Green Smoothies

Options
I just came across information on green smoothies and I am definetly interested in these! Does anyone eat them on a regular basis and have they helped you lose weight? How many times a day do you eat them? Any information is welcomed!

Replies

• msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have a Green Monster (www.ohsheglows.com).

- 1c almond milk
    - Large handfull spinach
    - few drops of mint extract OR 1tbsp peanut butter/amond butter
    - 1 tbsp Chia seeds
    - 1 or 1.5 scoops raw vegan protein powder
    - a few ice cubes
    Blend, blend, blend!!! It is around 400ish calories.

Sometimes I will add mango, blueberries or other fruit, depending on what I have to use up! As far as helping me loose weight? I am not sure. Once and a while I will have one for brekkie and dinner. I only do that if I have overeaten for a few days.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    That recipe ^^^sounds great! Will have to look into vegan protein powder.
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy it on Amazon~ $25 vs. $45 at my health food store~ Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder. It is good in smoohies. I sometimes mix it in my overnight oats, but it tastes a little chalky. But it is the only one I will use!!! Try it!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of green smoothies. My recipe is basically Greens + Fruit + Protein + Fiber.

Greens:
    Spinach
    Kale
    Spring Mix
    Chard
    Any other leafy green

Fruit:
    Any (I usually use blueberries for everything)

Protein:
    Hemp Protein Powder
    Spirulina
    Chlorella

Fiber:
    Flax Seeds
    Sesame Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Chia Seeds

I also like to add Superfoods for more nutrients:
    raw cocoa powder
    maca powder
    acai berry powder
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I buy it on Amazon~ $25 vs. $45 at my health food store~ Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder. It is good in smoohies. I sometimes mix it in my overnight oats, but it tastes a little chalky. But it is the only one I will use!!! Try it!

wow this stuff looks amazing!

Organic RAW Sprout Blend
    Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Protein, Organic Amaranth Sprout, Organic Quinoa Sprout, Organic Millet Sprout, Organic Buckwheat Sprout, Organic Garbanzo Bean Sprout, Organic Lentil Sprout, Organic Adzuki Bean Sprout, Organic Flax Seed Sprout, Organic Sunflower Seed Sprout, Organic Pumpkin Seed Sprout, Organic Chia Seed Sprout, Organic Sesame Seed Sprout

RAW Probiotic & Enzyme Blend
    High Protein Chlorella, Proteases, Bacillus subtilis

It's more expensive than what I use (Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder 3 lbs. for $30 at amazon) but I can tell from the nutritional facts that it has more vitamins and minerals.
  • ericat18
    ericat18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have them at least once a week. Our favorite is bananas, pineapple, and spinach. Today I did bananas, frozen peaches (from last summer's harvest of our tree), frozen strawberries, and spinach. We usually have an egg or some other protein with it. I don't think green smoothies alone would help you lose weight but if you are doing everything else they are a great way to eat more fruit and veggies.
  • bchmura
    Options
    I just came across information on green smoothies and I am definetly interested in these! Does anyone eat them on a regular basis and have they helped you lose weight? How many times a day do you eat them? Any information is welcomed!

Every morning, sometimes just by itself and sometimes with some sort of protein. Very similar to one of the other ones mentioned:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup frozen mixed fruit (partially thawed)
    1 cup frozen kale
    1 scoop sun warrior vegan raw protein powder (substitute whatever you prefer)

Immersion blender is fantastic if you are the only one eating it.

So someone else mentioned items like:

Hemp Protein Powder
    Spirulina
    Chlorella

I would suggest starting slowly and at lower quantities to make sure your body does not have an issue with any of them.

I started down a path really quickly, made my own protein drink, started a bunch of supplements, and ended up with really bad abdominal pains. Ultrasounds and bloodtests were clear. My doctor had me stop everything for two weeks and it went away. I am not in the process of adding things back in, one per two weeks, till i figure out what got me.

I am definitely not saying those things are bad for you, just you may have an intolerance or something you discover.

There are a bunch of good recipes for making your own protein powder out there on the net - and it ends up being cheaper too, worth looking into.

My only other advice is to make sure to have vegetables in there... my one cup of fruit throws me over the sugar recommendation for the day... so kale, spinach, cucumber, etc... anything. My family almost evicted me one morning when I threw a cup of frozen peas, carrot, and corn into the blender (yes, corn is not so good for you - I know now)
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    So someone else mentioned items like:

Hemp Protein Powder
    Spirulina
    Chlorella

I would suggest starting slowly and at lower quantities to make sure your body does not have an issue with any of them.

I started down a path really quickly, made my own protein drink, started a bunch of supplements, and ended up with really bad abdominal pains. Ultrasounds and bloodtests were clear. My doctor had me stop everything for two weeks and it went away. I am not in the process of adding things back in, one per two weeks, till i figure out what got me.

I am definitely not saying those things are bad for you, just you may have an intolerance or something you discover.

I suggest only adding a tablespoon or so per smoothie of chlorella or spirulina. The digestive system can take time to get used to them. Also superfoods can improve your immune system so much that your body will try to get rid of a lot of toxins at once and can cause problems.