280 Square Foot Apartment?!?

Options
RoboLikes
RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
I am looked at an apartment on the Upper East Side in Manhattan for an amazing price, but the apartment is about 280sp feet....help! When is too small too small? Is that really liveable?

Replies

• lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    for only one person
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Here's a 90 square foot apartment in NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you plan to be out of the apartment a lot then I think it's fine. But if you're a homebody, I might try to find something bigger.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    280 sq. ft = 16-3/4' x 16-3/4'
    That's kinda small...
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ummm, its ok if your a hamster.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Don't know...I lived in a 400 square foot guest house for a year with my son and husband and his son over the summer time. We seemed to do fine...
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's pretty tiny. But on the bright side the bathroom is probably in the living room so pesky pooping wouldn't interrupt your shows.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Smaller than my office... just sayin.
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    It depends on how cheap it is! If I was single I would not really care if the price was right since I would not be home that much anyway.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    thaats too small. i lived on the upper east side for three years, you can find something affrordable and bigger then that.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If you have a Japanese design style ,no furniture, except a low table, roll up bed mat. then it would plenty of room.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you live by yourself it should be enough space. My only concern would be the kitchen. In an apartment that size I would personally want the kitchen to be approximately half the floor space, just because I love to cook. Anywhere else in the world you would probably go crazy, but because it is NYC there is always something to do outside of your apartment. You will probably need to find a local coffee shop where you will spend time reading, computer stuff etc. I wouldn't want to sit at home if I lived in NYC anyway.

I would totally do it if I were single. I am a very social creature and would love to be forced out of the house all the time.

My advice is to go see it and look specifically at the kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping space because those areas are where you are going to be spending the most time. Best of luck to you. Personally I would do it!!
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Its $1250 a month and it has not been reno'd for a very long time (small/ iffy kitchen/ bathroom) i guess im kinda desperate, ive been looking for an apartment for about 5 months and its driving me crazy!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love those IKEA rooms that show how good design can help us live in much smaller spaces than we're used to. Know what I'm talking about? They build these tiny homes in their showrooms, def that size. Their site has some examples too.
  • naia16
    naia16 Posts: 35
    Options
    if you have an IKEA near you they have some really cool set ups for small apartments to show how they can be designed for maximum use. at least they used to. go there and see what it wold look like and see if you would feel cramped or not. just a suggestion
  • naia16
    Options
    I love those IKEA rooms that show how good design can help us live in much smaller spaces than we're used to. Know what I'm talking about? They build these tiny homes in their showrooms, def that size. Their site has some examples too.
    ha ha..we had the same idea at the same time. was posting as you were writing too i guess
  • naia16
    Options
    found a site you might want to look at. same square footage at the one you are looking at. see how they designed it for ideas :)
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chris-mini-modern-142164
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Smaller than my office... just sayin.

Same here... can you really live in a space that small?? Maybe were just spoiled for space here in Aus...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My bathroom is that big.......its way to small unless you own nothing and are never home.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How cheap is cheap? I've lived in spaces about that size.