Young Woman with 100+ to lose AND dealing with Chronic Illne

Options
Hi everyone!
I am new here! Just started last week and lost a quick 13 lbs! I'm beyond proud of myself.

I am significantly overweight (starting at 250-ish. Eek!) and am aiming to lose 100+ in the grand scheme of things but right now focusing on hitting just 199 (Lets get those 2's outta here!)

I have a boat load of medical problems which significantly restrict my activity. For now I'm not allowed to Bend, Twist, Lift over 5lbs, Jump, Run, Stretch and a few other stupid rules. So, I am currently focusing primarily on my food intake, as well as breathing and using my own body as an excercise tool (leg lifts, arms out, etc). I am bedridden a lot, and it comes and goes in spurts when I am unable to feel my legs, and therefor can't walk, so I'd LOVE some fun ideas for that! (Even if you don't deal with it personally, maybe you have a creative movement I can try?!?!?!)

I am looking to make some awesome and inspiring friends on here to keep me motivated.

I am 24 years old and a mom to a 2 year old. I am also married to an amazing man who is starting this weight-loss journey with me. He doesn't need to lose weight, but rather knows the benefit of getting all the junk out of the house and not destroying my life-change program.

Please add me, I'd love to help you shrink as well!

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome

I can totally understand the lack of mobility, I have a lung disease so rely mainly on the diet part to shift my weight.

Not really sure on any ideas for exercise for your legs, perhaps try resistance bands, you could hook them under your foot and lift...passive exercise for your legs but a bit of an upper body workout??

best of luck
  • MollyBK87
    Options
    oops, I'm fighting with the forum format! Sorry!
  • MollyBK87
    Options
    Hi and welcome

I can totally understand the lack of mobility, I have a lung disease so rely mainly on the diet part to shift my weight.

Not really sure on any ideas for exercise for your legs, perhaps try resistance bands, you could hook them under your foot and lift...passive exercise for your legs but a bit of an upper body workout??

best of luck

Its so hard to be immobile! I hardly have the strength to wash my own hair! Not so much because of lack of muscle but rather because of fatigue.

I find myself eating only about 500-600 calories a day, so I know my body is in starvation-mode. When you are having mobility problems how do you make sure your eating at a healthy level? (If that is at all something you deal with!)
  • pinguwings
    Options
    Congratulations on the start of your journey.

Have you tried gentle swimming? It's non weight bearing and uses all your muscles. So much fun too.
  • pinguwings
    Options
    Have just read your next comment. May be worth asking for some medical input as 500-600 cals is too low
  • MollyBK87
    Options
    Yes, I LOVE doing my "Water Zumba". (except I'm easily 40 years younger than everyone else in the class!

And I have my doctor helping me with my food consumption, but they tell me I need to eat, which I'm well aware of... I just don't always have the strength or ability to get out of bed to get the food! I've been trying to leave snacks around the bed, but I haven't found a healthy option to leave there that I enjoy!

Thanks!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

I find myself eating only about 500-600 calories a day, so I know my body is in starvation-mode. When you are having mobility problems how do you make sure your eating at a healthy level? (If that is at all something you deal with!)

That would have to be something you discussed with a Dr or nutritionist.

At 500-600 calories starvation mode is the least of your worries to be honest, malnutrition is a bigger worry. At 500-600 calories muscle loss is almost a certainty which will further debilitate you and lower your metabolic rate even more. (vicious ever decreasing circle)

Do see someone, see if you can get have you metabolic rate tested. Eat as lean and clean as you can until you can see someone to work out what will work best for you. Also take a good vitamin and mineral supplement to help replace what your diet may be lacking.
  • MollyBK87
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you concern. I just had another surgery on my kidneys this past week, so, while I've been doing awesome at recording my imput and movement, I've been terrible about reaching out to others.

I have been working REALLY hard on getting my imput to a minimum of 800 calories a day, and spreading out little snacks throughout the day. I keep a basket of fruit and crackers by my bed now, so that I can eat a bit when I'm stuck in bed. Its soooo boring!

I've been working with my doctor, and his feeling is as long as I can keep working on more intake he isn't concerned about muscle at this time. I'm stuck in bed 75% of the time anyways, so muscle-work is hard to begin with.

Thanks all!

AND I've lost 21 lbs already! Yippeeeeee! (And its funny, cause I'm definitely eating more to lose more! weird!)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am new here! Just started last week and lost a quick 13 lbs! I'm beyond proud of myself.

I am significantly overweight (starting at 250-ish. Eek!) and am aiming to lose 100+ in the grand scheme of things but right now focusing on hitting just 199 (Lets get those 2's outta here!)

i started at 260 and ive only lost about 6.5 lbs in the 3 weeks ive been here :[

im 27.
    and ive been ill since birth. yay
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try to get into the pool as much as possible. It will really help build you up. I swim often and it helps with my back and knees. I can not do normal excercise. Feel free to add me if you would like.