Cardio and Strength

Options
I still have a bunch of weight that I need to lose however, I have a question. Should I continue to do mostly cardio until I lose more weight or should I combine strength training as well? Also, what's some good beginners strength training programs out there...for non-gym goers? I'm an extreme beginner with no strength whatsoever!

Thanks for all of your input everyone!

Replies

• hollyhunt123
    Options
    This was the same topic I was about to post! I need to lose 100 pounds, I have lost 14 in 4 weeks doing cardio 6 days, 1 hour each day. I started doing some mild circuit training about a week ago and I have been SO hungry! I'm wondering if I should just stick to cardio and get more weight off. I just don't want to loose muscle, and I also know more muscle burns calories too....gggrrrrr....what to do....????
  • DaleWinn
    DaleWinn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In the past when I was in a fitness orientated profession, it mainly boiled down to what you want to do with your body. If you need to loose fat, stick with the cardio, but if you would also like to tone up, then lift the weights. As well, if you are also starting to get bored with your daily routine, then switch it up with some iron pumping too. You are still training and making a "better you". Altho "strength training" may not burn the calories up front, the benefits are in the longevity of doing the iron pumping... there is many studies done, but on average they say that for every pound of muscle you have, your body will burn approx an extra 30cal / day just to maintain it. Not too shabby. Just remember, no matter what the mags say or the internet, it still boils down to the basics.. Diet & Activity. With tools like fitnesspal and "Google" we can find what works for ourselves.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I'd say do both. I like doing videos like Jillian's 30 Day Shred and such where you do both weights and cardio. I don't know about videos or programs for beginners but I do know that 30 Day Shred would work. There's a modifier at all times so even if you are an extreme beginner you can follower her or even do your own modifications or take breaks if you need to.
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciated!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Strength training, definitely!

Muscle burns more calories just by being there, so the more you have, the more your normal daily calorific requirement. Plus it gives you a fantastic shape!