Loving my green smoothies for breakfast!

Options

Replies

• stitchinggirl
    Options
    This is one of my favorite things to eat, but I've gotten away from it lately. Need to find my way back to the goodness that is the Green Monster.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • mindysreadyforchange
    Options
    WOW I never thought of this!! Gonna try it out! Thanks for all the fab recipes!
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    boomp
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    So, can I use frozen spinach? You can not believe what they charge for spinach where I live...assuming it's even available. I suppose that's stupid, of course I CAN but how much, do you think?

I'm sure you can! I saw a few recipes online that used frozen spinach.

I'm trying this one tomorrow

almond milk
    peanut butter
    spinach
    Chocolate powder
    banana
    ice cubes-
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out I have

-4 cups of spinach
    -1/2 nonfat greek yogurt
    -1 cup of plain almond milk
    -1 tablespoon of peanut butter
    -1 frozen banana.

It's soo soo good!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For those that add the whey protein powder, does it make it frothy, almost mousse-like? I blended milk, a frozen banana and a scoop of chocolate whey protein isolate and it was so thick and mousse-like that I couldn't drink it. The flavor was good but the texture was awful.

So glad this was posted because I wanted to start doing green smoothies. Can anyone suggest a blender? I need a new one as mine doesn't blend ice very well anymore.
  • kristina0206
    Options
    bump
  • gem_angel
    Options
    For those that add the whey protein powder, does it make it frothy, almost mousse-like? I blended milk, a frozen banana and a scoop of chocolate whey protein isolate and it was so thick and mousse-like that I couldn't drink it. The flavor was good but the texture was awful.

So glad this was posted because I wanted to start doing green smoothies. Can anyone suggest a blender? I need a new one as mine doesn't blend ice very well anymore.

my guess would be not enough liquid because frozen banana is like ice cream when blended. i would either use more milk or add some yogurt or something. you will probably get a lot of opinions on the blender, but my personal favorite is the ninja.
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    bump for later.... need to get the nerve to gulp down spinach without my gag reflexes kickin in. :ohwell:
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I usually put just half a scoop of whey, though I recently changed to hemp protein powder, the less animal products in my life the better :)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    to the person who asked for blender suggestions...

I suggest THE VITAMIX

im about to go make a berry green smoothie right now. <3

also, i like to throw in a scoop of Amazing Green Grass Super Food Powder (its greens + antioxidants)
  • sherryberry07
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Vitamix. It is an expensive blender but it is amazing. They have a great warranty and great customer service.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Vitamix. It is an expensive blender but it is amazing. They have a great warranty and great customer service.

and it lasts a lifetime.

i cant say the same about any of the others ive had (including my old kitchenaid blender, and the ninja). my cousin has had hers for 25 years. almost as long as ive been alive. and i love that its multi-purpose, not just a blender. i make soups in it all the time - and i use it for chopping stuf that i cant (onions). i want to get the grains attachment, but i dont NEED it at the moment
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    We are just starting to drink these. This is what we did yesterday, it made 4 cups worth that I divided into three servings for my sons & me.

3 cups spinach
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup orange juice
    1 banana
    2 cups frozen pineapple

182 cals per serving

Tomorrow we are trying one with blueberries and strawberries, though they might not likt that it won't be as green as the other.