Just a Theory: Diet Soda

I was just reading this article from Men's Health. I'm just sharing the article and link but I'm not going to participate in the thread, since I know there are mixed feelings about this topic, and like I wrote in the subject and it is said in the article, it is a theory.

The full article can be read using the link at the end of this post. I didn't post the whole thing here because within the article there are other links in case you want to read them too.

Another Strike Against Diet Soda

If you’ve been looking for a reason to nix your soda-drinking habits, the latest research may offer you the perfect inspiration.

Drinking a single can of diet soda each day can increase your risk of having a heart attack or stroke, reports a recent study published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

The researchers monitored the soda-drinking habits of more than 2,500 individuals and compared them with the number of vascular events—heart attacks and strokes—that occurred over a 10-year period. After factoring in pre-existing conditions—diabetes, high blood pressure, BMI, and others—they found that those who were downing diet drinks on a daily basis were 43 percent more likely to experience a vascular event than those who drank none. But people who drank anywhere between 6 diet sodas per week and 1 diet soda per month had the same risk as people who never drank soda.

http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-heart-disease/2012/02/08/

Replies

• alliebaba27
    alliebaba27 Posts: 4 Member
    Funny, my dad and I were just talking about the perils of diet soda earlier today. That stuff is not good for your body!
  • MrsWife2011
    MrsWife2011 Posts: 28 Member
    I recently quite drinking diet soda, this will me stick to it. Thanks for sharing.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Is this another one of those correlation as causation thingies?
  • lowlevelrebel
    lowlevelrebel Posts: 75 Member
    very interesting. So drinking 6 a week or drinking none at all lead to the same level of vascular health?

Man.. no more pop on Sundays for me ;)
  • One of my major goals for 2012 was giving up diet soda. Used to drink at least 2-liters of Diet Mt. Dew a day.

I don't miss it what so ever!