough, even with my first. I am working out 5 days a week and watching my diet. I have 11 more pounds to lose... my milk supply hasn't changed.