1200 calorie diet and exercise.

Options
2»

Replies

• tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i don't sweat it too much. If i'm hungry i will eat, if not, i know i will be hungry the next day.

But I usually count my calories for the week. Gives me a little more leeway when eating.

Your body will tell you if you need to eat more. And by this your body will tell you it's HUNGRY!

if your energy is up and your not hungry, don't force yourself to eat.

just my opinion

I guess I'm considered tiny now...but I completely agree with this, I hardly ever come close to my 1200 cal., most of the time eating 900 cal. I am not forcing myself to starve, I just eat all I can and stop when I'm full...If I workout of course my body will ask for more and I eat more. I don't however believe you should make a habit of going over what MFP sets as limits (they are there for a reason). So with working out 1200cal and add a few cals in if you get hungry, after a workout!

*I have done this method from Feb 2011-till now and kept all my weight off (lost all of my weight feb-aug, and went on a cruise). You do what your body wants! I realize this will not be the case for a person with a lot more weight to lose.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been below 1200 several days and feel I am overeating to get to 1200

How??? I mean I can do under 1200 but it's HARD!!! How are you overeating to get to 1200? I'm not criticizing, haha I really want to know!!!
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have been below 1200 several days and feel I am overeating to get to 1200

How??? I mean I can do under 1200 but it's HARD!!! How are you overeating to get to 1200? I'm not criticizing, haha I really want to know!!!

add me and look at my food diary.
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump. i have been wondering this myself. shouldnt it be your bmr plous 1200 calories minus bmrequals calorie deficit? every 3500 calories is equal to losing one pound so.....
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    and then minus exercise. sorry
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    bump. i have been wondering this myself. shouldnt it be your bmr plous 1200 calories minus bmrequals calorie deficit? every 3500 calories is equal to losing one pound so.....

I am not exactly sure what you mean.

It should be your BMR + your daily activity = TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Both numbers can vary. Your BMR depends on your sex, height, weight, etc.
    TDEE - 500 calories = your daily calories goal for a weight loss of 1lb a week, as you point out 3500 calories = 1lb, 7x500=3500

The problem is, MFP doesn't account for exercise in the TDEE, other formulas do. So if you use MFP numbers, you need to account for exercise as well.
  • loveharmonybeauty
    Options
    I just became a member of this website and began 1200/day and feel I am starving. Likely I can get down to it soon. I can't imagine exercising without more food. I am 5.10, big boned girl ;)
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When I joined I read heaps about this and different people say different things.
    My understanding is that you should have 1200 net - so if you eat 1200, then exercise 300, then you should eat 300.

But this is what I plan to do:
    To lose 2 pounds per week MFP told me to eat 1200, but to lose 1 pound per week it told me to eat 1500, which is also my BMR.
    So, my eating calories are set at 1200, but in reality I am aiming to eat no less than 1200, but no more than 1500 (not taking into account my exercise calories). Giving myself this range means that some days I eat more and some days I eat less depending on how hungry I am.
    I am then ignoring exercise calories, because I usually burn around 300-400 per workout, and at the end of the week my plan is to get my weekly summary and see what my average net calories per day are - and they should be closer to 1200 calories.

I want to lose weight, but I've been struggling to stick to the diet when I have to eat an exact amount of calories each day, because some days I want to eat less - and I would force myself to eat more to meet the calorie requirements - and then other days I would go over and feel guilty about it. This would happen whether I was at 1200 or 1500. I think it's easier when there is a range because then on days when you are less hungry it doesnt matter if you are lower in the range and days when you are more hungry you can eat more knowing that as long as you stay within the range it is ok. I plan my meals in advance to be 1200 so that if I am still hungry I have a 300cal buffer - which is quite a lot if you use it wisely.

Keep in mind I'm no pro, and started trying out this method two days ago so no idea whether or not it works! Haha.
    If anyone eating approx 1200 calories (healthily) wants to add me I'd be happy to accept - filling, healthy, low calorie meal ideas would help me heaps!
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1400 per day and work out about 5x per day burning about 800 via Herat rate monitor not the machine monitor .. As long as the weight is coming off then whcih it is then I'm happy.. If you wake up hungry then you need to eat more!!

I definitely agree with this. At the end of the day, its about how you feel and if your losing weight it is working. Keep up the healthy lifestyle, cause it sure beats you eating 5 big macs a day.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Ok, i was confused with this topic as well but now im even more confused after finding out my BMR. My BMR is set to 1,422 calories .. so why did MFP set my daily calories to 1,200. if i am supose to eat all my BMR why wouldnt that be my daily calorie intake vs. the 1,200?

You probably put that you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week so MFP takes 1000 calorie cut, but won't set you lower than 1200.