Exercise routines you do at home

Options
What are some non-machine exercises you all do at home? NYC has had insane amounts of rain and I haven't been able to bike much (my only source of exercise.)

Tips would be great, thanks!

Replies

• rr_collins
    Options
    I live in WA state, rainy state, so I feel ya! One thing that is great is using my ON DEMAND menu option from my cable tv provider. There are many excersice programs to watch and do at home and when the rain isnt coming home you can venture out.

Hope this helps... Reg
  • sevenfourshoreline
    Options
    Spent the first half of my life in WA, I know how it goes :)
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, squats, run in circles-- you can do almost anything. Go to this site and you can do it infront of your computer. :bigsmile: http://www.exercisetv.tv/ Good luck there are tons of things you can do at home, without any equipment.:happy:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What are some non-machine exercises you all do at home? NYC has had insane amounts of rain and I haven't been able to bike much (my only source of exercise.)

Jump rope is my favorite at home. I also have small dumbells I use for tricep exercises as well as look on youtube for new exercise routines that target certain areas of my body and try those out.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you like exercise videos go out and get Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shread. It's a great workout and you should enjoy that one!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I dance to a CD that my husband made up of all my favorite "oldies" songs such as : "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored!
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun too! :smile:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    My suggestion would be to invest in a trainer. That way you can set your bike up in your living room on those rainy days (and all winter). You can get a decent one for under $200.00. Well worth the investment. Check out your local bike shops...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I dance to a CD that my husband made up of all my favorite "oldies" songs such as : "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored!
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun too! :smile:

Oh-- I LOVED dancing to all those songs-- my little Capezio shoes, pleather pants, shoulder pads--

God, I loved the '80s-- :wink:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You could try some workout DVDs. I live is a really snowy state so I did DVDs a lot this past winter. I love Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Biggest Loser Cardio Max...and there are some fun cardio dance ones too! I usually find pretty good prices at amazon.com. And they have reviews on amazon too...so you can try and get a DVD that actually breaks a pretty good sweat!

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • andyz_grrrl
    Options
    Beachbody.com has the most amazing workout videos. I own Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, and P90X. I have never seen a bad product from them. I lost 80 lbs after my daughter was born with Slim in 6. Now that I've had triplets I am just about to finish my first round of SLim in 6 and I've lost 25 lbs in 4 1/2 weeks. I'm moving on to Turbo Jam next which really melts you away. I can't wait!!!!!

I hate the gym and with four kids under 5, I just don't have the time. Beachbody is my refuge for all thing fitness.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Beachbody is awesome....it works and you see results in 1 month- sometimes earlier but it takes a little time to get use to the routines. Good luck. I love working out at home - my firends all have excuses this way it's all about me and my body.
  • BrenNew
    Options

Oh-- I LOVED dancing to all those songs-- my little Capezio shoes, pleather pants, shoulder pads--

God, I loved the '80s-- :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: It's fun, that's for sure! :smile:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I totally have mix CDs just for working out/dancing! I just push play and dance away in my room!!! It's so much fun! It's not even like working out! But you break a really good sweat! And I must say that 80s songs are some of my favorites! I was born in '84 so I wasn't really old enough to appreciate the music during its prime...but my sister is 13 years older than me and was a teenager in the 80s so I grew up with it - 80s music is near and dear to my heart! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I was born in '84

133914.png

okay-- ouch. :angry:

:wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of shape you are in now, but for me, I love the original Sweatin' To The Oldies. I do it every day, and it's my main source of aerobic exercise. My 14 year old who only has a few pounds to lose does it with me most of the time- she just puts more energy into the moves. We both sweat up a storm. I definitely recommend finding a video/dvd that you love.

A mini trampoline and your fave music can be a good workout. I've also used the Tony Little Gazelle and loved it, but it took up too much space. Dancing is great too, but you have to dance hard and work up a sweat for 30 minutes.

The best thing about a video is you can put it in and tell yourself you're doing it 'til the end no matter what- that's a guaranteed 30, 45 or whatever minutes of exercise every day. :flowerforyou:

* I have fibromyalgia as well as being overweight, so most workout videos are wayyy too much for me to handle.
  • BrenNew
    Options

I was born in '84

133914.png

okay-- ouch. :angry:

:wink:

I'll second that ouch! :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I can really get my HR up by slipping on the headphones and doing knee lifts, hamstring kickbacks while lifting my arms in the air. I do push ups and tricep dips. Jump rope
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options

Try the Tae Bo videos by Billy Blanks and/or the 30 day shred. I recommend both, they seriously kick my butt everytime I do them :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, squats, run in circles-- you can do almost anything. Go to this site and you can do it infront of your computer. :bigsmile: http://www.exercisetv.tv/ Good luck there are tons of things you can do at home, without any equipment.:happy:

Thanks SO much for the link to that site. My daughter, Meg, and I are loving it! I just did 40 minutes of cardio, and she did 50. There are some great, fun workouts on there- for FREE. :smile: