how do i stay motivated?

Options
i really want to loss weight and be healthy, but there is always something(not sure what) holding me back. i start, so really well then end up right where i started. im sure there are alot of people in my position, but how do we get out of this nasty cycle?

Replies

• christinezappella
    christinezappella Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I look at myself naked. Then I put down the cake....lol
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I look at myself naked. Then I put down the cake....lol

HAHAHA. Me too!!!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Only weigh yourself once a week. I weigh myself every Friday morning before I get dressed. Seeing a loss, even if it is 1 LB is enough to keep me motivated to keep it up. One pound here and there turns into real weight.
    Also, this site has a weight tracker so when you start see double digit losses, that REALLY motivates you.
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i agree, look at yourself naked ... you can also, take a picture of yourself... with clothes on, just normal. . . and look at it. . itll make u want to run a mile! lol aLSO, get some friends on here, they will keep you motivated! i would always start and end up stopping, but i never really commuicanted with anyone on here. . . being in touch with people who are in the same boat you are REALLY helps! Feel free to add me :bigsmile:
  • iliketopaint
    Options
    Usually fear of failure keeps people from staying motivated to achieve their goals.
  • corsax3
    Options
    thats for sure!. i know im going to fail, cuz i usually do. if i can get that out of my head, id be set.
    thanks
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have pics of myself around of me at my heaviest around my house and that keeps me motivated to keep going.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    thats for sure!. i know im going to fail, cuz i usually do. if i can get that out of my head, id be set.
    thanks
    I failed many times. What did it for me was I found something that worked for me. Being a programmer, I am data-oriented. I like to see numbers and figures. So, I found EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3 and it charts everything, counts calories burned, time in workouts, reps, monitors heart rate, everything I needed. I've stuck with working out because I saw the results in numbers on the screen before I ever saw the results on the scale. And when the scale started dropping, that helped to motivate me and realize that my failures were always due to impatience. Now, EASA2 isn't the answer for everyone, but if you're a data type like me, it could be.

Another thing that helped get me get into my own head is watching every season of The Biggest Loser. Less for the gameplay, but more for the reality. Those moments where the trainers break down the contestants and really get to the roots of the problems. Seeing people dropping weight, going on to be healthy. It is very inspiring and motivational. Sometimes I tear up at the opening episode of a season - no other show can make me do that. I think if you haven't been obese, the show probably won't mean as much to you, but my weight didn't even show up on my scale when I started my journey, and this show means a lot to me. It's the only reality show that I can name that actually makes a difference and means something. Nobody loses.

One of the lessons I learned from watching is to celebrate the small victories, rather than focusing solely on long-term. When that mentality set in, it takes away the sting of gaining a pound back here or there, when you know you're just gonna lose it and more in due time.

Good luck. I hope you can find something that works for you, because succeeding can be done, and once you start feeling it, you'll just want more, which will push you even harder in turn.
  • Ellorente
    Options
    Have pictures of the type of body you want all over your home, especially on the fridge. Have pictures of your progress/regression to keep you in check. Window shop/ search the internet for clothes you want to buy when you reach your mini goals. Have a support system at home that will keep you motivated. Think about how people looked at you and treated you and made comments of you because of your weight. Speak about your fustration and anger and disappointments wiht a friend that knows what you're going through. Read, read, read fitness articles and just focus and execute.
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like that one....
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use compliments to keep me motivated, that tells me that I'm really making progress....:wink:
  • lms333
    lms333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just remember... in 6 months, you'll be sitting there thinking, "Man, if I would have stuck to it I would be down at least 40 pounds right now. And now I have to wait another 6 months." After the 3rd time in saying that to myself I have decided I want a different outcome in 6 months. :)

So, don't put off today what you can do tomorrow...today is your day. Be present in your day and don't allow past issues or future engagements hold you back.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    i really want to loss weight and be healthy, but there is always something(not sure what) holding me back. i start, so really well then end up right where i started. im sure there are alot of people in my position, but how do we get out of this nasty cycle?
    Can I be brutally honest without meaning to offend you or anyone else, but you say you really want to lose weight.

But what you're also saying is that you give up very easily.

Which makes me think you actually don't want it enough!

According to your profile you want to lose 18lbs. I don't have any other stats on you (height, age etc) so I don't know if those are puppy fat or blubber. I think it might be the former rather than the latter.

If you had 80lbs to lose, some of the other replies might have hit home more, but it's a bit like battling any vice, unless you truly in your heart of hearts want to lose those extra pounds, give the junk the big heave-ho and start exercising regularly, then in all honesty it's just not going to happen.

Now I'm not trying to discourage you. Heaven forbid, I've been in your shoes so many times, and failed so many times too. what I found helped me this time was that I was ready to lose weight, ready to commit to regular exercise and ready to get myself in better shape.

I found a food & nutrition plan that I could stick to - no fads, no fuss, just good wholesome foods that tasted great and that I already enjoyed, albeit now in moderation and in sensible portions. I don't feel guilty about having a drink or some chocolate or something really good that some folks on here would look at disparagingly, because I account for it and make appropriate decisions, which usually involve extra exercise :happy:. I also found an exercise plan I could follow. For me it's swimming - I found a nice pool to go swimming in and I get up early and do 100 lengths most mornings, cycling to and from the pool and sometimes on the weekend I go for a bike ride after my swim. I also walk more and now that I've lost a bit of weight I don't get so breathless doing so.

Finding things I liked and enjoyed made it easier for me to stick to my plan, achieve my (mini-)goals and basking in all the compliments (when I know I'm still way off my goal) has made it easier too, but ultimately, I would not have succeeded had I not been honestly and wholeheartedly committed to getting with the program.

And only YOU can make that decision.

Good luck and I wish you every success! :flowerforyou:
  • iliketopaint
    Options
    Fear of failure is a really difficult thing... It's something that I struggle with as well. Start with small steps. Don't completely change your life in one day! It sounds like you talk to yourself in a negative way which affects your life more than you think. I think today, when you find yourself thinking one negative thought, you should stop yourself and make yourself think "no. that is not right. I can do this." Just once. Eventually you'll get there!
  • corsax3
    Options
    thank you. things are progressing slowly, but its a constant struggle, and i have not found something that will work for me that i can keep up with.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Negative punishment. If you slip up, arrange for someone to take away something that means a lot to you (as an example, if playing guitar is your life, arrange for someone to kidnap your guitar from you for a day). Operant conditioning works wonders.
  • MrTennis40
    Options
    Although all of those people have said the nice things that you need to hear. here is your key to SUCCESS!!!! As I have heard from so many trainers all of my life. QUIT MAKING EXCUSES!!! MAKE A PLAN! Set small goals and award yourself when you achieve them!(not a night out eating pizza and drinking beer either) There is no MAGIC FORMULA that will melt FAT off of you or your body! The work that you do, walking, running, treadmill, weightlifting, biking, jogging, set ups, push ups etc....this is the key!!!! Think of the weight that you are RIGHT NOW as you read this.....? How long did it take you to reach this weight? If you just answered years......then make a small goal to lose 5 lbs. Once you achieve that make another goal to lose 5 lbs...continue this process for 20 times and guess what you are now 100lbs lighter! use MyFitnessPal to track everything that you consume.....I mean everything including gum, mints, m&m's if you stick it in your mouth, then put your numbers on your MFP Ap! Food Intake that is monitored along with lifting weights and tons of cardio and you will lose that stubborn weight! Set yourself up with an achievable goal plan, and stick with it! GOOD LUCK!