1200 calorie diet and exercise.

Options
I have seen a lot of contorversy on people being a 1200 calorie diet and exercising; some people say that you must make up the extra calories you loose when you exercise. But whats the point? I was confused on this topic to so i asked my doctor and she said you just need the nourishment from the 1200 calories but you do NOT need to make up the calories that are burned during your work out.

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's different for each person. Personally unless you're already tiny I think 1200 is too low for anyone to eat. If you eat your 1200 calories a day and do a workout which causes you to burn 300 you're body is only getting 900 to run. I spoke with my Dr when I first started here and was told to not eat below BMR. ... that includes making up for calories burned through exercise.
  • EricaTeach
    Options
    Ok, I've been thinking about this and kind of confused. My goal is 1200 cal too and I'm not sure how to go about this. Should I eat above that and then work out a lot to burn off the amount I go over? Eating just 1200 cal and then working out on top of that doesn't sound right. I wouldn't say I'm tiny, I have an average body with excess :) I just need to loose one pant size and tone up.
  • brh1029
    brh1029 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been below 1200 several days and feel I am overeating to get to 1200
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    Ok, i was confused with this topic as well but now im even more confused after finding out my BMR. My BMR is set to 1,422 calories .. so why did MFP set my daily calories to 1,200. if i am supose to eat all my BMR why wouldnt that be my daily calorie intake vs. the 1,200?
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i don't sweat it too much. If i'm hungry i will eat, if not, i know i will be hungry the next day.

But I usually count my calories for the week. Gives me a little more leeway when eating.

Your body will tell you if you need to eat more. And by this your body will tell you it's HUNGRY!

if your energy is up and your not hungry, don't force yourself to eat.

just my opinion
  • iGlad
    iGlad Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1400 per day and work out about 5x per day burning about 800 via Herat rate monitor not the machine monitor .. As long as the weight is coming off then whcih it is then I'm happy.. If you wake up hungry then you need to eat more!!
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to 1200, but unless I am having a rest day, it's really, really hard for me to not eat at least 1400. In fact, I almost passed out a few days ago when I went to the gym in the morning after a net calorie day of around 600-700. It scared me a lot- I ate a lot more that day, took lots of water, and took it easy. Now I take a protein bar to the gym with me just in case, and am not hard on myself if I go a little over. I'm very out of shape, so to ask myself to burn 600-800 cal a day in exercise and only eat 1200 is crazy. It's different for everyone, just don't be too hard on yourself, and remember the point is to become increasingly healthy, not just to decrease weight.
  • vanessabs
    vanessabs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if 1200 calories is a realistic daily goal for an average size person. I have been doing 1200 calories for 3 weeks now. I do not feel like I have lost as much weight as I should have (2 pounds). I work out 3-4 times a week (35-45 minutes cardio plus weights) and have been for 5 months so it is not like I am suddenly building muscle. I have heard that if you do not eat enough your body will burn muscle instead of fat thus you will not lose weight. I don't have trouble eating only 1200 calories and I'm not starving, I just think I should be seeing better results. Should I actually increase my calories a couple hundred? Any opinions?
  • Loserbabe2012
    Options
    I feel like im over eating to get 1400
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Funny how everyone has a different story of what to do and what not to do. According to the literature from my doctor's office, the total calories burned in a day (BMR, exercise, normal activities) needs to be higher than the number you ingest to lose weight. If you go more than 20% below that level, you need to be under a doctor's care. It's a lot of math, but basically, 1200 calories isn't enough food for most active people. If you live a completely sedentary lifestyle, then it's fine. But if you exercise at all, you most likely need more in the long run.
    You always have to listen to your body. It will tell you what you can and cannot do.
  • AdrienneB33
    AdrienneB33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I saw a nutritionist a few months ago I was told that I should aim for 1,500-1,600 a day (this is with a weight loss goal in mind) but that anything lower than that wasn't enough to be eating and she thought that it would be negatively affecting my weight loss.

I have started trying to follow the South Beach Diet and although they don't have a counting calories mentality in their diet, they do encourage you to eat about 1,500-1,600 calories a day as well as a min as well.

Recently however with some things that have been going on I have been a bit off kilter with my diet plan so I've been logging calories and not always meeting my calorie goals and not 100% on the SBD and my losses haven't been what I wanted them to be.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of contorversy on people being a 1200 calorie diet and exercising; some people say that you must make up the extra calories you loose when you exercise. But whats the point? I was confused on this topic to so i asked my doctor and she said you just need the nourishment from the 1200 calories but you do NOT need to make up the calories that are burned during your work out.

The point is fueling your body.
    The point is maintaining muscle.
    The point is many people will struggle on 1200 calories and the simple act of eating some exercise calories back may be the difference between failing and succeeding at weight loss even if it means going it a little slower.
    The point is MFP is not set up to take into account exercise. When a nutritionist figures out you calorie intake, they account for your base rate (the amount of calories you need just to survive), your day activity (ie your job and other day to day stuff) and how active you plan to be (ie how much you will exercise). They already account for your exercise so if you are going by their number, you don't eat back your exercise calories because it is already accounted for. MFP is set up differently , it only takes Ito account your base and your daily activity, no exercise, which is why it says to eat them back. I wonder if your doctor is aware of the difference in the two formulas.
  • mandykins18
    Options
    It does depend on the person; but an average size person. (im 5"9 168 lbs) can work out and eat 1200 calories a day. Your body just needs to absorb the nutrition from the food but exersice and lowering your calorie intake is fine. How i would decide if this is for me or not is try a couple days eating 1200 calories and exerice if you feel fine then im sure it is okay for your body. If you find yourself feeling light headed or irritable then i would eat the calories that you burn. And dont hesitate to ask your doctor any questions.
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Funny! This is exactly what I asked yesterday. My doc says eat less move more.
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    I'm currently doing 1200cal and running off like 300-400 a day. sometimes I eat back, sometimes I eat less. seems to be working for me okay. Although I do feel like I could easily binge any second I'm pretty good at holding myself in line ^_^
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

The point is fueling your body.
    The point is maintaining muscle.
    The point is many people will struggle on 1200 calories and the simple act of eating some exercise calories back may be the difference between failing and succeeding at weight loss even if it means going it a little slower.
    The point is MFP is not set up to take into account exercise. When a nutritionist figures out you calorie intake, they account for your base rate (the amount of calories you need just to survive), your day activity (ie your job and other day to day stuff) and how active you plan to be (ie how much you will exercise). They already account for your exercise so if you are going by their number, you don't eat back your exercise calories because it is already accounted for. MFP is set up differently , it only takes Ito account your base and your daily activity, no exercise, which is why it says to eat them back. I wonder if your doctor is aware of the difference in the two formulas.

^^ This
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I actually had a similar problem when I first started working out and joined a gym. I joined mfp and after a month I had only lost 5 lbs. The best info I got was to lose weight you need to do cardio 5-6 days a week, to maintian you need to work out 3-4 days a week. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but once I started doing cardio 6 days a week I really started to see the weight come off. Just a suggestion.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Funny how everyone has a different story of what to do and what not to do. According to the literature from my doctor's office, the total calories burned in a day (BMR, exercise, normal activities) needs to be higher than the number you ingest to lose weight. If you go more than 20% below that level, you need to be under a doctor's care. It's a lot of math, but basically, 1200 calories isn't enough food for most active people. If you live a completely sedentary lifestyle, then it's fine. But if you exercise at all, you most likely need more in the long run.
    You always have to listen to your body. It will tell you what you can and cannot do.

I totally agree with this......
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It does depend on the person; but an average size person. (im 5"9 168 lbs) can work out and eat 1200 calories a day. Your body just needs to absorb the nutrition from the food but exersice and lowering your calorie intake is fine. How i would decide if this is for me or not is try a couple days eating 1200 calories and exerice if you feel fine then im sure it is okay for your body. If you find yourself feeling light headed or irritable then i would eat the calories that you burn. And dont hesitate to ask your doctor any questions.

Except that at 5'9 and 168 lbs and 18 years old your BMR is over 1600. That is your base rate, just what your body uses to survive, without day to day activity, without exercise. So if you are eating less than that, you aren't even eating enough to fuel your body properly, let alone your day to day activities and your exercise.
    Lowering your calorie intake is fine. Eating lower than your BMR is not recommended.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options

You should not go below 1200 calories, so if you are exercising and burning up 300 calories. You should be eating at a 1500 calorie level. If you eat below that level, you are consuming less than 1200, which could reduce your BMR and stop the weight loss.