Clean Eating and Detox

Options
I am considering doing some sort of detox and clean eating regime to help clear out my sugar and salt cravings. I have a terrible time with my cravings and would be more than happy to crave fruit as a sugar instead of ice cream
Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Any suggestions on how to start or a program to follow?

Thank you,
Kristine

Replies

• lakebreezewi
    lakebreezewi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done the Isagenix nutrtional cleanse and love it. I khow a couple of great coaches and can refer you to someone if you'd like, you'll get your best results with a cleanse coach.
    Good Luck
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Clean and Lean Diet...not a 'diet' persay but change in lifestyle, absolutely amazing. No mumbo jumbo or atkins or what have you, very logical basics - no sugar, good, healthy, nature-intended foods and very satisfying!
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I have done a raw detox twice for 7 days each time. In my case it didn't help with the cravings. I did feel really good after I did it, I slept incredibly well, and my belly bloat was reduced A LOT!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to "detox"? The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "cleanse" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't know about detox, but I can say that I remember when I decided to stop eating junk and start eating healthy I felt more alert and energetic and just generally better. That was all the incentive I needed and I started picking out healthy foods amongst unhealthy out of unconscious choice.

Make it a conscious effort at first and your body will soon respond to how much better it makes you feel.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am in the process of doing the Advocare 24 day challenge and I feel GREAT. I have so much more energy and have noticed I feel stronger and healthie. I am only at the beginning of it but it can only get better from here!

It is pricey - and there is a plan to follow very closely - but it is all spelled out for you. I have a ton of friends that have done it and look and feel AMAZING.

let me know if you want more info, good luck :)
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I just read Tosca Reno's Clean Eating Recharged and have been following it for about 3 weeks...trust me...you will not need a detox if you are eating right -lol...it really is just eating foods as close to their natural source and non-processed foods-I can't tell you how much better I feel and my clothes are getting looser!
  • Kalbright79
    Options
    I've done the Isagenix nutrtional cleanse and love it. I khow a couple of great coaches and can refer you to someone if you'd like, you'll get your best results with a cleanse coach.
    Good Luck

I would like to know more about this! :)
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever done it, but just read an article about cleansing and detox last night and urge you to be careful. They say sometimes doing these types of things can strip the body of electrolytes and nutrients and be harmful. I never did a detox, but started cutting things out slowly. If you want ice cream, eat fruit instead and i would put money on it that a half hour later, you don't want ice cream anymore ;) The longer you can do the switch, the less you will want the ice cream later.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever done it, but just read an article about cleansing and detox last night and urge you to be careful. They say sometimes doing these types of things can strip the body of electrolytes and nutrients and be harmful. I never did a detox, but started cutting things out slowly. If you want ice cream, eat fruit instead and i would put money on it that a half hour later, you don't want ice cream anymore ;) The longer you can do the switch, the less you will want the ice cream later.

This exactly!

Just drink lots of water, cut out the sodas/processed foods/etc...eat as clean as possible and tada, you'll body will "cleanse" itself.

It goes back to that saying "You are what you eat"....
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I basically just watch a lot of movies and read a bunch of reports on organic foods vs. processed crap.

Check out Food Inc., Fast Food Nation, and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead for starters :flowerforyou:

I picked up a few magazines and books to help with recipes, too.

Clean Eating magazine, and anything by Tosca Reno are great reads!

I've been trying to eat "clean" for about a year now. I rarely have any cravings for anything processed, sweet or salty. I can't even remember the last time I had ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Try adjusting your sugar and sodium goals manually on your diary. I have my sodium set to 1600mg and don't go over that too often. As with sugar intake, don't worry too much if the sugars in fruits send you over your goal

Lots of water! Sweeten it with frozen fruit, fresh mint or lemons if you wish. If you own a juicer, making your own juice is a great place to start, too!

Best of luck with everything!!
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    I've just done Natures Sunshine - Healthy Starter Pack+ and I thought it was brilliant. Not a fan of these things but its a normal healthy diet cutting out sugar, white carbs, alcohol, caffine and red meat. Easy to follow, few headaches on the first couple of days but that was caffine withdrawal!!

Good luck with your choice, you'll do great :-)

Edited to say - they recommend organic food and NO e numbers/artificial colours/flavours
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Nice to see the multi-level-marketers pop up, as usual. Right on cue, smelling blood int he water. :grumble:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you eat well you will feel well. Save your money, and sanity by not doing a detox. Check out this website for whole nutritious recipes. http://www.cleaneatingmag.com
    Plan your meals at the beginning of the week and shop for just those items. If you don't have junk and temptations around you won't want them.
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I have done a raw detox twice for 7 days each time. In my case it didn't help with the cravings. I did feel really good after I did it, I slept incredibly well, and my belly bloat was reduced A LOT!

What did you do/eat on this detox?
  • Miatta81
    Options
    Please believe me because I have done it all. A lot of "cleansing"! It does not help other than help you lose weight which is mostly water and which you gain back immediately and then some. Like others have stated, the body takes care of itself. There is no quick fixes, however tempting it may be. Want to stop craving sugar? Then stop eating sugar. I know it sounds easier than done but that is the only answer. Start by limiting your sugar intake little by little. When I was told this years ago I did not listen and one of the cleases I did only made me to gain twice the weight I lost months later. Don't fool yourself by saying the cleanse is only for the cravings, most people do it for the "weight loss" benefits but it's not a long term strategy. It can be very frustrating, especially if you want to see results, but living healthy and reaching your "reasonable goal weight" will cost some time and energy but believe me, in the long run you will be so much happier! Please do not do this cleanse or any other wonder cleanse and instead research on how to eat what you like but healthier versions of it and less portions. Good luck! Did not mean to sound preachy.
  • krkoch1983
    krkoch1983 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you eat well you will feel well. Save your money, and sanity by not doing a detox. Check out this website for whole nutritious recipes. http://www.cleaneatingmag.com
    Plan your meals at the beginning of the week and shop for just those items. If you don't have junk and temptations around you won't want them.

This was very helpful. I really liked this website. It had a lot of helpful information to help me on my way to becoming a healthier me. Again, thank you.
  • ajclemons5
    Options
    I recently did a 4 day cleanse and loved it. My very fit/healthy yoga instructor suggested it so I figured it would be a huge challenge...it really wasn't that difficult. Here's the basic plan:
    1. veggies - as many as you like prepared how you like (raw, steamed, baked, frozen, etc)
    2. fruits - as many as you like prepared how you like (raw, steamed, baked, frozen, etc)
    3. lean meat - 3 fist size portions per day
    4. water, water, water (hot tea, water, water with lemon, etc)

The most difficult part was not having coffee in the morning, but hot tea was a great replacement. Since i did the cleanse, I have continued this healthy eating plan. However, I added whole grains and dairy back to my diet as I don't have any gluten or lactose "issues". Good luck!