Feedback on Coconut Oil?

Options
Anyone have any opinions on the health and metabolic benefits of a regular intake of 100% organic coconut oil, no additives or fillers- no sugars etc? I've heard pretty good reviews from friends and doctors but would like to hear from more people regarding the topic :) cheers to a happy & healthy you.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's saturated fat, so it's a mixed bag. It does have some health benefits, but being a saturated fat, it still helps contribute to atherosclerosis. So, it's ok in moderation, but I wouldn't take it just to take it.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola recommends it, here are several articles:

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=coconut oil
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I hear it's a good oil to fry in, but there's nothing in it that makes me want to take it as a supplement.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I hated the stuff. And it gave two members of my family painful rashes upon, um, exit - if you know what I mean. We couldn't figure out what on earth had caused it, until we finally dug up some information that coconut oil can do that.

It isn't worth the hype, in my opinion.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I take it and love it. Half of the fats in coco oil are medium chain triglycerides, as opposed to the standard long chain variety. Unlike longer chain fats, MCTs go the liver and are available for use far more rapidly by other tissue. In addition, MCTs are preferentially used to produce ketone bodies which can be used instead of glucose, amino acids or fatty acids by most tissues of the body. In some studies this has a protein sparing effect and this is especially true in the initial periods on a low-calorie low-carbohydrate diet.
  • miseryhead75
    miseryhead75 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I cook in it. Mind you, I don't use any more than I would regular oil (can be expensive!), or butter, but I have found that it has helped with weight loss and my extremely dry skin. Read up, see if it may benefit you! I think it's wonderful!
  • Jay0hwhy
    Options
    I have a teaspoon for breakfast toasted on a half of slice of bread. It's yummy. i'm not sure whether it really has had any benefits, but i can say that when i have it for breakfast I stay fuller longer and it hasnt harmed me in any way..
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When you cook with it does the food taste like coconut? That would be a good thing for some dishes and not so good for others. I Like to use sesame oil for Chinese stir-frys because of the flavor
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil and use it whenever possible. I also give it to my dog as a supplement (along with salmon oil). He's also had skin allergy problems for the last couple years, but last summer I started rubbing coconut oil onto his belly and he hasn't had a single skin issue since then.
  • miseryhead75
    miseryhead75 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When you cook with it does the food taste like coconut? That would be a good thing for some dishes and not so good for others. I Like to use sesame oil for Chinese stir-frys because of the flavor
    \\

Different brands are more coconutty than others, however, the Spectrum Organics brands seems to have no taste. I used Nutiva tonight, which smells REALLY coconutty, however, my food didn't taste like coconut. It was heavily seasoned meat though!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

You can get the refined kind and it has almost no coconut smell or flavor. Its kind of like light colored olive oil, not much flavor.

Also, I love coconut oil. Its filling, yummy, and great for frying because of its higher smoke point.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola recommends it, here are several articles:

http://search.mercola.com/search/Pages/results.aspx?k=coconut oil
    To be fair, if Mercola likes it, that's a pretty good indication that it should be avoided.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use expeller pressed coconut oil which isn't strongly coconut flavored. It's also available as plain and extra virgin ... as with olive oil, get either extra virgin or expeller pressed. I cook with it regularly.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have heart disease. Cardiologist told me not to use it. He said triglycerides are triglycerides and the saturated fat would be dangerous to me. He also said the numerous health claims -- weight loss, cure for diabetes, etc.-- are all nonsense.

Use coconut oil if you wish, but I'm staying away from it. I'd like to stick around for a while.
  • PaulS70
    Options
    I have heart disease. Cardiologist told me not to use it. He said triglycerides are triglycerides and the saturated fat would be dangerous to me. He also said the numerous health claims -- weight loss, cure for diabetes, etc.-- are all nonsense.

Use coconut oil if you wish, but I'm staying away from it. I'd like to stick around for a while.

Sounds like your cardiologist still thinks its 1988. Coconut oil will not hurt you and is very good for cooking.
  • runnerwithin
    Options
    I take it and love it. Half of the fats in coco oil are medium chain triglycerides, as opposed to the standard long chain variety. Unlike longer chain fats, MCTs go the liver and are available for use far more rapidly by other tissue. In addition, MCTs are preferentially used to produce ketone bodies which can be used instead of glucose, amino acids or fatty acids by most tissues of the body. In some studies this has a protein sparing effect and this is especially true in the initial periods on a low-calorie low-carbohydrate diet.
    that is exactly why,even though it IS a saturated fat it one of the best ones out there. And use it when i cook and love that is has such a light flavor and doesn't leave an oily texture.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like to cook my popcorn in it and will use it for moisturizing lotion on my body (not face) and even used it as a sunblock for my kids. It worked for my purposes, but I live in AK. I wouldn't reccommend it for hard sun climates though and certainly wouldn't go nuts with it in my diet. Moderation my friend. Moderation.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Sounds like your cardiologist still thinks its 1988. Coconut oil will not hurt you and is very good for cooking.

Forgive me for saying so, but I trust his advice over yours. He is pre-eminent in his field, so I'm sure he keeps up with the latest in medicine.

Like I said, if you want to use coconut oil, go ahead. I'm just posting what my doctor told me.
  • DelilahFreeman
    DelilahFreeman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am losing weight currently and I'm nervous about doing anything differently for fear that it is going to throw a wrench in my weight loss. Hard to go for something when there are so many mixed reviews, I am not very adventurous! LOL
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. It is the main oil used in our house with hemp oil being second. I buy Nutiva brand and order it from Amazon. I am not able to have dairy because of food allergies and Nutiva makes a great butter substitute Coconut Manna (just organic coconut).