Healthy vegan curry recipes out there???

Options
amonkey794
amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
Hi! So I really want to expand my cooking skills (which aren't spectacular, but I'm learning lol) and learn to make some curry. I eat a lot of vegan dishes, though I won't go as far to say I am 100%, more along the lines of 90% lol.

I also try to eat as close to clean as I can get …

With that said does anyone one know of some good, healthy, maybe not too high cal curry recipes. I ha found one earlier but it wasn't actually curry, just had curry powder in it lol :)

Thanks a bunch :)

Replies

• amonkey794
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    this is from the website spabettie. It's a recipe I ran into awhile back, and have made it several times with variations. I'm just copying the one from the site for you - if you google the name + vegan you'll find it.

I do the peanut butter + Peanut Flour variation (less fat.) I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I do really like Soy curls. Didn't care for it with chickpeas. Diced carrots are also a nice addition.

I didn't bother with a slow cooker - about 20 min total on the stove.

Spicy African Peanut Soup

1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1/2 tablespoon sea salt
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons red pepper flakes – adjust to your heat preference – you can always add, you can’t take away
    3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    2 cups stewed tomatoes
    1/2 cup peanut butter*

Protein addition: 1/2 bag soy curls or 2 cups chickpeas

*Reduce peanut butter to 1/4 cup and add 3/4 cup peanut flour to reduce calories.

Rehydrate soy curls. Sauté onion. Add garlic and soy curls (or beans or preferred protein). While these cook further, add the rest of the ingredients to your slow cooker or large pot. Add protein, garlic and onions, set to low temperature for 4+ hours, high temperature for 2-3 hours.

Although this is, yet again, a 'curry powder' recipe. A guess you could do a nice lentil dal. But there are so many definitions of curry...
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Our family eats vegan dinners together and loves curry- but I'm unsure as to what you mean by 'a curry'. To me curry is the spice and the rest of the dish dictates the name of the meal. Maybe that's why others are confused as well?

For example- okra and curry- great dish but I don't call it a curry. I call it okra and curry :)
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Made this the other day, it's so good! Kept eating the sauce after my veggies were all gone. The almond butter i use has no added oil, but you can use regular almond butter (I'm on this special no oil allowed diet)

Thai Almond Curry Sauce
    8oz no added oil roasted almond butter
    1 can light unsweetened coconut milk
    1.5 T (table spoon) curry powder
    .5 T turmeric root
    .5 t (teaspoon) all spice
    2 large clove garlic
    1 medium yellow onion
    .5-.25 inch small jalapeno(depending on heat of pepper)
    2 dates
    Liquid aminos to taste

1. Steam-sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until onions are translucent
    2. Blend all ingredients in high-powered blender or food processor and serve over no-oil stir-fry.

not sure how many calories it has, but I know it's healthy and better than that delicious.
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Simple but yummy, my 2 1/2 year old loves this with rice. I add chicken, but you can just stick with the chick peas.

Sautee a diced onion and some chopped garlic in olive oil. Add cumin, curry powder, ground coriander and turmeric (play with the amounts, I just eyeball it!). Stir this all around in the pot until it comes to a kind of lumpy paste and cook it together for a minute or two. Then add a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of chick peas (rinsed). Let this all simmer for about 10 minutes to combine flavours. Next, add 1 diced granny smith apple and a handful of raisins. Sometimes I also add some shredded coconut at this point, but not always. I've also added other bits, including cauliflower, potato, sweet potato, etc., which will require you add a bit of water to help these cook. Really, the possibilities are endless. I love eating this with a homemade raita (yogurt/cucumber/dill/garlic concoction).
    Happy Eating!
  • amonkey794
    Options
    These are great ideas!!
  • gem_angel
    Options
    i have a recipe i've been meaning to try, but haven't yet, so cant say how it tastes... i'm sure you could leave out the yogurt and not hurt the recipe :)

• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
    • 2 teaspoons canola oil
    • 1/2 onion, chopped
    • 2 teaspoons curry powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 can (15 ounces) no-saltadded chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    • 4 tablespoons fat-free greek-style yogurt
    Directions
    1. Whisk the cornstarch in a small bowl with enough of the broth to dissolve. Set aside.
    2. Combine the oil, onion, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
    3. Add the remaining broth to the pan along with the reserved cornstarch mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened. Add the chickpeas and cashews. Simmer for 5 minutes for the flavors to blend. Stir in the cilantro. Serve with a dollop of the yogurt.