Fat-Free Food Rant

Options
I know we are all on here to get healthy and want to make smart healthy food choices.

Substituting fat-free or reduce-fat products is NOT a healthy food choice!!! Sure it cuts some fat out but then loads on the sodium and sugar to make up for the flavor.
Secondly fat isn't bad for you!!! Especially fats from things like nuts and avocados. So getting reduced fat peanut butter is not a smart choice.

sorry, mini rant over. I'm just tired of seeing recipes that are "healthier" because of using fat-free products.

Replies

• spinachdiva
    Options
    I think this is a really important point to consider when subbing out food choices. I think some low-fat stuff is great (like cheese made with 2%, some Earth Balance products, etc) but it's so important to check the rest of the stats...just because it's low-cal and low-fat does not mean the sugars, carbs, and sodium aren't off the charts. And a lot of low-call and low-fat stuff is made with a boatload of chemicals that do not under any circumstances need to be in your body!

Honestly, I think a good remedy for this is just finding another substitution all together. For example: using greek or soy yogurt instead of sour cream, spreading a little hummus on a sandwich instead of mayo, sauteeing onions in water instead of glugs of olive oil... or, making your own! There's a lot to be said for homemade mayo and hummus, and that way you know exactly what goes in it, but people definitely don't always have the time.

Or, eat the food you love---but sparingly. Maybe instead of eating a full fledged peanut butter sandwich, you spread a tbsp of peanut butter on an apple or some celery. Use a pat of real butter in some pasta instead of over-processed margarine. Anything is better than eating food made of a bunch of stuff you can't pronounce, in my opinion...
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's a process for everybody. If someone can begin cutting back on their calories by subbing in lower calorie options, they will eventually begin using less and less of items and gradually shifting their food choices for better things. Yes, higher sodium and sugar might be a side-effect for a while, but not forever. There are so many important factors in nutrition that it's often overwhelming for people to consider making sure they aren't getting too many calories, too much sodium, too many carbs, not enough protein or fiber....it's a lot to take on all at once. One step at a time.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know we are all on here to get healthy and want to make smart healthy food choices.

Substituting fat-free or reduce-fat products is NOT a healthy food choice!!! Sure it cuts some fat out but then loads on the sodium and sugar to make up for the flavor.
    Secondly fat isn't bad for you!!! Especially fats from things like nuts and avocados. So getting reduced fat peanut butter is not a smart choice.

sorry, mini rant over. I'm just tired of seeing recipes that are "healthier" because of using fat-free products.

Agreed! This always frustrates me!
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    @SarahBear, I think you totally have a point. It takes all types, and some people absolutely need it!

But I think it's much, much easier to eat healthier in the long run by making substitutions and getting used to them, or learning how to portion, instead of basing a good deal of one's diet off of super-processed foods. I don't think of it as giving something up, but more of trading it in for something that ultimately serves the same purpose and is healthier.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its just a hangover from the last three decades of being told EAT FAT FREE from every direction.
    People like me (who were adults in the 80's and 90's) heard this ALL the time and it's only recently that I've actually read "fat doesn't make you fat".
    It's one reason why I'm wary of the whole "low carb", "carbs are evil" stance. I don't think that demonising a whole nutrient group serves a useful purpose. Saying "eat food with nutrients instead of candy" might be a more useful message.

I do agree with your point though, and I have real reservations bout food like the "miracle noodles" and that icecream where you can eat a whole pint for -3 calories. I take the point that it is nice to have lower calorie options, especially when you are first starting to make changes, but having food that is so low in calories that it encourages you to eat an unrealistically large portion seems like a very bad idea to me.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    And what is wrong with sodium and sugar? I drink fat free milk, fat free cottage cheese, fat free greek yogurt, and such so it fits into my macros better.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I love fat free sour cream; 1/3 cals and 20mg sodium!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I order or use fat free items here and there because they fit my macros. It doesn't make any difference. I use fat free creamers in my coffee because I don't want the extra carbs/fat and such that milk has plus my sugar. I use low fat or fat free cottage cheese, because it fits better into my macros. There is nothing wrong with a tradeoff.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Fat free cheese is quite gross tasting though xD
    And I looked at low fat PB one time... cals were close to the same! xD
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I love Miracle Noodles & they come in handy when I've had a carb heavy day with running.
    1 pouch plus some sweet n sour sauce, 2TBS crushed fresh pineapple, & diced chicken
    Makes for a nice dinner!!

Also, Friendship No Salt Added 1% Fat (85g) mixed w/Breakstone's 2% reduced sodium Cottage Cheese (31g)
    Is a staple @ my house!! I love the stuff :)
  • Pebble321
    Options
    I love Miracle Noodles & they come in handy when I've had a carb heavy day with running.
    1 pouch plus some sweet n sour sauce, 2TBS crushed fresh pineapple, & diced chicken
    Makes for a nice dinner!!

Hmmmm. I'd be eating real noodles on a running day.
    Sounds yummy though.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options

Hmmmm. I'd be eating real noodles on a running day.
    Sounds yummy though.

I eat PB banana oats before my training runs ;) yummo!!
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Ah, that makes more sense now :)
    My long run brekky is a toasted english muffin with pb and banana. I can do oatmeal after I run, but it seems too mooshy to have before, I don't quite know why......
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Ha! I love fat free food. I'll never stop dosing myself up with *kitten* like this. I love Splenda, too. To each his own! We'll see who lives longer. Bwahahahaha! ;)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I use fat-free foods all the time. U mad OP?
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm also a FF or LF fan...but I will look at the labels to check out the nutritional information. For example, I've always used FF Mayo and this past weekend when I went shopping I noticed the values of the LF Mayo are pretty close to the FF so I switched. But I only buy FF sour cream and LF cheese--I draw the line at buying FF cheese. Yuck!
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'll add this:

Fat-free foods are not always "fat free"

Fat-Free has been defined as having 0.5 grams of fat per serving or less.

That means that if you have a box of "fat-free" cookies, let's say there are 20 cookies in the box, and the serving size is 1 cookie, there could be as much as 10 grams of fat in that box of cookies.

Really have to go through and read the ingredients. If something is labeled "fat free", but one of the listed ingredients is "oil" (of any kind) you can rest assured there is some fat in there.

Happy Friday Everyone!
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use fat-free foods all the time. U mad OP?

Not mad, I just don't like the misconception.

my true motto is everything in moderation!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It's a process for everybody. If someone can begin cutting back on their calories by subbing in lower calorie options, they will eventually begin using less and less of items and gradually shifting their food choices for better things. Yes, higher sodium and sugar might be a side-effect for a while, but not forever. There are so many important factors in nutrition that it's often overwhelming for people to consider making sure they aren't getting too many calories, too much sodium, too many carbs, not enough protein or fiber....it's a lot to take on all at once. One step at a time.

Good answer. I also value low fat dairy products. There you get what you are expecting.
  • ELIZACAY236
    ELIZACAY236 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Exactly...its a little overwhelming and then you get discouraged and just quit. Done this many times. I decided this time I would just worry about calories first and then the more progress I made the more healthier choices I would make.