Practical Vegan meals(recipe ideas wanted)

Options
I have just recently becom vegan and I only have a Walmart and a small health food store to use near by. I am looking for meals with ingredients i can get at these locations. Recipes please!9790017.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I order a lot of dry goods from Amazon. But I do have a large-ish grocery store near me that sells a lot vegan fare.

Check out ohsheglows.com and theppk.com for recipes. Oh, and vegweb.com

:0)
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    The Happy Herbivore is a great place to start! happyherbivore.com and she has two wonderful cookbooks, The Happy Herbivore Cookbook and Everyday Happy Herbivore. Her recipes are all 1g of fat or less!

I would start out easy and low-maintenance....Walmart has excellent low-priced whole wheat pasta that can be prepared with your favorite pasta sauce and some chickpeas. Get black beans (or fat-free refried beans), tomatoes, onions, and salsa and have yourself a taco night. Make a vegetarian chili--it'll last for days. Quick black bean burgers are ready in a snap too---check happyherbivore.com for a fabulous recipe.

AVOID relying on processed meat-substitute products (Gardenburger, Boca, Gardein)....I think these are a delicious treat for every once in awhile, but they are so expensive to be relied on instead of beans and other whole grains.
  • parsnips1980
    Options
    go to www.aliensdayout.com. this is a girl i know who writes this blog out of korea. she also has an online vegan bake shop, but only in seoul :( lots of simple ideas, great pictures, and im pretty sure there is an entire recipe section (but sometimes they are included in the post). enjoy! (i also added this post to another vegan recipe inquiry...its just a really great site. im not even vegan and i read it religiously!)
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows.com is a great vegan recipe blog, there isn't a recipe I've tried that hasn't been great! Some of my favorites are the sweet potato black bean salad, the tomato basil pesto, and butternut squash mac and cheese.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of one dish meals so that's what most of these are. These are our family's favorites-

sauteed onions and beans and greens (turnip are our favs)
    vegan chili- beans and chili powder with onions and tomato (crushed)
    Beans and cornbread fritters- pinto beans served atop cornbread patties (can be baked)
    Salsa soup- veggies, lentils, peppers, onions, garlic add water and salsa verde to make soup
    Pasta and cabbage- we use Quinoa pasta and saute the cabbage. It's so sweet and tasty.
    Veggie parade- raw veggies (placed in a row for kids) that get dunked into peanut butter.
    Tofu scramble- crumbled tofu, sliced potatoes and onions/peppers- saute in pan.
    Vegan chicken salad- crumbled soft tofu, italian herbs, olive oil, salt n pepper- mix and put on bread for great summer sandwiches.
    Raw cabbage rolls- shred cabbage, add sesame oil, walnuts and shredded carrot- toss. Wrap up in raw cabbage leaves n serve.
    Cabbage roll shortcup soup- Cube cabbage, add two big cans of crushed tomatoes, onions, liquid smoke, lentils into crockpot- cook for five to six hours and serve. salt and pepper to taste.