RECIPE help

Options
WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR RECIPE ON HERE ( WHICH I THINK IS A GREAT TOOL), HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY SERVINGS IT SERVES???

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I enter in the serving size I determine how many I could feed. I.E. we made enchilladas the other day and we made enough to feed 9 so that would be the serving size. Or when we make Tator Tot Hotdish (we make it in a 9x9) it makes enough for about 6 and so that is the serving size. Hope that helps...
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You can always do it by whatever your meat source is (if you are using meat). So if the package of chicken you are using serves 5, then it serves 5. If that helps. I tend to guess and then go back and redo things. Esp for things like chili, I try to stick to the 1 cup serving size for those.
  • melissaw04
    Options
    When I enter in the serving size I determine how many I could feed. I.E. we made enchilladas the other day and we made enough to feed 9 so that would be the serving size. Or when we make Tator Tot Hotdish (we make it in a 9x9) it makes enough for about 6 and so that is the serving size. Hope that helps...

YOU SAIDYOU DETERMINE HOW MANY YOU CAN FEED ~ BUT FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU MADE 9 ENCHILADAS, DOES THAT MEAN EVERYONE GETS 1 EACH?
  • Swanson83
    Options
    Nope, we love enchilladas at our house so we each get 2. So we made 18.
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Or when we make Tator Tot Hotdish (we make it in a 9x9) it makes enough for about 6 and so that is the serving size. Hope that helps...

Tator Tot Hotdish - this sounds so yummy would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • melissaw04
    Options
    Or when we make Tator Tot Hotdish (we make it in a 9x9) it makes enough for about 6 and so that is the serving size. Hope that helps...

Tator Tot Hotdish - this sounds so yummy would you mind sharing the recipe?

MAKES ENOUGH FOR 6 ~ BUT IS THAT 1 SCOOP EACH, HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT PAN FEEDS 6 PEOPLE? WHAT IF EVERYONE WANTS 2 SCOOPS, WOULD THAT PAN THEN FEED 3 PEOPLE? ( FOR EXAMPLE)
  • melissaw04
    Options

SO THE CAL COUNT THEY GIVE YOU WOULD BE FOR 2 ENCHILADAS?
  • Swanson83
    Options
    Exactly...
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    when i did a recipe it asked me how many it served, from there it told me how much calories a serving was. ok so i made a pasta salad with all the veggie fixings in a big ol bowl. I then put in it served 20 and from there it said each serving was 120 calories. so if i scooped out 20 -3/4 cups andi had left over then the serving size might have been one cup. that's how i figured it anyway. a bit of extra work but then i know when i make it again.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

if that's what you ask it to do. it just takes whatever the whole cal count of the dish is, then divides it into however many portions you say so. if you say something serves 6, and cut it into 6ths, but then have two servings, just put in your diary that you had two servings. OR you could sya that it served 3. whatever makes more sense to you.

also, please turn your caps lock off. it feels like you're yelling at me, and i don't like that. thanks!
  • melissaw04
    Options

if that's what you ask it to do. it just takes whatever the whole cal count of the dish is, then divides it into however many portions you say so. if you say something serves 6, and cut it into 6ths, but then have two servings, just put in your diary that you had two servings. OR you could sya that it served 3. whatever makes more sense to you.

also, please turn your caps lock off. it feels like you're yelling at me, and i don't like that. thanks!

Thanks ~ LOL .. I am not yelling it was on and i did not realize...
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    some things are a lot easier to figure out than others. When it is in a big pot. Like chili, spaghetti sauce, soup, etc. I really just have to guess. I will ask my husband what he thinks, but he will say 25 when I am more at 15. lol. So, who knows! I try to figure it out on a 1 cup basis, but I still have no idea how many cups are in there.
    (edited to add)
    When I make meatballs for example I figure it out with 1 meatball. That way I can just add them one at a time and know what I am getting. Or if I go back for seconds it is easy to add to my diary, since I wouldn't really be eating a full portion. Hope that makes since.
  • positivelylisa
    positivelylisa Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For things like soup, I'll scoop it out into a storage container (or multiple storage containers) and count how many of the size servings I want it to be are there. If a casserole, like someone mentioned the hotdish...I 'score' the casserole with a knife and then we do our best to stay in the score marks.