Going to the Movies & Need healthy food ideas to Eat instead

Options
Hey guys so im going to the movies tomorrow, & im not a big fan of movie popcorn (i find it to salty) but i usually get a small popcorn anyway just to eat something throughout it, better then to get the chocolate & lollies. But this time Im wanting to eat some healthy but tasty foods instead that have low calories & will fill me up.

Do you guys have any tips on what i could get? or whats your favourite healthy thing to eat that i can make/buy & take in with me??

(The cinema i go to lets us take food in, =) & i usually get a slurpee rather then soft drink. there the only place that sells lemonade slurpee, its a must every time i go to the movies) (oh & im seeing 2 movies back to back so going to need to eat something!)

Thanks for all your tips =)

xx

Replies

• kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Movie theatre food is quite awful. I'd recommend eating before you go or just waiting to eat until you get back. Or, if you must chew something while watching a movie, bring some gum with you and water to fill yourself up. (Sneak water in though. Movie theatre water is way overpriced)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    OMG going to the movies suck without popcorn & a frozen coke! I also got into the idea of a bag of malteasers at the movies. It does make it hard, especially when thats all you can smell & hear people doing!!!!

I still take chocolate with me, just a small sized one so I don't feel I am missing out!! I have diet coke that I buy (I have a fear the movie ones have more sugar in them or something haha (if they're not bottled that is).

I'd love to hear other people's suggestions. Thanks for bringing it up!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    sneak in a bag of baby carrots!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I make my own air popped and sneak it in my purse.

Or I just get an enormous diet coke and sip it.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    snack bag of homemade trail mix? dried cranberries and sunflower seeds or almonds. seasoned-baked chick peas (crispy)
  • Tatyana130
    Options
    fat free frozen yogurt
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I make my own air popped and sneak it in my purse.

Or I just get an enormous diet coke and sip it.

^^This, exactly.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat at the movies? I prefer to eat before and just sit there and watch the movie comfortably.
  • TurnLeftNow
    Options
    I would suggest popping up some of your own popcorn and taking that. They have 100 calorie snack bags of popcorn that are pretty amazing. You could take that, or maybe some nuts or trail mix or something.

Maybe try not eating anything? I know that's not what you're really asking for... but movies aren't that bad without popcorn and snacks. Eventually you'll learn to enjoy movies and not feel like you need to be snacking on something.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat at the movies?

yes.

:)
  • browneyedgurl08
    Options
    Do you have to eat at the movies? I prefer to eat before and just sit there and watch the movie comfortably.

Im going to eat before but Im seeing 2 movies back to back, & i dont want to scoff something after & then overeat.
  • browneyedgurl08
    Options

Maybe try not eating anything? I know that's not what you're really asking for... but movies aren't that bad without popcorn and snacks. Eventually you'll learn to enjoy movies and not feel like you need to be snacking on something.

yea i was going to start doing that but im seeing 2 movies back to back, so that like over 4 hours of not haveing anything. but thanks for recommending that. =)
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    Options
    One of my favorite movie snacks (to smuggle in) is a sandwich made with hummus, arugula, parmesan, and black pepper!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, just eat before and/or after... and if you are like me, you will appreciate not needing a bathroom break during the most important scene in the movie from drinking the humongous soda!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options

yea i was going to start doing that but im seeing 2 movies back to back, so that like over 4 hours of not haveing anything. but thanks for recommending that. =)

Just take something small that will keep your blood sugar from crashing. I'd bring some raisins or dried mango or apricots or almonds or something. You can decide the portion ahead of the time so you don't sabotage yourself. A bottle of water would be good also if you can.

I'd plan on eating before & after and simply forget about a meal or having something to munch on for a good chunk of one or both of the movies. But that's just me.
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've taken an apple sliced up in a baggies with peanutbutter to go cups, celery sticks with peanutbutter to go cups, my new favorite crackers by Keebler TownHouse Flatbread Crisps (70cal/serving 6 crackers) with laughing cow cheese.

I don't always take my own snack from home. if I do, do movie popcorn it is the small plain, unbuttered.

And of course bottled water to...at the bottom of my purse.
  • browneyedgurl08
    Options
    thanks everyone for your help =) appreciate it!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I always sneak in a huge diet Coke. I know, not very healthy, but at least I get some flavor to prevent feeling deprived for zero calories.

Btw, you're right, it's better to have a smart snack than to stuff whatever if you're seeing two movies back-to-back, but for the future, maybe learn not to associate movies with food. I did, and it was tough at first, because I used to be the person who cares more about the popcorn than the movie, but once I managed to break the connection, resisting compelling smells became autopilot because eating at the movies isn't something I do anymore.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I asked about this a few weeks ago and got loads of suggestions. You can view the thread here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470027--healthy-cinema-snacks?error_user_id=14953177&error_username=AirCircleI&hl=cinema
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    there was a hungry girl episode about this a few weeks ago see if you can find it on her website maybe ??
    the only ones i remember was your own popcorn and little suckers