BLOWOUT QUESTION

Options
Hey without sounding completley stupid here, if i have been religeous all week with eating and working out and tonight go over my calories when im out on an anniversay dinner, if ive lost any weight this week could i ruin that tonight when i jump on the scales tomorrow? I usually follow weight watchers and always lose a bit in the first week and i can genuinley feel it, but ive worked out so hard this week, and eating so well, but dont feel like i have lost :-(

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if ive lost any weight this week could i ruin that tonight when i jump on the scales tomorrow?

no.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    dont fret.. you've prob done well!

just get er done.. you'll be happy you did. keep up the great work !
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to hurt...If it's higher in sodium you may notice extra weight if you haven't had a good amount of water, but it's not going to me weight from food/calories.
  • farmerstan
    Options
    I give myself one blowout day a week. Odds are if you went out to eat it will just be water weight when you step on the scale.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I I think it depends. Like, if youve done well for a week and now have a week's calorie deficit of, say, 3000 & tonight at dinner you eat 3000 calories in addition to your maintenance cals, then you would level out, I think. So total your calorie deficit for the week and then choose food that is much less than that.

Really though, even if it did cause you to level out, it's an anniversary. It only happens once a year. Eat something you enjoy, and if thats high cal, eat less of it. Enjoy yourself!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Restaurant food is notorious for high sodium content. You will likely show a gain tomorrow, but it is a good bet that it will be temporary.

Do your math. If you have been eating at a deficit, you would have to eat ALL the deficit, PLUS 3500 cal, to gain a pound. The magic of this is in the long-term average. Eat slightly less than maintenance, on average, consistently, and be patient.
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    "all work and no play..."
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    Every week I have a "blowout"! It's called "Spike Day" LoL
  • scotland82
    Options
    has anyone been on weight watchers before? do you think MFP is better and did it work better for you? my trainer has me eating 6 small meals a day and i feel full all the time, so feeling like im eating too much!
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    has anyone been on weight watchers before?

I did it religiously for a month (30 days), didn't lose an ounce! Plus, I hated converting all those points.
    It was too much trouble for me.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I generally eat way above my "allowed" calories every Saturday (refeed day).....and I'm still losing weight, you may see some spikes in weight in the days immediately following your "blowout" but that will typically be due to water retention and bowel contents.

I'm familiar with the WW concept and my personal preference leans towards MFP as I find it so much more flexible and intuitive (and it's free)....But you gotta do what works and feel right for YOU

With regards to your statement:
    ...and i feel full all the time, so feeling like im eating too much!

If you feel full and are losing weight you're doing it right.....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey without sounding completley stupid here, if i have been religeous all week with eating and working out and tonight go over my calories when im out on an anniversay dinner, if ive lost any weight this week could i ruin that tonight when i jump on the scales tomorrow? I usually follow weight watchers and always lose a bit in the first week and i can genuinley feel it, but ive worked out so hard this week, and eating so well, but dont feel like i have lost :-(

If your glucose stores have been going down the whole week, and you just filled them up and had water, yes.

Same as the sodium comment. If last weight in was prior low sodium, and this is higher, yes.

But not real weight that you should care about.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is a simple math question of calories in verses calories out.

In addition, timing is a factor. One spurge night might only cost you .2 over the long haul, but the very next day or two, you might be up a few pounds (due to sodium or body shock).

And for whatever reason, sometimes a splurge does not do any harm. Other times, it seems to. Every once in a while, a splurge assists the process.

Having said all that, one meal is not the issue. What you do the rest of your life is the issue.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the Weightwatchers plan as I have never personally used it and lost weight purely through following MFP's rules.

A guide for you is that you would need to consume (approx) 3500 calories over your maintenance calorie allowance to gain a pound so a night out wouldn't do any harm, however still try and make low calorie decisions so you don't end up going off the rails! : )

Good luck and enjoy!!! xx