This struck me today... thought I'd share

Options
radosti1
radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
Took my 2 year old to the pediatrician again since we have not slept in over 3 weeks. Literally, we've not had more than 2 hrs of continuous sleep on any night in the last 3 weeks. She had finished amoxicillin for her ear infection with only minor improvement. Anyway, went back to the dr today, he diagnosed persistent ear infection and gave us a script for cefzil. On the way to the pharmacy, both kids saw McD's and requested it for lunch. I was too tired to fight them and needed them to eat, so I went for it.

While in drive-through:
Son: "Mommy, can I have the Chicken Nugget happy meal, but with double the Moon Apples, no fries, ok mommy?"
Daughter: "Yeah, nuggets and moon apples please!"

They call the apple slices moon apples because of the shape. They also both asked for white milk without prompting from me. Then, they only ate 2 nuggets each and proceeded to eat both bags of apples each.

So, my healthier eating must be rubbing off on them, because until a few months ago, they'd have been all about the fries, nuggets and chocolate milk.

Not sure why this struck me as so profound. Could be that the only true energy I have going for me is the coffee. I am hoping the cefzil kicks that ear infection and she'll let me sleep. My brain is a bit scrambled.

Replies

• GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That is truly awesome! Just goes to show that kids really do learn from what they see. So glad for you and your wee kiddies!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    More power to the "see it - do it" theory! Good for your kids. Good for you.
  • smpaselk
    smpaselk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always hated the saying "do as I say, not as I do." I hear people tell there kids this all the time...your story is proof that the physical examples we set for ourselves in front of our children can matter more that what we say. Great job for setting a good example for your kids!
  • joyvertz
    joyvertz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    that is great!!!
  • JakeMallory
    Options
    "moon apple". Kids are so fun.
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been trying not to force stuff on them at all. But doing tiny little changes at a time. Good to finally see them choosing the better stuff on their own.
  • debee2000
    Options
    Congrats! I know that children learn better by example. Now if only I can start to be a better example and then the hubby could be too.

Anyone know if this works for teenagers? LOL
  • This story is so cool. I hope that my new found habits will make an influence on my future chidlren and they won't be dealing with the same issues that I am today.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's so great!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Synergy at its finest! Moon Apples for EVERYONE!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love that! My son is so picky, but my daughter will try anything...she loves cooking with me (she's 5) I really think it does help with the way she eats...she see's I'm eating healthier and of course kids like to eat off their parent's plate.
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know that children learn better by example. Now if only I can start to be a better example and then the hubby could be too.

Anyone know if this works for teenagers? LOL

If the only thing in the house is healthy then they will eat it eventually.
  • jazzgnat
    jazzgnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience a couple of weeks into my diet. My eight year old asked me how many calories was in snack. I just dismissed it he is very active and sick skinny so I encourage him to eat what he wants. He has to feed that metabolism. Of course family dinners are full of healthy foods.
  • Sara1025
    Sara1025 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I have begun my weight loss journey and new healthy lifestyle with my daughter in mind! She is only 4 months now, but hearing that your healthly lifestyle has influenced your children and will probably influence mine is very inspiring to me. Thank You!!!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's great!!! They really do like to mimic us and our habits! My kids are starting to be a lot more receptive to all the fresh veggies I've been making with dinner. Also, we cut out McDonald's because a doctor I recently met has a cheeseburger, fries and package of chicken nuggets on her counter that are almost 2 years old and still look the same... Same shape, texture, no mold, no odor, no bugs, nothing. I havent been back since I saw that.... LOL
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    awww, makes me happy reading this :)

ps: i still love fries though. but i only have mcdonalds like a few times a year, if that.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!!! Your healthy eating is def rubbing off
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating a lot of raw foods because my dad did. we would go to the fridge and take out two green bell peppers, one each, wash them off then crunch in to them like apples. Then he would say ((sigh)) this is the life with a goofy grin on his face.
    I still eat that way and remember him like that always :love:
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I hope to hear something like that from my kids someday. :)
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hate to hear about the ear infections. Can be exhausting for sure. Obviously your kids are learning from what they see and not just what they are told. Imagine that......keep up the great work!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!