Plateau Busting Tips Needed

Options
I am desperate. At least I think I am. I am in the midst of a plateau. My weight has ben the same for a few months and I am becoming increasingly frustrated by this evil, Eye-of-Sauron plateau. I have increased my calories per day (up to 1660), I work out doing strength training and cardio, and I eat nothing but vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and vegetable proteins (no meat and not much dairy though). But seriously, I can't remember the last time I had--or craved--junk food. Oh, I also eat all of my exercise calories too.

I am only looking to lose 15-20 more pounds and would *like* to do so before my college graduation in May (this might be an unrealistic expectation but who wouldn't want to look good for their graduation?)

So has anyone else been in a similar situation? And if so, how in the world did you get out of this funk? I'm getting to the point where I am ready to tear my hair out. I would try just about anything that wasn't deadly, embarrassing, or unhealthy.

Thank you in advance. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tmbright
    Options
    I know what you mean! I am graduating in May as well and would love to just lose 5-10 lbs, but I can't seem to go anywhere with it! My sister just had a baby and she has dropped her weight so fast already, she weighs less than me again! I asked how she did it and she said just eating lots of salads and portion control. She doesn't even work out regularly! I find that I have a very hard time losing weight when I am stressed. Partly I am a stress eater, so I don't have the best diet. That doesn't seem to be a problem for you. Have you tried mixing up your routine? A different work-out program? I did Insanity last year and it rocked. Not for people with bad knees (a ton of high impact/jumping) but I could tell a difference (and that was without really following the diet). Each session is under an hour but kicks butt. I'm going to have to follow this topic to read the advice, because I really need it too!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Do you vary your exercises?
  • changing_for_good
    changing_for_good Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 15-20 pounds by the time I graduate in May too! The beginning of January was not as successful as I would have liked it to be. I changed my workout routine up quite a bit and while I haven't lost as many pounds as I would like to have I have lost a lot of inches (at least a lot for just a couple weeks). I started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (6 Days a week) and strength training 2-3 and cardio once a week (compared to cardio 3-4 times and strength 4-5 times) I will add that when I strength train it is enough to get my heart rate up quite a bit (in the cardio range).

Only change with my diet is I eat a low carb meal for dinner (instead of pasta centered meals)

I know everyone is different but I figured I would share what helped me.
  • sizzlinoverthefat
    sizzlinoverthefat Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding weight training. You dont' have to go crazy and go out and buy copious amounts of weights. Use wha'ts around your house. The 16 or 20 oz water bottles filled with water or sand...If you have a gym near you call and ask if they have a trainer that you can set up an appt with. He/she maybe able to work on a routine for you.
    Seriouslyadding weight training 3 times a week will help, keep up the cardio but change the routine to include bursts to get out of the slump. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • LeCitron
    Options
    I feel ya tmbright. The thing is, I'm not really super stressed. This is my senior year, yes, but I've got good prospects, my grades are good, and I'm not a procrastinator. Heck, I do all of my work early just so I can go to bed at a reasonable hour! The only stress I get is from dealing with people I don't like but I'm even managing that.

As for varying exercises, the short answer is yes. The long answer involves doing my own routine of high intensity interval training, running, working on an elliptical, rowing machine, free weights, weight machines, workout videos. It just depends on the day. Cardio lasts for about 30-40 minutes and the strength training is around the same but, as I said, it varies depending on the day. I've also *lessened* the amount of time I work out just because it was too much. It used to be about two hours a day and I have no desire to go back to that.
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I needed this advice as well, due to the fact I too am a stress eater & have plateaued here in the past 2 months, I have not gained or lost so I definately need a jump start.
  • katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but start eating Nutella. Before this week, I was at the same weight for 2 months and there was no sign in any scale movement. Finally this week, I indulged in my Nutella. Every day I had 1 tablespoon with my English muffin for breakfast. I've lost 3 pounds.

If this doesn't work, go out and eat normally. Take a break from "dieting" for about a week. Then come back and hit it hard. (I also did this as well, but I still like giving credit to my Nutella.)
  • mrskatiee
    Options
    A plateau can be your body getting too used to things, or thinking it is starving, so it starts conserving weight. The cure: Have a pizza, the unhealthy kind, not street veggie, and maybe a soda. Instead of increasing your calories with "healthy food" add in an indulgence to trick your body into thinking it isn't starving. Also, try swimming. And not just swimming laps. Get some friends and go play in the pool at your university. Or go outside and play soccer, or volleyball. Get OUT OF THE GYM! This isn't just about varying workout, but using your whole body and having fun! Good luck and congratulations on your graduation!
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound ridiculous, but start eating Nutella. Before this week, I was at the same weight for 2 months and there was no sign in any scale movement. Finally this week, I indulged in my Nutella. Every day I had 1 tablespoon with my English muffin for breakfast. I've lost 3 pounds.

If this doesn't work, go out and eat normally. Take a break from "dieting" for about a week. Then come back and hit it hard. (I also did this as well, but I still like giving credit to my Nutella.)

mmmm I always knew Nutella was godly