P90X - Starting Month 2

Options
Hello all. Not alot of interesting chat on the boards today and no one has been discussing P90X recently so I thought I would bring it up and see how all those X-ers are doing!

I am getting to the end of Week 4 and enjoyed it very much. I have to say I have missed a few over the last 30 days but often fill them in when there is supposed to be a rest/stretch day, and sometimes I will go for a run 2/3x a week instead of some less intense days. I try always to get Chest+Back, Shoulders+Arms, Legs+Back and Plyo into each week but not always Kenpo and Yoga. I need to do the odd run as I have a series of 8k races coming up.

First of all, does this sound ok or do you reckon I am cheating too much? It is what is practical and what I can fit in, but I can force myself to do each and everyday if you think it's necessary. I would do a morning session but my partner sleeps in later than me, and sometimes in the evening she doesn't want me prancing round the living room so I will go out for a run instead (She really hates Tony - I love him!).

Secondly, how is the step up to Week 5? Will I struggle or is it more of the same just in different order. What is Core Synergistics! (I haven't cheated and looked ahead). Chest+Shoulders+Triceps and Back+Biceps look fun!

I am currently only doing weights with bands as we have moved house alot recently and I sold me old free weights. Wish I still had them, I would be pumping up if I did (and probably be more exhausted!)!

Great to hear from any other P90X-ers out there at the same stage! Photos/success stories also appreciated, I have to take some shots myself but I have seen a real difference already. Finally started noticing the inches today but generally my muscles feel so much harder and stronger.

Cheers all!

Replies

• btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump myself!
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it to month 2! P90X is a hard workout to get through. I recently finished month 2 and started on month 3. I did about the same as you. I did not or have not done any of the yoga or kenpo. I think the yoga routine was waaaayyyy too long. I dont have 97 minutes to bend and twist myself into a knot on my living room floor. Kenpo, well I just dont have the cordination. Jab-cross-hook-upper cut was not pretty for me. I instead did the cardio X. What a workout! They should rename it Sweating Buckets.

I think you will enjoy the second month. Chest/shoulders/triceps and back/biceps are my favorites but be prepared to do lots and lots of curls. I just did Core synergistics last night. That is another one of my favorites. It works everything between the chest and waist. It helps establish a stronger core section. It will introduce you to alot of new moves; Sphinx push-ups, banana roll, bow to boat, etc.

Since starting, I have noticed that my strength and endurance has gone way up. I have now started to incorporate heavy weight lifting in my routine. I am benching, squatting and curling alot more than I thought I could. P90X got me off the couch and moving. Now that I am seeing results, I want more!

Good luck to you and shout at me if you have any questions.

**Tip of the Day** DON'T SMASH YOUR FACE!
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I am interested in purchasing and getting into P90X. Where can I purchase it?? I've seen lots of ads on the television and the internet, but I have no clue where to actually get the right one. Can either of you help with that?
  • dzarello
    Options
    Go to beachbody.com. They have a whole list of workout videos that you can purchase including P90X.
  • btdublin
    Options
    Congrats on making it to month 2! P90X is a hard workout to get through. I recently finished month 2 and started on month 3. I did about the same as you. I did not or have not done any of the yoga or kenpo. I think the yoga routine was waaaayyyy too long. I dont have 97 minutes to bend and twist myself into a knot on my living room floor. Kenpo, well I just dont have the cordination. Jab-cross-hook-upper cut was not pretty for me. I instead did the cardio X. What a workout! They should rename it Sweating Buckets.

I think you will enjoy the second month. Chest/shoulders/triceps and back/biceps are my favorites but be prepared to do lots and lots of curls. I just did Core synergistics last night. That is another one of my favorites. It works everything between the chest and waist. It helps establish a stronger core section. It will introduce you to alot of new moves; Sphinx push-ups, banana roll, bow to boat, etc.

Since starting, I have noticed that my strength and endurance has gone way up. I have now started to incorporate heavy weight lifting in my routine. I am benching, squatting and curling alot more than I thought I could. P90X got me off the couch and moving. Now that I am seeing results, I want more!

Good luck to you and shout at me if you have any questions.

**Tip of the Day** DON'T SMASH YOUR FACE!

Thanks DZ. I haven't done any Cardio X - is that for use as an alternative if you dont want to do rest/yoga? I think I should stick to my running but would appreciate a Cardio session with Tony - he really motivates me.

Love Kenpo and Plyo. Wish I had some weights, would love to step it up a gear.

I don't have a gym membership right now but thinking about going on a one-off guest pass once a week - thought I could put a P90X video on my ipod and just listening to it in the gym whilst following the programme. Don't need to see it after having done it a couple of times! Has anyone done a this??
  • btdublin
    Options
    Dzarello, just read your profile and see you are here to gain weight. Cool! I was at that stage about 7 years ago (have then let myself go) and it was great but really hard work to gain lean. Great diet though, chicken/bacon/cheese ad infinitum (ad nauseum!).

P90X would be great for lean gains, you will probably need some big old weight before the end, and you will have to be eating protein like a beast! Good luck!
  • dzarello
    Options
    The cardio x comes in on week 5. Week 5 is for your body to recover from the previous 4 weeks of hell. You will also be introduced to Core synergistics. I think you will enjoy both of those workouts.

I did start here to gain weight and keep track of my feeding habits, which I have done over the last couple of months. I have managed to gain about 15 pounds of mostly muscle. There is some fat associated with gaining weight, but I am now working to burn it off and keep the muscle that I do have. I used P90X just to get me moving again and in the process I have become stronger and more agile. I also burned calories and sweat buckets, but it is worth it. I have found a great weigh lifting program that has allowed me to continue on my goals. I have already incorporated plyo, cardio x and core syn. into my weight training. Gives me a nice break.
  • spartacus69
    Options

That's my experience too! One round of the X, one round of an X-Insanity-whatever hybrid, and now a round of the X with heavy weights (bought a barbell set, bench and squat rack.) Good stuff!

BTW, Cardio X is not in the "Classic" schedule, but it's in the 'Lean" program and in the "Doubles" routine as the cardio workout.
  • grneyecowgirl
    Options
    I go awesome esults doing P90X.. I was gonna start it again but wanted a change doing Jillian Micheals now and have had awesome results with her. Keep on keeping on its an awesome workout.
  • btdublin
    Options
    Thanks Spartacus. Doing a repeat round of X with big weights sounds awesome. Will definitely be doing that. Need to invest in some metal!
  • Jamesjoemarsh
    Jamesjoemarsh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Completing P90x two years ago was a milestone in my life. I gained weight in a good way. None of my old clothes fit. However, what tony says about eating right is definitely true. I do not look fit, but I sure do feel like it. As a reward for completing each 90 day round, I buy myself dumbbells. If you pay yourself a little for each session, by the end you will have enough to buy a couple. I now have a mix-match set from 10s to 40s. Reward yourself for all that hard work with tools to accomplish even greater gains.
  • spartacus69
    Options
    However, what tony says about eating right is definitely true.

Very good point. From what I've read, most of the people with the really dramatic before-and-after pictures followed a strict nutrition plan. This is the first time I've been good about tracking what I eat and sticking to the macro nutrient ratios, and the results have been better than in my past rounds.