Maintenance fail.

Options
Hey guys...so you know that story of someone who loses weight and focuses so well and suddenly they balloon up again?

I fear this story is ALMOST mine...I'm in to maintenance by just over a week and feeling like I've lost so much strength in willpower as to what I put in my mouth. Without the goal of seeing a number on a scale, I find it so difficult to make good choices. Example: I ate an entire pizza today. Not at once, but still. I know that's a bad choice, but I feel that I've lost my motivation and I'm afraid if I stay on this path I will balloon back up again.

Thereby, does anyone have any suggestions to maintenance? I'm trying to log and it's affirming my beliefs that I'm doing a lot of things wrong. Advice is so welcome; I can handle the harsh truth. Thanks!

Replies

• tweety170
    Options
    First--congrats on the loss! Second--what a great, great topic. Third--do you have other goals? Maybe you can work toward something else--like running a race? Or a certain toning goal, like 5 pull ups? Those things will help you keep on track. Good luck!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your success! Regarding your question, remember, maintenance isn't a free-for-all-eat-whatever-you-want situation. You ARE still aiming to see a number on the scale -- it's just the same number week after week. I'm in maintenance now, and I still take my calorie limit pretty seriously - it's just higher than it used to be. Given that you've probably been depriving yourself for a long time, there's nothing wrong with overdoing it for a few days, but try getting yourself back into the "calorie counting" mindset until you have a better intuition for exactly how much you should be eating on a given day.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Hey, congratulations first off. Could you try to still weigh yourself every week to make sure you are staying on track for the first few months then down to every two weeks then every month. Or something like that. Just so you still have the structure until you feel stronger. :)

Good luck
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am still weighing as frequently as I did before, and though it could be sodium or whatever, I'm definitely seeing a small difference that's freaking me out. I'm still counting calories and everything, but you're totally right - it's not a free for all and that's sort of the mindset I'm stuck in. I love the idea of a goal of running a race or having other fitness goals that are measurable and not necessarily weight or diet based. Any other advice is great too! Thanks everyone!
  • katisabanana
    katisabanana Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    rather than focusing on the number on the scale, focus on your strength. keep working towards being able to run faster, lift more, do more reps, whatever it is you do.
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    Options
    I can relate. Today was the first time I stepped on the scale since September! Turns out I gained 10 pounds, which is more than half of the total weight I had lost since I signed up for MFP. I had really slacked off logging calories, but I'm back on the logging wagon.

I have some races coming up and I hope the training helps.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm trying to figure out a good plan for maintenance... what saved me while losing was figuring out a calorie range rather than trying to hit the exact same number every day, but that range got smaller and smaller as I got closer to my goal.

Anyhow, I'm still mulling things over for the maintenance part of the program...

Here's where I've started, but I expect they'll be some tweaking....
    When I hit my goal of 145 lbs went on maintenance for 140 lbs figuring it'd give me a little wiggle room to figure out guidelines that will work for the long haul. I have a spread sheet with 10-day totals adding up my under days and my over days (I started this because I was getting too stressed out on my over days, it helped put things in perspective.)

And if I did lose those last 5 lbs it would take close to a year at .1 lb per week.

Anybody have thoughts on how to develop a maintenance range?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ok, you thought that one day you'd magically be able to eat whatever you wanted. Well, this is a lifestyle change, and you're never going to be able to eat like you did before. It's a proven fact, also, that is takes at least a year for your body to reset itself to adjust to your new weight, so the new goal is to keep at your weight for a year, and you're still going to have to weigh and measure and count every calorie, and work out all the time.

But it's worth it, you know it is. Don't sabotage yourself. Work your treats into your daily calorie intake, and work out so you can even eat more.

Good luck.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am still weighing as frequently as I did before, and though it could be sodium or whatever, I'm definitely seeing a small difference that's freaking me out. I'm still counting calories and everything, but you're totally right - it's not a free for all and that's sort of the mindset I'm stuck in. I love the idea of a goal of running a race or having other fitness goals that are measurable and not necessarily weight or diet based. Any other advice is great too! Thanks everyone!

I am going through the same thing. I started eating just a little UNDER maint. for the past 3 weeks and I have already gained back about two pounds. It really is intimidating.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am 6lbs away and not going to lie- I AM SCARED OF MAINTENANCE MODE- I have focused so much on losing that when it comes to Maintaining- it seems harder then losing! Suggestions welcome :flowerforyou:
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was in maintenance for a month til I decided to lose 5 more pounds. I've logged everything bc I knew if I didn't, I'd let myself eat whatever. I keep giving myself exercise goals since I've never focused on it before. My decision to lose 5 more lbs was based on my still too high body fat %. My point is to keep giving yourself goals and challenging yourself. Weight is only one #. There's also inches, cholesterol, body fat, miles, etc. :happy:
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well. I hit my goal in Nov and had no problem keeping the weight steady through mid Jan since I was doing a marathon and all the training. But I only run one full a year and several 1/2 marathons throughout the year. So my weekly long runs dropped from 20 miles to around 12 or so. My body is definitely adjusting and I see a pound or two sneak up and then work it back down. This has been my downfall in weight loss in the past. I get where I want to be and then I blow it. I don't want that to happen this time. I like the idea of setting new goals. The Boston Marathon is my major one but that is WAY down the road. Looking forward to hearing how others deal with maintenance. Great topic!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jessielil
    jessielil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    aaaaah! a year?! oh man. It's been one really tough week. Apparently I can't have Mexican food two nights in a row :)
    ok, you thought that one day you'd magically be able to eat whatever you wanted. Well, this is a lifestyle change, and you're never going to be able to eat like you did before. It's a proven fact, also, that is takes at least a year for your body to reset itself to adjust to your new weight, so the new goal is to keep at your weight for a year, and you're still going to have to weigh and measure and count every calorie, and work out all the time.

But it's worth it, you know it is. Don't sabotage yourself. Work your treats into your daily calorie intake, and work out so you can even eat more.

Good luck.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I am going through the same thing. I started eating just a little UNDER maint. for the past 3 weeks and I have already gained back about two pounds. It really is intimidating.
    2 pounds could be attributed to ANYTHING..including simply more food in your digestive tract. I wouldn't consider a 2 pound "gain" a failure at maintenance. Just keep your calories up and wait it out. You shouldn't gain much over those 2 pounds and you'll be much happier keeping your metabolism as high as possible by giving your body what it needs!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I am 6lbs away and not going to lie- I AM SCARED OF MAINTENANCE MODE- I have focused so much on losing that when it comes to Maintaining- it seems harder then losing! Suggestions welcome :flowerforyou:

1. have a weight range. people fluctuate on a day to day basis and it will make you crazy.

2. expect a 1-3 pound gain from extra food in your stomach/digestive tract

3. plan for treats/eating out/ holidays /celebrations --it will always help to pre-plan whether you follow it exactly or not

4. do not skimp on exercise once you're at goal

5. monitor your weight and adjust as soon as you're out of your weight window--small ups and downs are normal but the key word is "ups and downs" ...if you're seeing only UPS then you need to do something.

6. switch it up--eat new foods, do new workouts, stay focused and excited about maintaining your new body!
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    First--congrats on the loss! Second--what a great, great topic. Third--do you have other goals? Maybe you can work toward something else--like running a race? Or a certain toning goal, like 5 pull ups? Those things will help you keep on track. Good luck!

This AND...
    For me maintaining my weight is something that never comes to an end! Even though you may be in maintenance you never let down your guard. I am always logging what I eat. Your diet is like your bank account. You only get so much each day to spend.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through this myself, but I've actually watched people I care about go through this.

I think it's ok to go wild and crazy the first week of maintenance. Celebrate. Get it out of your system.

But now it's time to get serious again. Maintenance is a whole other ball game. It's a whole other mind set. And it's just like starting from day one. All over again. You have a new set of circumstances that you have to get used to and adapt to.

That being said. I would expect a small gain once maintenance starts. But I would also think that it would go away again shortly once your body gets used to the new calorie level.

Just my thoughts.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A question: Theoretically, and I'm a looooong way from maintenance... since this is a lifestyle change and all... when you are on maintenance shouldn't you just set your calories to your BMR and then eat any exercise calories?
    You can continue logging here.. it's just simply that you'd set your goal as 0 pounds per week, correct?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...so you know that story of someone who loses weight and focuses so well and suddenly they balloon up again?

I fear this story is ALMOST mine...I'm in to maintenance by just over a week and feeling like I've lost so much strength in willpower as to what I put in my mouth. Without the goal of seeing a number on a scale, I find it so difficult to make good choices. Example: I ate an entire pizza today. Not at once, but still. I know that's a bad choice, but I feel that I've lost my motivation and I'm afraid if I stay on this path I will balloon back up again.

Thereby, does anyone have any suggestions to maintenance? I'm trying to log and it's affirming my beliefs that I'm doing a lot of things wrong. Advice is so welcome; I can handle the harsh truth. Thanks!
    Harsh truth: maintenance is usually a failure for many because they RESTRICTED or ABSTAINED from foods they tend to enjoy.
    So is pizza something you gave up while trying to lose weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition