Working Long Hours and Working Out

Options
2»

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I am very fond of the saying "If you want to do something you'll do it..If not you'll find an excuse" I had to learn that quick. Another person recommended finding something you like to do, which is great advice, if you find something you enjoy you are much less likely for find any reasons as to why you can't do something. Working out and changing your whole lifestyle can be hard, and you are gonna hurt or be tired if you are doing it right, as long as you are eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and finding ways to work out you will have nothing but success, you can do this!
  • kayp1
    kayp1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a WII, and get the Wii sport, fit and dance DVD's. They are fun and good exercise at the same time. MFP also have most of the wii exercises already logged in and you will be surprised how many calories you can burn off without leaving the house.:happy:
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. I usually work 8 hours teaching/examining and handing horses/ some desk work in front of the computer and occasionally it extends to 10 or even 12 hours. I also have a second job as a translator which usually means I work about 2-3 h extra in the night, and quite often (i.e. every couple of days) I have to pull all nighters. My personal record was a bit more than 48 h straight of no sleep just work. The perks to this are the fact that my weekends are almost always free (except for the occasional nightshif0t and/or urgent deadlines) and I have longer holidays (unpaid though) than the usual employees... ANYWAY I do workout as much as I can (go by foot at work- 50 minutes of brisk walking/ day, my job is pretty physical some days though thoroughly sedentary the other and I try to go as much as possible on days where I dont have translating jobs waiting for me. My gym is open until late at night from early in the morning, I do the 30 DS every day no excuses. It's only 23 minutes, and it's a release from all the work in front the computer I have to do when I get home. BUT there are days where deadlines ore extreme tiredness will not allow me to workout. I did have a free week off the job this week though (still worked about 8 h/ day on my translations :yawn:

It truly is difficult to find a balance, so you just have to gibe your best and if some days means your best is going to sleep or just resting it's ok, your body needs it! :flowerforyou:
  • bryonysten
    Options
    HI
    I think the key is finding something you enjoy. Last year I was working in a place 2 hours commute from my house. Thats 2 hours morning and night, 4 hours per day. The cheapest way to get there was by train, and the cheapest way to get to the station was by bike. I cycled 7 miles every day including when it was snowing, -10 or bucketing it down with rain. To make my train and get to work on time I had to leave the house at 6.30am, and the earliest I ever made it home was 7.30pm. Working out for me in the evening I knew wouldn't work as often I didn't get home until later than that and then I would need to go to bed just to repeat the whole process.
    I signed up for personal training twice a week (I know its a luxury, but that was my solution). The trainer came to my house at 5am for an hours workout giving me 30minutes to shower, change, make lunch and get on my bike to the station. Waking up at 4.30am wasn't fun, and the sessions were hard. Knowing that he had got up at 3.30am (!! crazy trainer !!) though made me do it.
    I think you have to make it part of your routine, can you incorporate exercise into your commute for example? If you are on your feet / walking around can you get a pair of MBTs or other 'negative heel' trainers to use (the ones I have are leather and smart enough for an office), get yourself a pedometer too. Make time at the weekends to do your 'hardcore' exercises and just do smaller sessions during the week. Exercise during the ad breaks. Get a stepper, a hula hoop (I love hula hooping in front of trash, less guilt!), even a skipping rope.
    Keep mixing it up or you will get bored and stop. Find a new thing to try nearby you can do in the evenings / weekends, classes are great Bootcamp, climbing walls, Salsa, Aquaaerobics, whatever it is find something you love and then it is something you look forward to and not a chore.
    Currently I am living in India, there are few open spaces near me so I exercise in my flat, and when I want to go outside I run around and around the bottom of the apartment building (looking like a freak) following couch to 10K. If I can do it here.....
    Good luck, and remember, the beginning is always the hardest, it takes 3 weeks to make something a habit... believe it or not I miss my 7 mile cycle (though not the early mornings!)
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you want it badly enough you'll find a way to get it. Today was a 13.5 hour day for me. I got up at 5 am and worked out and when I got an hour break I slipped back into my gym clothes and ran. It happens all the time but if you want to do it you quit making excuses and get it done. I work 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week and still manage to get 2-3 long workouts and 3 two-a-days in. Just make it happen. What ever it takes. Some things that help me, "pain is weakness leaving the body" "the sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise" and from some brilliant MFPee-er "the only workout you will regret is the one you didn't do."

Haha when i used to work in a horse clinic in Austria, I had a colleague who used to run on her lunch break. I think it's awesome!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Find other type of exercise! I don't think you should force yourself to do 1 type of exercise if you really don't like it, you will not be able to do it for long. See if there's anything you would enjoy more and is within reach. And work yourself up! Don't start with something to difficult and exhaust yourself from the beginning.

For example, I really enjoy the Body Pump classes - lifting weights - but after getting back from a pretty long break, I tried to pick it up where I left off. Of course, my muscle wasn't in the best shape and this resulted in 2 weeks of not going to the gym. I started again with less weight and will work myself back to where I left off. And it feels great again.

So find your type of exercise and enjoy it!
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Are you due for new work shoes? If you're on your feet all day shoes with good support or maybe a new pair of insoles might help. Just a thought.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    i work a flexible schedule, but often end up working really longer hours for several days (sometimes weeks) in a row. i understand where you're coming from. I have been successful at taking group classes with a designated time, especially when you're required to sign up. Once I sign up, I make it a priority in my calendar to be there. If I back out, I would have the trainer to hold me accountable (and a $25 fee now where I'm at).
    Before when I would just want to work out on my own I would always find some excuse not to. But now I'm usually at a boot camp class at 6am, and working 10-16 hour days is not uncommon. get home at 10:15pm, and go to bed so I can get back up & do it again. I know that if I had not been working out through this really stressful time in my work life, I would likely be sick and so run down and SOOOOO crabby. My boot camp classes are a perfect stress reliever. It sucks waking up so early, but I feel so much better when I'm all finished.
    Best of luck! Keep us informed how things are going!

You have a similar schedule to me it seems... i'm working 2 full time jobs that fill 6 days a week. I'm up at 4:30am Mon-Fri and put in about 15-18 hour days (including commute)... then I work out at night around 9:30pm. I found I could stick with the 30DS because it was ONLY 30 minutes. In the summer when I only work 1 full time job I'm going to try either Insanity or P90X!

To the OP: I can tell you when I did 30DS I would have good days and bad... some times the workout felt SOOO hard and painful, and other times it was really refreshing. But just do it! Now I've been switching up between Ripped in 30, Killer Buns and Thighs, and 30DS, and a 1 hour circuit power class on Wednesdays lately but still doing at least 30min/day. It just feels good!
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!!! I really appreciate your comment's!!
    It is time for me to get to work!! No MoreExcuses!!