Should I add calories burned from walking at work?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if I should use my ipod as a pedometer at work and add that as calories burned? I know it asked me at the beginning how active I was as a person, but does that mean they guesstimate how many calories I burn on a regular day? I'm on my feet all day long moving about, should I count that as a form of exercise? Thank you!

Replies

• 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    If it is something you do every day and have always done every day, don't count them.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not. I only log extra exercise. You have always walked around shopping or at work .. it's additional exercise that matters. My two cents.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If you do this daily, change your settings to "lightly active". It will account for the extra physical activity :D
  • lisarz1963
    lisarz1963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing...I walk an average of 9 to 13 miles a day and burn up to 8000 calories...so far what I've done is just list how many calories burned in an hours time. I have one of those watches that tracks heart rate and calories burned.
  • dottiemarie
    Options
    I don't count those either... They are somehow factored in to your settings... A question that asks how active you are on a daily basis usually.
  • ondogirl
    ondogirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I used to log my exercise at work when I first started doing it. It's a nice walk from the metro to my office and I do this every weekday (30 minute walk round-trip). I don't anymore because it is just a regular part of my day now, meaning I do it regardless and not really for exercise. I only log if I do take a walk during my lunch break as well (which I really need to do more often). I also do not have an HRM or pedometer, so...
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have been asking myself the same question and am thinking about getting a pedometer; a few of us at work have been trying to take as many extra steps walking to and from tasks in the office to burn more calories - I think you should count them every kind of activity counts :) Good luck!!
  • jamielyn1369
    jamielyn1369 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't personally add my calories (I am a trauma nurse at a busy trauma hospital)... but I will tell you that MFP doesn't account very well for what your activity is. I have been wearing a bodybugg for 3 months now and my caloric intake is consistantly at a 1200-1400 deficit. So I just use MFP as my food diary (their diary is so much better than Bodymedia.com's diary database) and I enter all my info into the bodybugg. It's way more accurate for my daily caloric burn. Good luck.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing...I walk an average of 9 to 13 miles a day and burn up to 8000 calories...so far what I've done is just list how many calories burned in an hours time. I have one of those watches that tracks heart rate and calories burned.

you burn 8000 cals a day? so are you eating a minimum of 9200 cals a day?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to how active you are x