What you REALLY burn????

Options
I need help. I am not sure how to tell, or if you can tell, what you are REALLY burning when you are exercising. I know what MFP SAYS I have burned doing certin activites, but how do I know that I REALLY have done that???

Is there a way to tell or to figure this out?

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will do the trick.
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    a HRM is prob your best way to go, but even then nothing is exact really.
  • glowbuggy
    glowbuggy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    a heart rate montior? really? thanks!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    No matter what you use, it will only be an estimation.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    There really isn't a practical way. You are better off underestimating calories burned than overestimating.

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/scientist-measure-calories-burned
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Heart rate monitor. I find that MFP is pretty accurate for me, but to know exactly you should invest in a good heart rate monitor.
  • scoobydoojoe
    scoobydoojoe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Knowing your heart rate is elevated into cardio range is key to knowing you really are burning the calories. I don't have a heart rate monitor yet, but I do only use machines that measure the heart rate and know my weight when calculating calories worked for me.
  • glowbuggy
    Options
    I really want it for weeks like this one and the next where I am sooo busy with all my cake pop orders that I dont have time to workout. MFP SAYS I am doing some Major calorie burn but I am cutting my time that I am baking in half because I just dont feel like I am burning anything. So I was thinking that maybe there was a way to tell.

I am looking into a HRM as a birthday gift :flowerforyou: then i might be able to see how much, if any, that I am burning while doing my orders.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM (Polar FT40) but MFP calories are surprisingly accurate too!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    then i might be able to see how much, if any, that I am burning while doing my orders.

I'm not sure what exactly this means, but HRMs assume a higher than normal oxygen exchange as the basis for their calculations. If you are not meeting that assumption, your numbers will likely be WAY off.

And as others have said, HRMs are still just an estimation.
  • glowbuggy
    Options
    then i might be able to see how much, if any, that I am burning while doing my orders.

I'm not sure what exactly this means, but HRMs assume a higher than normal oxygen exchange as the basis for their calculations. If you are not meeting that assumption, your numbers will likely be WAY off.

And as others have said, HRMs are still just an estimation.

I bake for my "job" its a side biz type of thing so that is what I mean by "while doing my orders" like mixing, baking, molding, coloring, dipping, displaying, etc, that sort of stuff. I am not even sure if I am even burning anything sometimes...